iPad & GPS

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

shakey55

Mar 20, 2011
Sydney
I'm thinking of buying an ipad to use as GPS and mapping. Can anyone tell me if they do the same and does GPS work when out of range of networks. I hope to be able to use it in Australian outback where there is no network

'shakey'

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
First, only the cellular versions of the iPad, come with the GPS radio. And since the GPS on these devices is GPSA it means that it does not work as well, if at all, without a cellular connection.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I have an iPad 3 and I use it as my Sat-Nav (not for much longer now I have the iPhone 5). It works great, I use it with Navigon and it's brilliant. It works outside cellular networks as well.

laughjimbo

Bronze
Aug 2, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
I currently have an iPad 2 Wifi model and I use mine as a sat nav with the tomtom app but i purchased a Bad Elf GPS receiver that plugs into the 30 pin doc connector and is powered by the iPad but now since Apple are using the lightning connector this may not work with the adapter cable, anyway that is another issue as I was thinking of changing to the 4th gen iPad.
I cannot comment on the built in gps on the cellular versions but i can tell you that using an iPad as a navigation device is fantastic, so is the iPhone but for me in a truck using a windscreen mount the iPhone is a little small.