iPad case with keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Cases and Accessories' started by Abigaily, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Abigaily

Abigaily New Member

I’m looking for an iPad case with keyboard and specifically one that can take intensive typing. I gotta work on the road quite a lot and am not carrying my laptop everywhere. Came across the Typad, which is kinda what I’m looking for, only that it’s over 120 dollars. Another case is the ZAGGmate which is cheaper, but I haven’t found any satisfying reviews. Anyone has recommendations or experience with these keyboard cases?

2. Kathie63

Kathie63 Member
    Bronze

I got a Zaggmate and I LOVE IT! You don't have to carry an extra keyboard, I like the way it fits inside the keyboard. Very handy indeed! I found it well worth the money! Very nice looking too. I then put it all in a leather zipper case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tyger_purr

Tyger_purr Member
    Bronze

my opinion.
    buy a stand case and get a separate bluetooth keyboard.

I considered a keyboard case when i was looking to get my ipad but i was not impressed with what i found. when i want to type i want a full size keyboard, not some mini net book size keyboard.

I like being able to use my iPad without a keyboard hanging off of it and when i need to really do some typing i can pull out my folding bluetooth keyboard (with number pad) and type away.

4. KHB

KHB New Member

I love my Zaggmate. Have tried several others. None compare.

5. HighPad

HighPad New Member

I like the ClamCase.

6. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Another vote for the Zaggmate. Typing on it now.

7. Kathie63

Kathie63 Member
    Bronze

I wonder if the new ipad is the same size and if it will fit the zaggmate.

8. stil29

stil29 Member
    Bronze

I love my Zaggmate and recommend it with five stars

9. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

I'm waiting on the clam case as well but it may end up being vapor! Major delays. Have you looked at the Rocketfish at BestBuy?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish&%23153%3B+-+Advanced+Series+iCapsule+Keyboard+for+Apple&%23174%3B+iPad&%23153%3B/1609376.p?id=1218273818721&skuId=1609376

The problem I had with the Zaggmate was trying to use it for anything off of a flat surface. The iPad wobbles. There are too many times I may want to type in an awkward position on the couch or bed and it just didn't work for me. Plus setting up the kickstand 10-15 times a day was a pain. But again, that's just me.

10. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Picked one of these up on eBay for $37.99 plus $4.85 shipping. It's basically a copy of the iPad 2 keyboard case by ZAGG/Logitech, but it's much cheaper and comes in a black keyboard version and a white keyboard version (I chose the black one). Read my blog post on why I wanted one in the first place.

Arrived a little while ago, so shipping from Louisiana was quick.

First thoughts:
    • Easy to use (as expected).
    • Right shift key is rather tiny (I NEVER use the left one), so this will take some getting used to.
    • iPad 2 shuts itself off (Smart Cover feature) when you put the iPad 2 face-down into the keyboard.
    • Several function keys that are iOS specific, as well as some nice multimedia keys.
    • Keys are responsive and feel nice to type on (although they're all noticeably smaller than on a regular keyboard).
    • Definitely made of aluminum.
    • iPad 2 is placed rather nicely into the case when face-down, which makes for easy transport (although you'll want to get a back protector film for your iPad)
    • iPad 2 is kept upright nicely when in landscape orientation (no fear of it falling over when tapping the screen hard).
    • iPad 2 is kept upright not-as-nicely when in portrait orientation (don't want to tap too hard, or it may fall over).
    So far, I'm verysatisfied with my purchase. If you're in the market for a product like this, I recommend checking out one of these cheaper models on eBay.

View my photo gallery below:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#10 besweeet, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  11. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

How is it held together when the iPad is face down on it?

btw, nice to see you back in EIC

12. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Fits fairly well. Wouldn't wanna drop everything while the iPad's inside of it, though.

13. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I mean, does it snap together, use the magnets? What's holding it together when the iPad is face down on the keyboard. does it feel like I might pop apart?

14. Irish Rose

Irish Rose Zealot

It looks nice, however, I would want something to cover the back of my iPad 2. I like the folio style keyboard cases as they offer drop protection for the front and back.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

15. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

It's really hard to explain :(. I'll show it up close in my review video in a week.

That's what I would've gone for, but I figured I could just get a back protection film for the iPad 2 (which I did) to keep the back protected. Nothing's protecting against drops, though, but I don't plan on that sort of thing happening anyway.

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

17. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Definitely not for $200. Can buy a netbook for that much.

18. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I didn't notice the price. It used to be just over $100, which was well worth it to protect your device. $200 is too much.

I just checked. It's 149.00 but if you like them on facebook, you get 10% 0ff, so 134.10

19. Smrick

Smrick New Member

I just picked up the Zagg model and it works great. It doesn't use the magnets so you have to get used to turning off the iPad before closing it down but overall, great. I have a DoDo bookback cover for my iPad 2 and it provides plenty of protection without the bulk of a case. Now that I have the Zagg, glad I went that route.

20. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

After a few hours of using this keyboard, I'm definitely used to the small keys and the small shift key. Loving it. Can't beat the price! Way better than paying more than twice as much for the real/legit version by ZAGG/Logitech.