iPad Air teardown shows lower build cost than third-gen iPad

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Higher prices? Isn't the cost of an iPad Air the same as the cost of an iPad 4 last year?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Higher prices? Isn't the cost of an iPad Air the same as the cost of an iPad 4 last year?
My apologies, I meant higher prices when compared to other tablets.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They also provide better support for their software and hardware, have higher quality iPad apps and their devices hold their value much better.

There a lot of other costs to consider besides the parts such as manufacturing, research and development, marketing and support.

They are in the businesss to make money. I love how some people construe their wanting to profit as greed.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
They also provide better support for their software and hardware, have higher quality iPad apps and their devices hold their value much better.

There a lot of other costs to consider besides the parts such as manufacturing, research and development, marketing and support.

They are in the businesss to make money. I love how some people construe their wanting to profit as greed.
Europa, surely you're not implying that companies are not greedy. All companies are on a never ending quest to increase profits year after year. This is a form of greed in my book. I think this is fine as long as they do not gouge costumers. Apple is not gouging costumers for all the reasons you just explained which I happen to agree 100%.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
The resale value of Apple products usually stay at a similar ratio to their retail value. I find that after indirectly paying the subsidy to my carrier I am able to sell my old model for close to what I purchased it for. Try and do that with any non Apple smart phone.