iPad or laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jdsmitty10, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Hello,
    I am an iPhone4 user and love everything about my iPhone. I have a windows laptop which is going downhill fast. I also have a windows desktop which works great when I use it.

My question is, since my laptop is about to go, would you replace it with an iPad or get another laptop? I use the laptop mainly for "laptop" web surfing. If I need to type anything I could use the desktop. So does anyone with iPad experience see why I should or shouldn't replace my laptop with an iPad? One thing that concerns me is the ability to print to my older printer. Is there a way to print o older printers on my wifi network?

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

If you use the laptop mainly for surfing - the iPad is the way to go. As far as printing goes - if the printer is Wifi Enabled, you could use an app like PrintCentral to print to it. If it is older and not Wifi enabled - you will need to use your home desktop to print - or go buy a newer Wifi Printer.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

4. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

I travel for businesss often. Several months ago with the help of the right apps I started traveling exclusivley with my ipad. I don't miss the laptop at all.

5. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the replies! I print to an OLD printer through wifi and my desktop(shared printing I guess it's called). Would that be possible on an iPad like it is on my laptop? I also have a wifi photo printer(pre air print HP). I probably have more Vance printing to that with the app mentioned above huh?
    Thanks!

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Also I peck pretty fast on a small keyboard on the iPhone. How's typing on the iPad? Obviously not for typing anything big. Just like something I just typed right now size..

7. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Honestly I'd say go for the laptop just because it will work with your printer for sure, easier to do work on, and is more versatile. I love my iPad and use it for reading news and watching video but when it comes to real work the iPad is seemingly capable but I'd rather use my laptop. Typing on the iPad is more difficult than the smaller keyboard for be and I can type relatively fast on iPod touch but the iPad I'm slower at typing, however you can always get a Bluetooth keyboard.

8. MNJON

MNJON Member
    Bronze

I've had my iPad 2 for about a week and there is no way I'd ever have a desire for a notebook. This thing is amazing! SO handy!

I'll spend the $$ for a better printer to make pringint easier, one of these days.

9. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

If you only use it for mostly surfing sounds like you need an iPad. The battery will be way longer and it's much easier to use. Especially if you have a desktop to have access to for everything else. Yes you can print from the ipad

10. jemspeterson

jemspeterson Guest

iPad will be the better option for you which can be use any where out of home you can't keep printer with self so, for printing your old desktop PC is sufficient.

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

love my ipad specially portable enough to take anywhere
    as for typing etc. there are great Apps )Apple has pages also if you not get used to typing on ipad just add on keyboard?
    A for printing. If you use a non wireless printer there are options. I use 2 printers one wireless and the other connected through airport express.
    I also use print n share but mainly from my iPhone (it does work outside your home network)
    http://www.eurosmartz.com/
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/pns/id471501333?ls=1
    Since you said you have a network and a desktop.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5761617_convert-regular-printer-wireless-printing.html

12. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I say for with iPad . I got camera connect kit for my iPad it has usb thing the connect to ipad. right now im type this reply on my USB logitech lighted wireless keyboard. It said on the screen it don't work but it does work. Then kit came with sd card reader works great. So if you have camera that useing sd you can move the pics to ipad free up your card like on trip. I just love the power cord long and thick cord that cam with the kit. I have hp d110 printer and works great.

I use my iPhone more then my laptop that why i went to ipad 2 and i love it.

13. Michael C.

Michael C. New Member

The main thing I use my laptop for now is to hold files. I can't hold everything on my IPAD. That's the only down side. Since I got my stylus from Griffin I can't put my Ipad down.

14. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I know what your saying same here. One app I use is drop box. Have you tried it ? I like it I have it on my laptop , iPhone , iPad . Both of mine iPhone & iPad are 16 gb and I still have allot of space. One thing I have to use my laptop for is printing coupons. I just starting to use coupons can't be leave how much you can save on money.

15. StephenBenzamin

StephenBenzamin New Member

If you would like to be seen as different then you should go with a iPad.iPad is still very limited for your main computer needs.It's true that laptops can be found in smaller sizes, but you have to flip it open and close and it ends up taking more space than you suspected.

16. rojocrandall

rojocrandall Member
    Bronze

I just switched, 4 days ago, from a MacBook Air to an iPad2.
    So far, I have not regretted it.

17. T horses

T horses New Member

or use PrintnShare Pro - I think by the same app company earlier in the forum from
    here http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printnsharepro.html

We use it for businesss and home as it includes calendar printing - file sharing to our 2 cloud servers which means we can print anywhere from either of our iPads - even on the farm by using my iPhone 4 as an adhoc wifi! so no to laptop (so 90's!;) ) and yes to iPad

18. avimael

avimael Guest

ipads are great but laptops can do better things you can download softwares etc...ipads for internet and laptop for businesss

19. Michael C.

Michael C. New Member

I think the lines between IPAD and Laptop on merging on many levels. My daughter's teachers have all been issued IPAD2's and do all their lessons via IPAD and linked white boards. I have found myself going app crazy on my IPAD, and love the apps. Start with Pages, Keynote, Numbers, ArtRage, SketchBook, Notability, ThinkBook, , IThoughtsHD, IMindMap for IPAD. With these as a core, I find myself going to my laptop less and less. The big question for me is do I want to get a desktop or laptop.

20. RogerG

RogerG Guest

I'm struggling with this decision, too. I have side businessses that require I attach documents (Word, .pdf, etc) to some e-mails I send out.

I love my XPS 1530, but if I could do this all from an iPad, then what's the point in lugging around a 15" laptop?