iPad charge slow!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dipsxxy, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dipsxxy

Dipsxxy Contributor
    Bronze

I noticed my IPad 3 takes at least 6 hours to charge completely! Is anyone else having problems with their iPad charging slowly?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have an iPad 2 updated to the latest OS. It takes roughly an hour to fully charge. Here are a few questions for you to answer.

1. Where are you plugging it in to charge? I found out the hard way that charging it in the car (not on the wall) will cause it to charge pretty slowly.

2. Have you tried a full restore of your iPad?

3. Where are you located? I just read a discussion on Apple.com support that someone is having a charging issue with the iPad in Europe.

3. Dipsxxy

Dipsxxy Contributor
    Bronze

I am updated to the current iOS. I charge on a wall socket and I am in NY. I did not try to restore, I will try that

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Also make sure you do not have a bunch of applications opened while you're charging. A full restore may help, and it'll bring it back to factory state. Make sure you backup everything first.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Personally, I would make sure apps aren't in the background and try a hard reset before doing a restore.
    Press and hold home & sleep button until you see the Apple logo.
    If that doesn't seem to fix it and you do a restore, Restore as new first & see if that helps.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Definitely restoring as new is a good tip for this issue. Although I'm now thinking it may be an issue in the iPad itself. But I haven't heard of any problems with the iPad 3 as of yet.

7. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I thought the iPad 3 took longer to charge, as it being a increase in wattage, 25 to around 42 I think it was. And still using the 10W battery charger.

8. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I don't know how long it takes to charge but my iPad 3 takes an obscenely long time to charge. I don't think anything is wrong, I read that the iPad 3 has a huge battery to power the new retina display and so it takes longer to charge compared to the iPad 2.

9. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

The iPad 3 does take a lot longer to charge--it has a 70% bigger battery than the iPad 2, but the charger is still only a 10w charger as before.

In one of my tests, charge from 0% to 100% took 7 hours, 30 minutes, and 47 seconds, or about 4-5 minutes per %. Also, the last few percent of the battery are always the longest to charge because it slows to a trickle to prevent damage to the battery. So you'll probably see it take an hour or more to get from 90% to 100%, whereas from 10% to 20% only takes about 40-45 minutes.

Lithium batteries wear out faster with deeper cycles (i.e. fully draining, fully charging). So, whenever possible, it's best to keep it topped off rather than wait for it to fully drain before the next time you charge it.

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Fury, I don't see charging times nearly that long with my iPad 3 as long as I use the proper 10w charger. Those numbers sounds more in line with when I accidentally use one of my identical V1 iPhone chargers (5w). Those take forever and a day to charge it up. But I go from 10 to 100 in around 2 hours consistently.

Dipsxxy, do you have any other Apple chargers laying around that you could have confused with the iPad's?

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Dipsxxy

My below answer comes from a post on June 27th about this very same problem. The link for the Thread is below if you want to read what other people said. psylichon has a point. Make sure you are only using the 10w Plug that came with The New iPad. I made that mistake myself when I would charge my iPad anywhere else in my house. I used the iPhone charger and it would get HOT and take too long to charge. I learned that I need that 10W Plug and I'm going to get another for travel and other parts of the house.

1. Yes, I've learned, it charges way faster when plugged directly into the wall. I have mine plugged into a power strip with five slots in it. My iPhone is plugged into it too. Overnight I can always get to 100% on both the iPad 3 and the iPhone. I'm usually charging the iPad 3 from 40, 50 or 60% though.
    One night I didn't Plug my iPad 3 in like I usually do and when I got up in the morning it was at 63%. I plugged it directly into the wall and within an hour and 1/2 it got up to 100%.
    Wall plug is the fastest way! Oh yeah, and use the original USB and plug that came with the iPad 3. If you use the iPhone plug, I don't think you'll get a fast charge and the plug will get hot. The iPad 3 uses a lot of power and the iPhone plug does not provide that power.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/charging-my-ipad.95812/

12. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I will run through a charge cycle again and see, but I've done it multiple times and even recorded a video of it once. With the original charger and cable that came with it. It does take a bit longer to charge when things are on, but this was measured at minimum brightness, so I'll have to try another test with the screen fully off.

The iPad 2 charged in about 2-3 hours, but the iPad 3's battery is far larger and thus it takes longer to fill it to capacity with the same 10w of power.

13. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yep. Took 5 hours and 43 minutes to do a full charge from 0% to 100% with the screen mostly off (except for a few seconds every so often to check how far along it was). Full 10w charge. I've never seen an iPad 3 charge faster than that.

14. Theresa Garcia

Theresa Garcia New Member

I had heard the same thing from my son-in-law. I was looking to upgrade my iPad2. Not sure now.

15. Laura Simeroth

Laura Simeroth New Member

Yeah, I always plug mine directly into the wall with the charger it came with, and mine also charges maddeningly slow. don't have anything running in the background, either. It bugs me when I suddenly need it as I'm going out & it's low on charge, but other than that it doesn't cause me much headache. Still, Apple should fix this :p

16. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not sure what they could do without changing the wall wart and the cable used to connect the wall wart to the iPad. It's already pushing 10.7 watts through those tiny little pins as it is, which were never designed to push more than 12 watts. Notice that the connector itself gets hot. Try to cram much more juice into the same pins, and you might start seeing cool stuff like melting and fire.

That may be one of the reasons Apple is moving to a new dock connector style.

17. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

This has sort of been answered already, but I bought the New iPad a couple months ago and if I charged it on any Apple charger other than the one that came with it, it would only charge when it was in sleep mode. If I was using the iPad it would only barely keep up with the power consumption. Sounds like this is what has happened to you because when I finally realized this and started using the proper cord it charged just fine. That was really sorry on Apple's part to not indicate this or come up with a better solution than a charger that is identical to one with less power. Most of my iPhone chargers were bought off ebay and have always performed exceptionally well on the iPhone 4 I was using. No such luck on the New iPad. :S

18. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I agree, my iPad 3 knocks on the door at 6 hours of charging.

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I guess mine rarely gets too low, so I don't see full charges too often. We must keep in mind that the thing goes forever. I remember when a 1:1 charge:usage ratio was something to brag about. Battery tech can certainly get better, but it's come a long way.

20. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I can kill my iPad in under 4 hours if I'm trying, 10 hours if I'm not. Not quite as forever as the iPad or iPad 2, but still pretty durned impressive for how much tech they've crammed in there.

But, as I often do, I digress.