iPad message app issue

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by VOLS34, Nov 28, 2016.

1. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Here's the thing. When you open the message app there's a split screen with the person you message on the left and the conversation on the right. Hopefully I just haven't figured it out and someone can help but surely there's a way to not have a conversation constantly be in view on the right depending on who is highlighted on the left. It's not a huge deal which is what makes it utterly dumb if they designed it this way. I shouldn't have to delete every message simply to hide a conversation. It should automatically hide until I tap on the contact on the left and open it back up but as far as I can see there's no way around to not highlight a contact and have the conversation in full view. Thanks

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don’t own an iPad but I know the screen you’re talking about. You could start a “dummy” conversation with yourself and tap on that, effectively hiding all the other “real” conversations that may contain sensitive information.

3. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I know what you're saying but that isn't a fix and this shouldn't even be an issue as it is something so obvious. Thanks though.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Try turning the iPad around to portrait orientation.
    You may have to back out of the convo, but this limits how much is shown on the screen at one time.

5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

That doesn't make anything go away it just makes keyboard larger. Not sure why it was a hard concept to tap the person before the conversation shows. I shouldn't have to delete every message just to hide the conversation. Seems like it would be a common sense design feature, open message app, tap on contact left side, conversation pops up on right and I compose message. Then it goes away. Instead whoever was last highlighted on left has the entire conversation pop up when I open message app. Guess the squirt gun emoji was more important.

Mail app is same way, so stupid.

#5 VOLS34, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

What do you have to hide??

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I think it would be MUCH more inconvenient to have to constantly tap the persons name for a conversation to come back up. But that's just me.

8. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Nothing it's just an OCD thing I guess but should be common sense when they built the app.

9. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

If you message only one person I guess. If it popped up on new messages/mail that would be ok but then it should go away after you read it.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why can't you just delete the text convo and leave the contact name in the list on the left?

11. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

You can but it's an unnecessary hassle imo. Oh well seems like the option to hide should've been a no brainer.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Apparently it only works with messages set to "forever". No hassle though. Just tap "Delete all" in the upper left after pressing a bubble and choosing "more". If messages are set on 30 days or 1 year, the contact disappears from the list.