iPad mini for young kids?

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by Jdsmitty10, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Hello,
    I am planning to buy my 3, 4.5, and 6 yr olds each a tablet from Santa clause this year. I originally was looking into kindle fire hd 7 w/16 gb of memory for about which is reg price $159 and I have seen some sale prices of $139. I see Walmart has the iPad mini for $219. What would you do? Save some cash and get the cheaper fire or spring for 3 iPad minis?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

By Santa Clause I assume you mean Tim Allen?

3. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

I'll be right back after a word from Binford Tools.

4. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I would go with the iPad Mini if you are already heavily integrated into the Apple ecosystem. My grandson uses my old iPad 3 and he loves it. We have an Otterbox on it so my next recommendation would be to purchase an Otterbox or equivalent protection.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think you'll get greater longevity and happier kids by going with the iPad mini. My daughter has used a number of different devices – she's 3. With the iPad mini, she knows that the home button is always there to get her back home.

iOS apps > Android apps in general. On tablets, it's no comparison. Plus, there are some fabulous learning apps for kids. The 'Toca' series is just one.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

If you decide to buy your kid an iPad Mini, make sure that you are monitoring what they are doing on it. It's crazy to think that when I was that age, I did not have that technology available to me. It would have been cool to have my own iPad at a kid.

7. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I hear Ya on that. I have plans on keeping them locked down with any tech they have growing up. I grew up in the dial up era and my parents were clueless on tech but I plan on staying ahead of my kids on technology.. It's scary what kids with tech illiterate parents get into online... I never set any restrictions on my iPhone's but I assume the iOS parental controls are pretty good?

Sent using iCafe app

8. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Loved that show growing up!

Sent using iCafe app

9. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah me too.

In answer to your question though, I know one thing. If you get one kid an iPad you'll have to get all of them an iPad. I thought my 4 year old daughter wouldn't know the difference between an iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Tab. She did! She doesn't give the Tab a good review.

10. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Definitely. Buying same device for all three and even same color other than maybe a girly color case for my daughter so there is no fighting over anything lol.

Sent using iCafe app

11. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

The restrictions are quite good in all fairness. I have a nearly three year old who can navigate his way around my iPad Air and iPhone((s) various models), even altering volume and switching mute on and off.

Restrictions are located in Settings-General-Restrictions. You can allow apps to work and/or disable others. You can also disable the deletion of apps (I had this issue with a finger happy 18month year old on my old iPhone 5, giggling as he watched the apps wiggle) and prevent the installation of apps etc. A more important feature for the older kids is the in-app purchases, I'd disable that straight away or you'll end up with a big bill.

If you set all iPads up on different accounts you can use iCloud Family to monitor and control and share your purchases (purchases both old and new) from your account.

#11 iphonewarrior, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  12. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the info. I guess my next question is will the 1st gen mini be "enough" for my kids? I see its on a slower processor and has less display resolution. But if it's just for kids is it good enough for what they would do? I'm sure the wife and I will steal them to use sometimes as well since we do plan to limit their screen time..

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, I think that's a great idea. They will be really happy with 1st generation iPad minis.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think they would really enjoy using them, just make sure you get them tough cases ;)

15. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

As far as price. Walmart has them at 219. I'm hoping to see lower during black fri/cyber Monday. I saw back in June target had them for 199. Anyone think they may go lower during the big sale days?

Sent using iCafe app

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

To be honest I think they'll probably discount a lot of things, potentially the iPad Mini. Try your luck, on things for certain it won't go up in price :)

17. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I am planning to buy my three kids iPad minis for Christmas. I originally was leaning toward a kindle fire then decided to go with an iPad mini. Now I am kicking around getting the mini 2 because of the retina and better processor. Am I crazy? I am concerned about the display quality of the 1st gen mini. Is it not going to be that bad if I was originally leaning toward a fire? Also I am concerned with iOS 8 and the slower A5 chip. Is that an issue? My kids are 3, 4.5 and 6. I am sure my wife and I will use the ipads(since we don't have one of our own, just two iphone 6's) when the kids aren't using them. Am I going to kick myself when I use an iPad mini 1st gen after being used to the A8 in the iPhone 6? Or should I just buy them the cheaper mini's and get us an iPad Air 2? Lol. But seriously I have a Sony viao touchscreen notebook I use when I need a bigger screen but I know I will want to use the iPads if we have them but also feel it is nuts to buy a higher end one for their ages. Point me in the right direction please...

Sent using iCafe app

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Threads merged. Please only start one thread per topic. Thanks.

19. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

iPad mini the fire is more for reading and movies imo the games are so so I have the fire HD 6 for reading and love it it's A GOOD tablet for reading I'll give it that! Perfect size!

20. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Honestly both are great it's up to you and what your preferences are and what apps you have