iPad as Book Reader?

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by shakey55, Oct 24, 2012.

1. shakey55

shakey55 New Member

I'm thinking of getting my wife an ipad mini so among other things, she can use it as an ereader. What are people's thoughts and do they use their ipad as a ereader. Are there a large range of books avilable

'shakey'

2. Jsims1

Jsims1 Member
    Bronze

I just got an iPad 3. Before I was using my 4s to read things on my kindle app. The iPad is a huge improvement. I can only imagine they'd be just as good on a mini.

As far as book selection... Just download the kindle app. Then you have the whole amazon kindle book selection to choose from.

3. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

There's also the iBook store from Apple and you can import any ePub or PDF into the ipad.

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I've read a few books on iPad and love it!

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread pre-fix added.

6. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

iPad 2 here and one of my primary uses for it is ebook reading. I use the Kindle app mostly but have a couple of books and pdf documents in the iBook app as well. The iPad in general is a fantastic ebook reader. Prior to coming back to the iPad I was using a Kindle fire for ebooks so size wise, the iPad mini will be comparable and it was fine. The benefit of the mini will be the small size and weight savings over either so I'd say that if she is comfortable with the concept of electronic books and readers, it will be fine. I mention that only because my wife is a book purist and really prefers to hold a book. She just doesn't care for the ebook concept which is unfortunate because she devours books and always has one going.

7. imotionb18

imotionb18 Member
    Bronze

I love my ipad 2 but it's horrible for reading Imo. I could never get used to it compared to my original nook. Too big Imo. I bought a nook tablet for my wife on her bday, and more and more I find myself self using it instead of my ipad. I guess a tablet closer to 7 inches is better me. Still trying to decide between a mini and a nexus 7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The lightweight iPad mini will be an excellent e-reader. My iPad 3 is an excellent e-reader as well, though a bit heavy for lifting above my head while reading in bed .

9. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I use my iPad 1 with my wife's nook account. I love it.

10. jooley

jooley Member
    Bronze

I have the nexus 7 that I use for reading, but I'm just not comfortable in the Android ecosystem. I'll get the iPad Mini, but I'm waiting for the cellular version because I want GPS. I've found it to be pretty handy in my nexus 7.
    I'll keep my iPad 3, since I can't imagine using the smaller screen for everything, but I'm looking forward to the lighter weight of the mini.
    I held the Mini today, compared it to my nexus and it is MUCH lighter. There's not a lot of noticeable difference in the screen.

11. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Just to give an update the iPad mini is awesome for using as an ebook reader. It's light and the only thing I had to do with my kindle app was increase the print size and the light settings.

Sent from my iPad mini using iCafe app

12. PapaST

PapaST Member
    Bronze

I use my iPad 3 as a book reader. I think the mini will be a natural in that department. I also use it to download all the manual PDFs for my cameras, electronic equipment and other devices. It's a great place to store all sorts of documents. One thing that will suffer is reading out in the sun. The glare can make it difficult.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

0.68 lbs compared to 0.75 lbs? Is it really that much of a difference in weight? Just curious.

I'm thinking about trying out a Nexus 7 for grins and giggles.

14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I recently sold my Nexus 7.. It's a very nice device and the size and weight is awesome. The biggest issue was QC from Asus.. I went through 4 Nexus 7's in 3 months due to screen separation issues.

The screen separates from the body on the left side (as you look at it from the screen) and Asus still has not fixed the issue. Normal pressing of the screen on the left side also makes a loud and odd clicking sound that gets rather irritating after a while.

I really liked the Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean is awesome but Asus has serious QC issues..

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. jooley

jooley Member
    Bronze

I know it doesn't sound like much, but I think it's really noticeable.
    Grins and giggles is exactly why I grabbed one :). It really is nice to use as a reader, the screen resolution makes text really easy on the eyes.

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

16. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

i love the ipad mini for ebooks. I want to share with you all the discovery of the most briliant e-reader app out there. It's FREE so check it out. its called Marvin. Have been using it for the past week and i'm amazed its so good and that its free. just google it and you'll find it. You can import books from your dropbox account and it will handle most drm free ebook types. Hope people love it as much as i do. I wont be using kindle app or the ibooks app anymore me thinks.

17. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I use my iPad 2 as an ereader. It is really nice but it can be a bit heavy when you are reading in bed.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

18. rojocrandall

rojocrandall Member
    Bronze

How do you convert/import kindle books into a format used by Marvin?

19. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

I don't think it is possible to legally import kindle content into the marvin app. Kindle content are drm protected as far as I know and converting them would be against the kindle terms of use. But all other non drm protected content should be ok to import into marvin. I send my ebooks to Dropbox and marvin let's you sync with Dropbox. Hope that helps

Sent using iCafe app

20. Sheel S

Sheel S New Member

I've read few books on my iPad mini. So far so good:)