iPad Air teardown shows lower build cost than third-gen iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by liberated, Nov 5, 2013.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Higher prices? Isn't the cost of an iPad Air the same as the cost of an iPad 4 last year?

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

My apologies, I meant higher prices when compared to other tablets.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They also provide better support for their software and hardware, have higher quality iPad apps and their devices hold their value much better.

There a lot of other costs to consider besides the parts such as manufacturing, research and development, marketing and support.

They are in the businesss to make money. I love how some people construe their wanting to profit as greed.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Europa, surely you're not implying that companies are not greedy. All companies are on a never ending quest to increase profits year after year. This is a form of greed in my book. I think this is fine as long as they do not gouge costumers. Apple is not gouging costumers for all the reasons you just explained which I happen to agree 100%.

6. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

The resale value of Apple products usually stay at a similar ratio to their retail value. I find that after indirectly paying the subsidy to my carrier I am able to sell my old model for close to what I purchased it for. Try and do that with any non Apple smart phone.