iPad as gift for friend in another country, preload with apps?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Cousinit

May 29, 2010
Midwest US
Thinking about giving a friend a iPad as a gift when he visits the United States for the first time. I think it would be invaluable as a tool (translation apps etc) as well as for information while he travels here throughout the country.

I would like to go ahead and register it and preload a handful of apps for him.
I know when he gets back to his country (China) he will need to register his own iTunes account with a credit card from China. I know from doing quite a bit of research that I cannot set up a iTunes account here in the United States with a US address credit card and access that account in China or transfer/change the account with his information after he returns home.
I Never completely reset a iPad but I would assume that would erase all the apps as well.

Anyone with any suggestions on the best way to do this would be appreciated.
I guess I could just set up a account with a few apps and just consider it a wash if he has to reset it when he gets home. Not planning on spending a bunch of money on apps anyway, just would like it to be ready to use when I gave it to him.
Not sure either if he would need to re register it again in China

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If I were you, I'd allow him to download the apps that would be best for him when you see him. When he gets back to China, he can register it and do the necessary preliminary actions before fully setting it up. Yes, a restore will remove everything, but you can make a backup in iTunes before you restore it.

Cousinit

May 29, 2010
Midwest US
Thanks MM79
How can he download apps here in the States without setting up a iTunes account and registering the iPad when he gets here?
How can he restore if everything that is backed up and restored is on that account? I guess we can find a way of backing up to a computer and somehow sending him the files if that's even possible. I assume he could do a restore from files located locally on a hard disk.
I know he cannot set up a iTunes account here in the US with a foreign credit card with a foreign address.
Thanks

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Thanks MM79
How can he download apps here in the States without setting up a iTunes account and registering the iPad when he gets here?
How can he restore if everything that is backed up and restored is on that account? I guess we can find a way of backing up to a computer and somehow sending him the files if that's even possible. I assume he could do a restore from files located locally on a hard disk.
I know he cannot set up a iTunes account here in the US with a foreign credit card with a foreign address.
Thanks
Perhaps you can set it up for him with your iTunes account and put a few applications on the iPad. Just be careful, it's hard to then restore on a different computer and keep those applications. Your friend can make a backup once he's back in China. Also, inform him that the connection will definitely be different in China. I read that they use mainly Wifi, and not 3G.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2417037?start=0&tstart=0

The above discussion refers to the connection with an iPad 3G.

Cousinit

May 29, 2010
Midwest US
Thanks again
Yes I have made several trips to China for businesss as well.
WiFi is spotty at best. :)
Had issues with my iPhone and iTunes there, one reason I learned so much about this issue.
Seems there are different iTunes stores/sites between the US and China.
I am Sure the Chinese site is heavily monitored and regulated by the Chinese government.

Worst case there is a Apple Store in Shanghai he can go to if he has issues when he gets home.
Not too worried about a few dollars in apps.
Was just wondering if anyone had anymore insight to this than what I learned so far :)
Much appreciated your response
Thanks Again