iPad mini 1 or 2

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by radtechy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Don't now if this had been asked before. But is the mini 1 that much of step back for the 100 bucks. Besides the display and the A7 chip isn't that just it?

How much speed am I losing from the A7 to A5

Sent from my iPhone 5S using

#1 radtechy, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I upgraded from a 1st gen to a 2nd gen mini and the retina screen alone is worth the extra hundred. I recommend the rMini if you can afford it. It also has an A7 instead of an A5 and 1 GB of RAM instead of 500 MB.

3. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Didn't know about the difference in RAM that along with the A7 sold me even if the retina was not even part of it

Sent from my iPhone 5S using

#3 radtechy, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  4. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I agree I just Bought a retina mini and this after holding out. I'm glad I did cause it seems to me the chipset makes some difference I've noticed and the screen is just beautiful and well worth it.

Sent using iCafe app

5. MattR

MattR Guest

The screen on the Mini 2 is impressive, but it's nothing to shout about anymore. I'd buy it just for the A7.

I am a devout Apple fan, but just this once I'd have expected more considering their rivals' leaps and bounds.

The gamut and colour on the retina display really isn't as good as it is on any iPhones it is on nor the larger iPad..

6. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I may be a lot more impressed than the average person. I'm new to the tablet world and my iPad Mini Retina is my debut and I'm glad I finally made the jump. Can't believe what I was missing. (I'm a late bloomer I know).

7. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

You and me both. The iPad Mini Retina is my first entry into the tablet world. I'm very satisified. I'm using it mostly for reading books, magazines, Flipboard, games and some video.

8. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Cool! What size did you get? Color? I have the White/Space Grey 32GB Wifi only. I knew I was getting an iPad for awhile but stood on the fence for a long time figuring out what size to get. I thought 16GB was too small but my iPhone 5 is 32GB as well and I don't use too much of it, now I'm wondering what to do w/this space on my iPad now lol. Better to have more memory than not enough I take it.

Sent using iCafe app

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I have the Silver-White 32 GB iPad Mini Retina with Cellular. I always wait until they improve on the technology. I knew the iPad Mini would get a retina screen the following year so I waited. I really think Apple should do away with 16 GB and start with 32 GB and they should lower the prices of storage upgrades, instead of $100 to $40-$50. For me 16 GB isn't enough by the time they add the OS. I'm very pleased with my iPad Mini Retina.

10. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I totally agree. 16GB iPhones and iPads have issues w/software updates that need bigger space. Like iOS 7 did. They can't cut the cake now w/all the new apps and software updates.

Btw. I guess I have what's called Silver/White too. Not the hybrid I created and put on my earlier post when I said White/Space Grey lol.

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They have plenty of room for software updates as long as you manage your storage. You can't have it loaded up with 14 GB of data if you want to do so, but if you keep it under 12 GB you should be fine.

12. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I have a lot of music on mine so after my library there's not much left. Can't see myself using 16GB w/o running out of space.

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't see any reason to keep my entire music library on my iPad when I have it on my phone and I always have my phone with me. Even with all my music synced on and several movies, I'm still only at 21 GB on my iPhone. I'm fine with 16 GB on my iPad.

14. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I think it is all about what you use the iPad for. I have friends who use their iPads mostly for videos and movies. I always recommended that they go for at least a 64 GB model. Like you I keep very little music on my iPad, and not many photos either.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Not everyone can afford a 64 gb model. Many can barely afford a 16 gb model. So for them, space management is important. I don't yet have an iPad. But on my 16 gb iPhone, storing movies and tons of music is out. I do watch movies, but then they get deleted. I keep about 200 songs at any given time.

Sent using iCafe app

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But it's not just about not being able to afford 64 GB - it may not be needed. If you aren't going to use 64 GB, why buy that much? You could spend the money on something else.