iPad education discount

Discussion in 'iPad' started by azsprty, Feb 24, 2010.

1. azsprty

azsprty New Member

I would certainly consider buying one if they offered a discount. This is from an interview with Tim Cook....apple COO

Q: How will you sell the iPad?

A: We'll start with Apple's direct channels, such as online, retail, education, etc. We'll also pursue indirect sales channels like Best Buy's store-in-a-store concepts. Internationally, we have a very good premium reseller program that we'll also use. Over time, sales channels will expand.

That would be sweet

2. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

They might with the WiFi only version but I don't see them offering that discount for the 3G version (same with iPhone)

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. AllenConder

AllenConder Member
    Bronze

i would love to have a education discount because im in school, if anyone has any info keep posting because i plan on getting the ipad 3g day one, so getting a discount would be amazing

5. bmhanson

bmhanson New Member
    Bronze

If this is true then you may have made me a happy person :-D Honestly i do not have a huge need for the 3G iPad as I can use my phone to be a mobile hotspot on the occasions I may need wifi when I am out.

6. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they are making people who already have an iPhone and are paying for a data plan to pay the same amount for an unlimited data plan on the iPad. At least offer those people a discount. I would think that would increase sales for both AT&T and Apple.

7. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

Someone pointed out to me that the educational discount usually equals the sales tax. MacMall only has stores in California and Tennessee, so in my case, it would most likely be a wash for me to buy from MacMall, without the educational discount, since I wouldn't have to pay tax on it.

8. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

I think it really depends on the product. I'm pretty sure the educational discount is around 10% though so it depends on where you live. Here the tax is only 8.25% so "roughly speaking" it's very close to just a tax savings but when you're talking about a $1000 Macbook that's $100! :)

This is why I try to order for my institution instead of personally. I have a tax exempt company card :p LOL

9. bmhanson

bmhanson New Member
    Bronze

The Macbook Pro that goes for $1699 also only get a $100 discount. So it is not really 10%.

10. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

That's why I said "around 10%". :) I suppose I should have said "starts at 10%".

11. iThinkiCan

iThinkiCan New Member
    Bronze

The only way I'm going to buy an iPad is if they give us students a discount cause I just ordered a Macbook.

12. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

Well, Apple, for as long as I can remember, has offered a student discount, both for schools, colleges, for all student/staff/admin. It varies, I guess, by the profit margin, and to a certain point, as you can tell from the comments above. The discount is so little, compared to the price, I wouldn't be persuaded to buy a product just because of it. I buy Apple because I like their products. Do have to save up for them, as they are a little pricey, but, I think you get what you pay for. My Macs last me 7 years. You can upgrade the OS rather cheap, a bunch of times, before the machine can't take it. Try that with Windoze. The price of Windoze is so high by itself, you might as well buy a new machine and get it bundled in. It is how they sell machines. It is just a nice little perk from Apple, the discount, to pick up something extra, for me, the iPad case. For a Macbook users, some of the extra cables/connectors, case? or I guess, money back in your pocket? :)

13. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

I am a retired teacher, now subbing, and definitely planning on purchasing the iPad. If this discount ends up being available, how would I take advantage of it?

14. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

On the Apple Store website, click on "Education Store"

15. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

Apple discount

You have a school ID? It is all you need at an Apple store.

16. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

Or you can simply go to the state employee discount page. :) Unless of course your school is not state funded (aka private institution)

17. danamark

danamark New Member
    Bronze

18. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

The same goes for IL :) We can claim to be state funded but will be extremely lucky if we see a single penny. It doesn't help that we tend to hire criminals for office either. LOL

19. mbsaeger

mbsaeger New Member

I can see them offering an education and businesss discount for 3G, and WiFi models, because the 3G ones aren't subsidized by AT&T, and you would be paying the full price without having to go through AT&T...

20. azsprty

azsprty New Member

I seriously need this discount because unless I win the one on this site, the wifes not letting me get one for that price...dang

21. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

I'm starting to think they won't offer a discount at all since this really isn't a "school oriented" product like a macbook or a desktop. If you look at their site and compare their mobile device prices, they are the same regardless (iPod lineup and iPhones). Where do you fit the iPad into this pricing method? They've already made it clear that they're taking a very huge step in offering the iPad at such a low cost and using that as a selling point. That said... it would look rather silly from a businesss perspective to tack on an additional discount the day it goes on pre-sale. :)