iPad going to 128 or even 256GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mugwhamp, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Member
    Bronze

There have been rumors that the iPad will be available in larger storage capacities that might include 128GB or up to 256GB of storage. So what do you think? Anyone need that much storage?

Sent using iCafe app

#1 Mugwhamp, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't see it happening anytime soon. They seem focused on form factor. Apple seems stuck at 64GB.

I'm guessing most of their sales are 16GB models -- and that's a guess.

That's a ton of media and apps to fill a 128GB variant of the iPad.

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I think maybe the big iPad might get a 128GB option this year or next while the iPad mini continues to top out at 64. Once the mini has a retina display that would kinda make sense as one more higher spec on the big boy.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I agree with Chris and don't see it happening anytime soon.

I don't think there are many people who would need more than 64 right now..

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

With the proliferation of cloud services, I don't see the need to go much higher in memory at the moment.

Sent using iCafe app

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I have a little more than 40GB of music on my iPad 3 plus 4 or 5 movies and the usual assortment of apps and photos which leaves me a little more than 4GB free space out of the 64GB available. As much as I would like to see more storage available on my iPad, I have to agree with Chris also. My usage for the iPad is unusual and most people probably have a hard time using up 32GB. I'm guessing that in Apple's view more than 64GB would increase the price of the iPad too much to sell enough of the units. However, adding a USB port or two would be a very desirable and cost effective addition. Are you listening Apple?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The next devices should have a 128 GB option. 6.1 b5 has a 128 GB system partition key in the BuildManifest.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You know E? That may just be the "different" feature making a possible "S" device different, along with maybe a slightly different processor. Hmmmm....

Sent using iCafe app

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Oh, bully. More storage for the S. Yawn.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't care about storage space. I'll still go with 32 GB. I just don't need more than that on my phone. Would be nice if this means the 32 GB model will become cheaper, though. It's been the same price since 2009 ($300). I doubt it, though. There aren't many phones out there with 32 GB of on-board memory for $200.

I care about processing speed and the camera. If they improve those, I'll upgrade.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Processing speed upgrade is almost a given, camera, maybe not so much as they recently improved it on the 5, we have at least another gen with this camera.

Sent using iCafe app

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

yes my reaction exactly. I was strong and skipped the mini so I can remain strong and skip this next gen :D

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, they've increased the processing speed with each new phone, so I agree that it's a given. I disagree that they won't improve the camera, though. They've also improved the camera with every new phone. Optics are just as important than megapixels, so they might just improve that again.

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yes that's a good point, optics its where we might see improvement.

Sent using iCafe app

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think this is a record for my being proven wrong. :D

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Don't worry Chris, I'm waiting for the JB of the iPhone 5, I owe Naps and E a "I was wrong about JB being dead" thread :D

Sent using iCafe app

17. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Not to worry Chris. Like you, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken!

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hmmmm, perhaps the rather lengthy delay for the release of 6.1 was that Apple didn't want to out the new 128 GB iPad prematurely? The fact that the partition key showed up only on Beta 5 seems to suggests that may have been the case.

Certainly, 6.1 is no big deal functionality-wise...

19. iNotes4You

iNotes4You Member
    Bronze

If you manage documents it makes no sense to do it locally as there is no access from any other device.
    But if you have just one device and use it for storing media it could be necessary to have more than 64 GB. What I will never understand is what sense does it make to store thousands and thousands of photos. You need days even weeks to look at them. Is it an addiction to save everything you see?

20. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I would not be surprised to see Apple drop the costly aluminum housings on both the mini iPad and the standard iPads and also the iPhone. These items are costly to machine and add more weight then non metal material. It's just my guess so don't panic.