iPad iPhone syncing problems

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Theresa Garcia, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Theresa Garcia

Theresa Garcia New Member

I have an original iPad, an iPad2 and an iPhone 3GS and am having trouble syncing photos and music between them. On the iPad and iPad2 I have a photo directory that I use to run a slideshow at craft shows. They link to a directory on my laptop. The iPad has all of the photos and the iPad2 has only a small portion of them. They two iPads have been synced multiple times with my laptop.

I have music on my iPhone 3GS that was synced over to it after I had copied the original CDs to my laptop. All of the music is on the iPhone and all the CDs are on the computer. When syncing the iPhone I get an error message that it can't sync some of the music files as they don't exist. If I reload the CD to the laptop it tells me that it is already there. I would really like to be able to get all of my music both purchased and copied from my original CDs synced onto my iPads.

How do I get all of my devices properly synced?

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

On one of the songs where it's saying it can't find it, can you play it from the computer? That's a very strange error message to be getting about songs ripped from a CD. Those are always written to the hard drive in a place where iTunes shouldn't forget that it's there.

Do you use an external hard drive to store some of your music? That can confuse iTunes if you add stuff from an external hard drive or network hard drive and then that hard drive is no longer there.

Try this: File -> Library -> Organize Library

As for the photos...you have the same folders checked as the source on both iPads? How full is the iPad 2? I've noticed that iTunes will automatically (and without telling you) remove some synced photos to make room for other data like music and apps.

3. Theresa Garcia

I'll check on the computer tonight for one of the songs. No external drives being used.

As for space all of my devices have plenty of space left.

4. Theresa Garcia

I finally had a chance to look at my devices.

If I look at the songs (it always whole albums) in the library the ones that won't sych or play have a ! in front of them. I get this message when I try to listen to a song from the library: The song "Through your eyes" could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it? It doesn't find it.

Another thing that is going on is that some of the apps I have purchased (paid or free) give me this message when I go to synch. Some of the purchased items on the iPhone tz's iPhone including alarm clock could not be transferred to your iTunes library because you are not authorized for them on this computer. If I go to the store and click on authorize I get the message that it is already authorized.

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Did you put your songs and apps on an external or network hard drive? Have you ever moved files/folders out of the music folder?

Right-click on a song that has the exclamation mark, hit Get Info, and go to the Summary tab. It should say where it thinks the file should be. Can you get to that location and see the file if you browse your computer?

Also, for apps, go to the apps library, right click and get info on any application that it is saying your computer isn't authorized for. Make sure you're signed into the same iTunes store account as it shows there in the summary tab next to "Account Name:"

6. Johnwolves

Johnwolves Member
    Bronze

I had this same problem and the only way I could sort it out was to use a different computer. I tried uninstalling I tunes and redownloading it but all to no avail

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk