iPad Mini with Retina Display -- It's a Keeper!

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by bballrob, Nov 23, 2013.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I received my 32 GB Space Grey iPad Mini with Retina Display and AT&T Cellular Service on Tuesday. A few technical difficulties and some other priorities prevented me from posting this until now.

I was traveling on businesss and it took some finagling with UPS, but I managed to get it rerouted to a UPS Store 2 blocks from my hotel. I instantly fell in love with this thing. As I discussed with my wife that night the pros and cons between the Mini and the Air, she kept asking me what I was giving up by giving up the Air. I told her several times -- screen space. That's it really.

I did take some photos and some videos of it as I opened it up and powered it on for the first time. You can view it here:

I took my iPad Air back to the Apple Store the next day. When I presented it to the associate that greeted me and told him I needed to return it, he asked me if there was something wrong with it. I said yes. He asked, "What?" I said, "It's too big." :D

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Nice. I love my space gray retina mini as well. Have you decided on a cover/case yet? I got a light grey Apple smart cover last week, but now I'm second-guessing myself and thinking I might return it and get a smart case in beige or brown.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

A case I have not yet selected. Right now it's just NAKED. I will be back in the Metropolis of Anchorage for Black Friday. I'm hoping I can find one for a good deal then. OF course, I have to decide what I want by that time. I won't get the Apple smart cover. I wan't something that offers a little more protection. I like the Targus case I currently have for my iPad 2 which rotates and stands up in both portrait or landscape. I'm hoping to find something similar.

4. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I have a 3 and I have been debating on my upgrade. My wife upgraded to a white 32 gig iPad Air on launch weekend a few weeks back. I was completely set on an Air as well, but now I'm starting to question my decision and thinking about getting a mini with the retina display. I watch a lot of videos and tv through the Dishanywhere app that also lets me to view your dvr programming. I might swing by the Apple store this weekend to check out the mini with retina display and finally deicde. We sold my wife's 2 for $170 and I am looking at selling my iPad 3 on Ebay or Craiglist for about $275. I do like the portability of the mini and figure I can always return it get the Air if I end up not liking the Mini.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I also have a 3, and like the screen size for video. I love the Air's weight, though.

6. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Congratulations, Bballrob. I went with white Mini Retina this time, but I usually buy black Apple products. I agree with you. I love this screen. I think had it been just a 7 inch screen like the Nexus I would have gone with the iPad Air. The 7.9 inch size makes it perfect for my needs.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There is one more drawback I just remembered - the speakers/volume. I went from an iPad 3 to an original iPad mini last year and noticed that the mini didn't get as loud. The retina mini seems to have about the same max volume level. That said, I usually use headphones and the smaller size makes it worth it to me.

8. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I noticed that too. Volume seemed really low even when maxed. Not a huge deal though as I listen mostly with earbuds

9. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

I disagree. My original iPad Mini had a very low-volume however this retina model that I'm using now is twice as loud. It has the same volume level as my wife's iPad air does. I am hearing-impaired so it was a welcome perk for me.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Maybe the Air isn't as loud as the iPad 3. I'm not sure. I know neither mini is as loud as the 3. My iPhone 5s is louder than my rMini.

11. BrunoKona

BrunoKona New Member

I love my iPad mini Retna display. Can fit in one hand and can put in jacket inside pocket and back pocket of pants. It is not too heavy but does have some weight. Before this I was using the iPad 2 which was too heavy to carry around everyday all the time like I do my iPad mini Retna display. I am also using the smart case which I love.

Sent using iCafe app

12. leugiM

leugiM New Member

Mini retina is indeed a great iPad
    I have The iPad 4 but it was to big to bring with me
    Now i have The Mini 2 retina and it goês everyhere with me its my personal assistente , its my árcade games player its my GPS its my scream on The car to watch movies ..
    Its my everything
    From all my Apple Stuff That i have iPhone iPad iMac ..The iPad is my favorite just love it (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. leugiM

leugiM New Member

iPad air is a great and fast machine ...
    I have The Mini retina is The same A7 Them The iPhone 5s
    Its fast and is small to fit everyhere to go with You ..
    I sell my iPad 4 and now have Mini retina
    Its a good buy :)

14. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Just ordered my iPad Mini with Retina today and I can't get to get my hands on it. It was a complete impulse purchase as my iPad 3 is working fine. I justified it that I wanted the extra storage, but whatever.

Glad the reviews are all so positive on it.

15. rollinfromhell

Gold

It's amazing! I got mine a week ago and my Alienware laptop is not even used 75 percent of the time. And being my first tablet a 10 hour battery is very welcome xD

16. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

Awesome. Mine gets delivered tomorrow.

17. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

You're not alone - I took the plunge and returned my Air for a Mini with retina display as well. I absolutely love it, no regrets!

18. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I'm amazed by the battery life. I wasn't sure I would like the smaller size and was going to keep my iPad 3 but nope; that's going up on eBay.

19. rollinfromhell

Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1391313096.824275.jpg this was drained down to 1 percent, it just died before I got a chance to take a screen cap. It lasted almost 13 hours my last charge! This is my current battery life at the moment. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1391313216.049822.jpg

20. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

I am really in love with my mini! As most of you have stated the battery life is incredible and for me its just the right size. I think Apple knocked it out of the park with this one. I upgraded from a iPad3 and thought I wouldn't like the smaller size, but I was wrong and glad I tried it!