iPad battery replacement? "You will receive a replacement."

Discussion in 'iPad' started by danamark, Mar 14, 2010.

1. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

This really stinks, if this is true, and it is refurbished.

I take care of my computer equipment. I plan on using my iPad for home use only and personal travel. I wouldn't want someone's company iPad, or one that has been lugged around in a campus knapsack. I pre-ordered a Hard Candy Case for $49.95 and a BodyGuardz screen protector, $22.47, to protect it. I find this rather ratty if by replacement they mean refurbished?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/03/replace_your_dead_ipad_if_the_battery_dies_for_99.html
    http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/battery/

2. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot
    Gold

It happens with iPhones so I guess it isn't beyond belief for the iPad if there are problems within the warranty period. I personally would use a reliabe service for a battery change. i baby my devices also and I want the SAME device returned to me.

3. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I have had several iPhone's replaced in my iPhone days and every time I have got one replaced they have been in pristine condition and like new!

4. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

Well I am a person who has always disliked oil changes, maint, etc, on cars, based on miles. Should be based first on hour meter to measure the running or operation time and then miles. I drove for 30 years 60 miles on the world's longest parking lot, aka i64 between Newport News and Williamsburg, Va. Why I have a bad left knee, clutch. Try leaving work at 5pm getting home at 7 pm, at least twice a week, and never getting above 15 miles per hour, i.e. 1st gear, second, stop, do it again and again. no joy. So, who is to say how many hours are on the rest of the iPad pieces parts that you get? Just slap a new battery in, and a new case?

5. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

Hope someone post how to open it yourself when it comes out. I used to service min-macs where I worked. Had no problem opening them. Got a cheap 2 inche wide putty knife. The trick was to grind down, i.e. bevel just one side of the blade, leaving the other side flat and lightly dulling down the two points on the end of the blade via of taking off the corners.

6. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I think it's funny how people are already worried about the battery life and the device won't be released for another two weeks. Try to see how the device holds up before all the doomsday scenarios.

7. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

Well, I have a major problem with it. I don't buy a car this way. Go in for an oil change and they give you someone's replacement. This kind of thinking is that you don't own the device. This is for a battery replacement. My son had one of the early handheld LCD game consoles back in the 80s. Can not remember the brand, but, it had a very nice bright colored backlighted LCD display and was pricey, i.e. you thought twice before buying it. It had to go in for service, under warranty, sticking keys. Go a refurbished one. One of the pixels was not working in the refurbished one. Seems this wasn't grounds for the company to replace or take it back, i.e. your tough luck. The one we purchased had all its pixels working. Given my experience with laptop batteries, I worked as a Systems Engineer for a large university for 30 years, I have a problem with replacement of the device over battery replacement. I once had a $2500 uninterrupted battery backup UPS catch on fire and ruin it. Wished the company would have taking it back. Seems house keeping spilled wax/floor cleaner in it.

8. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

Have fun putting the screen protector on it. By the time I need to replace my battery I bet gen2 will be out and I will just get that.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Come on, CJ, make up your mind! Were they in pristine condition or like new? ;)

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'd rather get a service-replacement iPad for $100. God knows I baby my iStuff too, yet, scratches and dings and stuff ends up happening to it anyway. They don't just pull these things off the shelves of Apple stores where 9,000 people have had their greasy fingers on it, clean it up, and rewrap it. Whatever it was, wherever it came from, at BEST (shortage of used iPads) they place a brand new iPad in the white box. At the WORST they've shipped it off to the U.S.-based refurb factory, tested every part for suitability and replaced anything that wasn't up to spec, stuck a new battery in and a new outer casing on before placing it in the white box and stacked up with the other service replacements. These things that have gone through the refurb factory in the US can often be in better condition than what you'd get fresh from the sweatshops on the other side of the world. It's a hell of a deal considering this is for after the warranty period, which means you've gotten at least a good year's worth of use out of it. You get what is indistinguishable from a brand new iPad for a fraction of the price, and 90 more days of warranty in case there's anything wrong with the one you get.

11. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

Yeah, given the size of of the iPad and what I have read about iPhone/iPod touch installs, not looking forward to it. I have a house pussycat who thinks she knows how to use a computer. :) Always a joy when she tries to use my Mac. So I need some kind of screen protector. The only screen protectors I have put on were for my old Apple Newton and my Palm Pilots. All of these were dry and edge friction held. Gen2 would be nice, but, I have waited a long time for something like the iPad from Apple.

12. mattyi

mattyi New Member
    Bronze

I have bought (or received as replacements) 5 refurb iPods, 1 refurb iPod touch, and a refurb iMac. All of them have been in pristine, scratch-less condition upon arrival. There were 0 internal problems with them either.

Apple does a really, really good job with their refurbs, to the point where I actually recommend anyone who's buying a mac to check out the refurb store before buying new (and you can use the money saved to buy extra RAM, or an Applecare warranty, etc).

I wouldn't worry about getting "someone else's" iPad as a replacement. You really won't know the difference. If you do, I'm sure they'll give you another.

13. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

+1..............

14. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

There is a part of me that doesn't like the idea of getting a refurb back, however, I've never had a problem with refurbs. In fact, I'm typing on my Macbook Pro 13" refurb that I got for $999. Great deal on a great computer. Plus, on a device (iPad) that WILL get scratches, a refurb with a new battery gives me a new device (basically). Not an entirely bad deal...