iPad mini vs. iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by chazm, Dec 1, 2012.

1. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

I work with seniors that are on Medicare and during our busy season, one of my companies that I work with gave me a iPad 3 to use. I've had it since the end of September and about 10 days ago that same company gave me an iPad mini to use along with it.

Both devices will be returned on December 10th and I will be purchasing my own iPad after the 10th. Now, which device will I get? Both iPads that I am using are a 16gb LTE.

I love how thin and light the iPad mini is and you can't beat how much cheaper it is but I can't get over how websites look blurry if not zoomed in. Retina display is definitely needed. Right now I am typing on the iPad 3 and that pretty much sums up my decision to go with the new iPad 4 in a couple weeks, I just like to use the iPad over the mini on a regular basis.

But when a new iPad mini comes out that has retina display included, I will be shocked If i don't get that and sell my iPad 4. With that said, I just purchased a mini for my mom.

With either decision, it's still light years better than my galaxy tab 10.1 that I sold in September. That thing was horrid.

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I have also had the iPad 3 and the iPad mini recently..

I chose to keep the mini LTE version and sell the 3..

I don't find websites blurry at all and honestly once you use the mini alone you adjust to the screen and it looks just fine!

Try not using the 3 at all for 3 or 4 days and use the mini only and you will see what I mean..

I decided to keep the mini over the 3 mainly because of the portability of it. I never took my 3 anywhere unless I really needed to whereas now I find the mini tagging along with me 95% of the time..

Agreed the Galaxy 10.1 is horrendous!

3. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Today I brought my mini with me for fantasy football at a friends house and now I'm thinking I'll buy a mini.
    Ha! I'm so confused

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Can't handle the Mini's pixelated display, so I kept my 3.

5. tinachao

tinachao New Member

just wanna know the difference between iPad 3 and iPad 4.

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The iPad 4 has a faster processor, uses the new lightning connector, better WiFI connectivity and has an upgraded camera..

Other than that, they are pretty much identical..

7. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

So iPad 3 with retina has the old connector and the iPad 4 with retina has the lightning? Is that the easiest way to tell the difference?

8. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Yes from the outside they look the same. The lighting connector is only visual difference.

9. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

10. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Reading th
    Reading the Best Buy site it seems the 3rd Gen and the New iPad are practically the same, both with Retina Display and same wifi and the cameras. So unless Best Buy is not describing it correctly then the the only real difference is the processor speed and the connector? I figure the A5 chip can't be that bad if they left it on the Mini.

11. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Going of memory I believe the upgraded the front facing camera (FaceTime) and the rear facing is the same. Also believe some upgrades in the wifi and more carrier options for the LTE models.

12. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Yeah looks like cameras are the same. The specs for wifi are the same for both (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz) and even the Bluetooth specs are 4.0 so I guess it's just the processor speed for gaming (I don't need it for games) and the connector.

Since I'm planning on only using it on wifi I guess now I have to decide between the 3rd Gen and the Mini when I go to the store.

13. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Having owned or own all three (2, 3 and mini). If you want to use the camera on the it don't give you much in the way of results. It's actually a video camera so it's a still from video not a true camera pic.

14. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Thanks. I don't see myself using the camera unless it's for Skype. I use my 4S for pictures.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The front facing camera on the iPad 4 is 1.3 megapixels and the front facing camera on the iPad 3 is 0.3 megapixels.. Also, while the WiFi bands are the same on both, Apple claims to have increased WiFi performance on the iPad 4 over the iPad 3..

16. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Thanks. I decided to go with the Mini and they look like they're the same specs as the 4.

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The mini has similar specs to the iPad 2..

Non retina display, an A5 processor, and 512 MB of RAM..

The iPad 4 blows the mini away in a spec war but the mini blows the iPad 4 away in portability..

Do you want power and a retina or portability?

18. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

You're correct, just saw that. Thanks.

19. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

I'm going with the mini too. I have to give back both next week.

20. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

You're going to love it. I've used other people's iPads and although I liked them I never really got into buying one because for the size I'd rather just open my Mac Air. I just bought the iPad Mini and it's the perfect size!