iPad losing time?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Anybody else notice your iPad losing time?

Mine has been accurate until today when I saw that it was about 20 minutes slow. I'd seen reports that connecting it to your commuter and just launching iTunes would correct it, so I tried that. It did fix the time but why would it be off in the first place? I haven't done anything like shut it down or run any unusual apps so I don't know what's causing the slow clock.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi

Mine has been accurate until today when I saw that it was about 20 minutes slow. I'd seen reports that connecting it to your commuter and just launching iTunes would correct it, so I tried that. It did fix the time but why would it be off in the first place? I haven't done anything like shut it down or run any unusual apps so I don't know what's causing the slow clock.
No problems here! It must be a bug of some type. I haven't read about it. Are they calling it an OS issue or hardware?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Not sure Apple has acknowledged it but there isn't a consensus on the Apple support forums. Just a lot of "me toos"

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
So far so good here. This is the first I have heard of a time problem. Hopefully it is a software issue that can be corrected quickly. My guess is that it is software.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i haven't noticed it, but i usually check the time with my iPhone.

And i just synced my iPad last night, so it's good now. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No problems here! It must be a bug of some type. I haven't read about it. Are they calling it an OS issue or hardware?
Software, for sure. The next FW update will probably fix that and the WiFi connection problems.

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
Okay, I thought I was losing my mind. My iPad was a full 1 hour and 40 minutes behind. I had to look online to figure out if the iPad was correct or if I had inadvertently set my clock. Wonder what the hell that is all about.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Okay, I thought I was losing my mind. My iPad was a full 1 hour and 40 minutes behind. I had to look online to figure out if the iPad was correct or if I had inadvertently set my clock. Wonder what the hell that is all about.
It sounds like this is happening frequently so I suggest powering the iPad off and then turning it back on. All electronic devices can act quirky from time to time. If it messes up again in the next day or two then you may need a replacement as an hour and forty minutes is a little much.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
It sounds like this is happening frequently so I suggest powering the iPad off and then turning it back on. All electronic devices can act quirky from time to time. If it messes up again in the next day or two then you may need a replacement as an hour and forty minutes is a little much.
I'd try that, but wait it out. It's probably software as mentioned before.

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
So far, it was a one-time freak thing. This literally happened a few days ago and I've had the iPad since day 1. I reset the time and it's been fine so far. If it happens again, I'll definitely take it in.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Having a slow clock is not a good reason to get a replacement because it's more than likely the problem is in the software and as long as Apple is aware of it, they'll find a fix for it.

As far as I can tell, it's not like a mechanical clock that continually loses time every day. It's more like something is interrupting the clock and causing it to stop for a few minutes or more. If that's the case, some clever engineer at Apple will find out what it is and fix it.

ghanja568

Sep 17, 2007
iPad losing time?

I just noticed mine do this. It is 7:33 am in Socal and my iPad was showing 11:29pm. Checked the settings and it was set to LA time. What's the deal?

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I wonder if it's related to the wifi router it's connected to, or the 'location' option that the iPad is connecting to, thus causing this...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Hmm... Has your iPad been in orbit around any supermassive black holes?

Or has it been traveling at close to the speed of light?

Something to keep in mind at least. That can really screw with your clock.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Hmm... Has your iPad been in orbit around any supermassive black holes?

Or has it been traveling at close to the speed of light?

Something to keep in mind at least. That can really screw with your clock.
You know, I hadn't thought about that but given the way Mr jobs introduced it, you'd think it was created by a race of super intelligent, insightful beings on a planet in a galaxy far, far away. Maybe on its way to Earth, it passed too close to a massive gravity well and that screwed up the clock.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Saw it for the first time this morning. Time was about 30 min slow. I usually turn the iPad off every night,but left it on last night. Doubt that has anything to do with it,just thought I'd mention it. I still think a software fix will take care of it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Saw it for the first time this morning. Time was about 30 min slow. I usually turn the iPad off every night,but left it on last night. Doubt that has anything to do with it,just thought I'd mention it. I still think a software fix will take care of it.
A FW update will fix it. I saw it in my Flash Forward. All iPads were in sync with GMT.