iPad? Kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by evsparkah, Aug 15, 2011.

1. evsparkah

evsparkah New Member

Hi Everybody! Im Thinking of getting an ebook reader so I thought about a Kindle but then I thought an IPad might be better. Later, I read some of the reviews at http://thekindlereview.net and now I'm confused. What do you think? Thanks In Advance!

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

It's all about what you plan on doing. If you just plan on reading books, Kindle.
    If you plan on also surfing the web, playing games, writing, drawing, photographing, taking video, recording memos, watching movies, chatting with friends, making VoIP calls, navigating a map, all in color and having a wonderful time doing it, get the iPad 2 3G.

3. imotionb18

imotionb18 Member
    Bronze

If you need something just for reading I would go with an ereader. I have both a nook and an ipad. I just never could get used to using my ipad for reading anything other than magazines.

4. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

My advice/opinion is this. The Kindle is better as an eReader only hands down. The screen is not backlit and I believe is called e-Ink. which means its more like reading on paper, however you will still need a booklight to read in low lighting. However, that also means in direct sunlight, reading is perfect on the Kindle.

The iPad is a backlit screen which means in the dark, no other lights are required, however, in direct sunlight, the screen does get washed out and will be hard to view. So if you are looking for an eReader primarily, head for the Kindle.

All that being said, the iPad is a few hundred more dollars and will provide you with a few thousand more potential uses. Hawk did a good job of mentioning a few of them.

5. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

If you're starting point is that you want an eReader but you may want more of a full-fledged tablet at some point, you might want to look at the Nook from Barnes and Noble. It is apparently easy to root and turn into a very capable Android tablet.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you want an eBook reader, go with a Kindle. If you want a tablet for browsing, games and apps, go with an iPad. The iPad isn't really comfortable to use for reading in bed, etc. The Kindle is perfect for it. Lots of people go with both.

7. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

As someone with an iPad I have to say I don't get much reading done with it. It looks well enough but two things prevent me from reading actual books on it, aside from briefly: easily distracted and it feels too heavy.

By easily distracted that is probably just me. I see the nice screen and then think "oh I want to play a game!" Next thing you know bye-bye ebook hello Infinity Blade. :)

Besides that my iPad is synced via mobile me so I get the same calendar notifications as my iPhone and Macs and PCs. (Actually this is getting out of hand--don't really need reminders going off on every conceivable device I own--what's next my toaster will be telling me about my upcoming conference call?)

So between calendar alerts, game center notifications, game popups (Words With Friends is good for that), and "breaking news" alerts I find it hard to just read a danged book on my iPad.

Then there is the weight. I am not saying the iPad is heavy. But compared to a Kindle it is. To me it is just a bit too heavy to hold in one hand while reading.

So ironically I have been looking to get a kindle just for just plain old reading.

Michael

8. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Tin man you are certainly not alone, anytime I've tried to read a real book from the kindle app, I get distracted and just want to play not focus on a book. The iPad is more fun than reading especially if it's something I'm not interested in.

But on topic everyone has basically covered all the reasons you want a kindle or an iPad so I have nothing to add, for me the iPad is fantastic but not an e-reader.

9. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I'd never thought of this. I'd fall into the same trap.

10. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

For just reading the Kindle is the hands down winner however if you want the ability to perform a multiplicity of tasks the iPad is it. I don't find reading a book on the iPad as problematic as others. I used a friends kindle for a week before buying the iPad and have no regrets.

11. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I'd go with the iPad. No sense limiting yourself if and when you want to do more with your device. The iPad has so much more. And eventually you will probably want to do more than just read iBooks. JMO.

12. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm still tempted with the nook color. I feel like I get both worlds for $259.
    If you're stuck in the middle between the kindle and ipad give the nook color a try.

13. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Well after saying how I felt a dedicated reader was better than an iPad for reading I went and got a Kindle.

I spent about an hour looking at the Kindle, Nook Touch, and Nook Color.

While the Nook Color certainly had the most attractive screen inside the store it was basically a color tablet that happens to focus on ebooks. As I think the debate regarding eReader vs. iPad is more of e-ink vs. backlit LCD I dismissed the Nook color. Not sure I would even get it if I had no other tablet: it is too little tablet yet does not have the benefit of e-ink and its corresponding good battery life, light weight, and ability to see in brightly lit environments (but of course is better in low-light situations).

As for the Kindle vs Nook Simple Touch it was toss-up. to me it seemed the Simple Touch had a slightly whiter background to its display but the reviews I have read seem to say they are about the same. So I figured it was the store lighting. Then I reread a few reviews and even in the photos the Simple Touch seemed whiter.

Anyway I went for the Kindle WiFi "with special offers" for the lowest price: $114. The "special offers" are of course ads. But they not intrusive and never while reading. Primarily just a "screen saver" (weird term as they on the display when the device is off).

After setting it up it feels kind of like I got something from the '90s lol. The keyboard is nice to have although not really used much after setting things up and it is rather clunky. The other "features" such as Web browser and MP3 player feel more like something on an old Newton rather than from current tech.

But the slightly less white screen became more apparent when I went to bed. The reading light was fine back in the day when I read actual books. I could certainly see the Kindle but not what I would call pretty. I actually missed my iPad which I deliberately left in another room.

I also don't like that I will have to hack the Kindle in order to use epub ebooks of which I have many. It will read PDF but they don't "flow" like ebooks so doubt using it for that will be acceptable. From what I understand the Simple Touch is supposed to handle epub and PDF right out of the box.

Also it was a bit hard for me to get used to the interface of the Kindle. With an iPhone and iPad I naturally wanted to just tap the danged screen. Perhaps the Simple Touch will be better to adapt to if you are used to a touch interface.

Well the first night of trying reading before sleep with an ereader instead of a table didn't go so well. I might exchange the Kindle for the Simple Touch and try that too. But I am thinking that, sans upping the wattage of my reading lamp or getting a clip-on book light (ugh!) that these things are best for better lit situations.

In the end I think as these things start reaching the $100 price point, and they are almost there ($139 for Nook Simple Touch), they will be something you can have even if you mainly use a tablet and will not use all that much.

Michael

14. Irish Rose

Irish Rose Zealot

I agree and can relate to what both of you are saying here. I do a lot of reading on my iPad, especially at night before going to sleep. For me the iPad 2 is just fine for this. As to the comment above about it being difficult to read with it outside due to the sun, I use an anti-glare screen protector on my iPad, so there is no problem at all when I am reading outside. I film a lot of videos of my kids on my iPhone 4 and transfer them to my iPad 2 because it is easier to view them on the larger size screen. If all a person wants to do is read, I agree that a device like the Kindle is fine, but for the money and being able to do other tasks as well, the iPad is great....

---
    - Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think the point is that the Kindle is perfect for reading. The iPad is too heavy for extensive reading, especially in bed. I think that's why those who do a lot of reading get a Kindle even if they already have an iPad.

16. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Good story and review. My brother and father have a kindle and they love it. They have both said its not the best "before bed" book reader though for the same reasons.

17. imotionb18

imotionb18 Member
    Bronze

Good choice! Totally agree with you about the e-ink!

18. Irish Rose

Irish Rose Zealot

Europa, I agreed that the Kindle is good if all a person wants to do is read... I was simply relating to what the other two members that I quoted had to say. Now as far as the iPad being too heavy for extensive reading, compared to the eReaders out there? Absolutely, however, at 1.5 pounds, I don't find it hard at all using the iPad 2 to read for long periods of time. When it comes to the size or weight of a particular device I feel it is all a matter of preference. What feels too heavy to one person might not feel that way to another.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20030848-82.html

---
    - Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

19. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I would not say the iPad is not a problem in the sun. To me it is not so much the glare: It's that the backlight cannot compete with the sun as far as brightness, especially the sun here in Arizona.

Last time I used my iPad out by the pool in the sun it was not very visible. Was trying to watch but mostly listening to a game using the MLB app. I could see the screen when I let my eyes adjust but it was far from pleasant looking. I can't imagine trying to read an ebook like that. 'Course it didn't matter: the iPad shut down due to getting to hot lol. Switched to my iPhone and it too shut down. That's the joy of 110+ heat! :)

The dedicated readers on the other hand... they excel in such a setting (well not sure about the shutting down part). Bonus is that out at the beach or pool you aren't putting an expensive device at risk. As Europa said I don't even think it is an either or if you are going to have a tablet anyway.

But nighttime reading in dim lighting I might just have to still use my iPad.

Michael

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

IMO, and I know several people who have both an iPad and a Kindle, it's best to have both. One is not a replacement for the other. That's all I'm trying to say. An iPad is not comfortable for reading in bed, again, just my opinion.