iPad + iCloud + Contacts

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Thom C, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Thom C

Thom C New Member

Any one experiencing issues with iCloud and more specifically syncing Contacts to more than one device with different results? Primary platform is an iMac running Lion and the two devices are the iPad and iPod touch. The iPod touch matches the contacts on the iMac and then iPad does not. I have turned off iCloud on all devices thus purging the local data and rebuilt the iMac Address Book from backup (VCF files). Problem persists. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

I have found Icloud to be rather "inconsitant" in regard to contacts. I have mine synced to a PC, iPhone and Ipad. All the contacts are there but some of the contact fields are different. I cloud is a great concept that still needs a lot of work.

3. Thom C

Thom C New Member

I agree with the not ready for prime-time around iCloud statement. I could except field anomalies, but 40% of overall content is unacceptable.

4. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Just compared my iPhone to my iPad that syncs contacts to iCloud. Both are showing the same number. I used to sync to outlook on the pc. Went with iCloud to keep iPad and iPhone up to date. I do, however, have a feeling that some contacts are missing. The other day I went send an email and the contact didn't show up. It's odd because I knew I had it. What has me raising an eyebrow is that us was missing from outlook as well. My hope is that they get this to a higher level of consistency.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

5. Thom C

Thom C New Member

The iMac is the principle starting source where the Address Book is built. The vcf file was used to create the Address book both on the local side before turning on iCloud as well as building the Address Book after iCould was turned on. These tests were separate streams and both were linked to the following activities on the iPod touch and iPad2: Both devices were reset and iCloud turned off and elected to purge the content associated with iCloud (contacts, calendar, email, etc.). In essense, both devices are clean. iCloud was then turned back on. The iPod touch responded immediately and posted the exact number of contacts that reside inside the iMac address book. The iPad2 however, took almost an hour to complete and only posted 123 of the 200 contacts. I have reset the devices in the aforementioned manner now six times with the same results. Frustrating!