iPad Air cases

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Man...I always want to be the guy that puts a cool color on his iPad...however, I ALWAYS revert back to understated black/black carbon fiber. My wife won't let me get anything else now because I always end up back with black. ;)
Can't go wrong with black, but I do like colored cases. I'm using a vivid hot pink/black Spigen bumper my 5s right now.

On second thought, I might go with a beige Apple Smart Case. It looks like the Invellops case was made for the 1st generation mini and it covers the noise canceling mic on the back. I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. I can't decide because it looks like the Apple case doesn't have magnets on the back to hold the front cover in place during use, whereas the Invellops does.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Can't go wrong with black, but I do like colored cases. I'm using a vivid hot pink/black Spigen bumper my 5s right now.

On second thought, I might go with a beige Apple Smart Case. It looks like the Invellops case was made for the 1st generation mini and it covers the noise canceling mic on the back. I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. I can't decide because it looks like the Apple case doesn't have magnets on the back to hold the front cover in place during use, whereas the Invellops does.
I went with the Apple Smart cover for my Air. I, too, was frustrated that Apple went with Poly only for the smart covers and leather with the smart cases. I think the smart case adds too much bulk to the Air and takes way from the whole reason I'd WANT the Air...it's smaller footprint! I also didn't want to spend that kind of money on a case that I won't use continually...knowing that I'd be getting a keyboard of some sort as well.

I gotta say...I like the Smart Cover...even the Poly material. I put a Lucky Skin on the back of my Air and an InvisibleShield HD on the screen. Couple that with a Smart Cover and I have great scratch protection. When I need a little more protection or a more "professional" look, I go with the Moko Slim Folio I have. I pre-ordered that before the Air came out, so I got it for $.01 plus $4.98 shipping! Their customer service is EXCELLENT too. The first one I had didn't sleep/wake consistently, so they sent me another one which works perfectly. They are also planning on sending me one of their smart cases for my trouble. AWESOME!

I'd try the Moko Smart Case if you want a smart case type cover. They will have colors eventually and the price is SO low. That's my $.02. :)

Oh...and I have the Apple iPhone 5S leather case on my phone in...wait for it...black. ;)

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013
I went with the Apple Smart cover for my Air. I, too, was frustrated that Apple went with Poly only for the smart covers and leather with the smart cases. I think the smart case adds too much bulk to the Air and takes way from the whole reason I'd WANT the Air...it's smaller footprint! I also didn't want to spend that kind of money on a case that I won't use continually...knowing that I'd be getting a keyboard of some sort as well.

I gotta say...I like the Smart Cover...even the Poly material. I put a Lucky Skin on the back of my Air and an InvisibleShield HD on the screen. Couple that with a Smart Cover and I have great scratch protection. When I need a little more protection or a more "professional" look, I go with the Moko Slim Folio I have. I pre-ordered that before the Air came out, so I got it for $.01 plus $4.98 shipping! Their customer service is EXCELLENT too. The first one I had didn't sleep/wake consistently, so they sent me another one which works perfectly. They are also planning on sending me one of their smart cases for my trouble. AWESOME!

I'd try the Moko Smart Case if you want a smart case type cover. They will have colors eventually and the price is SO low. That's my $.02. :)

Oh...and I have the Apple iPhone 5S leather case on my phone in...wait for it...black. ;)
Thanks!

Do you have the link to amazon?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013

I just took a look at the Moko slim folio. Only thing I really don't like is how it has to fold in the front vs folding in the back (like Apple's Smart Cover) and what is that string that wraps around it?

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I wasn't too sure about the fold in the front before I got it as well...however, when used as a stand, you have four different angles and it is STURDY. It's not going to fall over like the Smart Cover can. The strap is used to secure the front cover when it's folded all the way around the back. (The previous edition had a better solution for that...but it is what it is) I've found I don't really need it as it stays put pretty well on its own.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I can't decide because it looks like the Apple case doesn't have magnets on the back to hold the front cover in place during use, whereas the Invellops does.
I forgot...the Smart Cover has some magnets that hold it back pretty well when folded back on the iPad. However, when I'm using it for longer periods, I just take the cover off. Makes it easier. :)

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013
I forgot...the Smart Cover has some magnets that hold it back pretty well when folded back on the iPad. However, when I'm using it for longer periods, I just take the cover off. Makes it easier. :)
Does this case have a sleep/wake function like the Smart Cover? Magnets.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Does this case have a sleep/wake function like the Smart Cover? Magnets.

I was talking about the Apple Smart Cover...so yes. As far as I know, all of the Moko cases have magnets for the sleep/wake. The folio does for sure as I own it.

Sent using iCafe app

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013
Moko has one on amazon for $12.99 that looks like the style that I want actually. Just iPad air case on amazon and it's #2. I think I'll try that one out.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I ended up getting a light grey Apple Smart Cover tonight at Best Buy. I used a blue Smart Cover on my non-retina mini, but I sold it along with the iPad. I decided I wanted to go with a more neutral color this time. It looks pretty good with the space grey. The dark grey is darker than the iPad and the light grey is lighter, but I like a little contrast.

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013
I got the Moko slim folding case case today. It's ok, but adds way too much bulk. Returning it.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I got the Moko slim folding case case today. It's ok, but adds way too much bulk. Returning it.

If that's too bulky for your taste, you may wanna go with a TPU skin or a sticker skin. The Moko's are as thin of good protection you'll get. :/

Sent using iCafe app

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013
If that's too bulky for your taste, you may wanna go with a TPU skin or a sticker skin. The Moko's are as thin of good protection you'll get. :/

Sent using iCafe app
I might have to use 2 pieces like I did on my iPad mini. Smart Cover for the front and hard shell that snapped in the back.

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013

Sent using iCafe app
Actually Moko makes another slim version called ultra slim smart shell. I'll try that one out.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011

The smart case for the air doesn't have the magnets on the back so I'm sure the mini smart case won't either.

Sent from my iPhone using

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
What magnets on the back are you talking about?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What magnets on the back are you talking about?
The product description for the Invellops case said it not only had magnets on the front but also had them on the back. This was to keep the front flap magnetized to the back of the case during use.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The smart case for the air doesn't have the magnets on the back so I'm sure the mini smart case won't either.
I decided I didn't want any bulk on the back, so I just went with an Apple Smart Cover. That's what I used on my non-retina mini as well and I really liked it.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I don seem to mind the bulk of the smart case it seems pretty minimal but I came from a lifeproof case on my 3. I don't like to scratch my I devices so I always use a case but now I'm thinking of getting a skin on the back and going with the cover instead.

Sent from my iPad using my finger.