iPad printing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jmlaone, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jmlaone

jmlaone New Member

I was also not ablet to find any info on if the ipad can print with a wireless or bluetooth printer. is anyone familiar with this feature being available?

2. primsa

primsa Member
    Bronze

If it's like the iPhone tere are several apps that print. I have one for Epson and HP.

3. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I sure hope that Apple releases a native iPad printing app, and soon. At a minimum, I will need to be able to print iWork documents.

4. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

It would be stupid if we would have to email it then print it because I wouldn't want a complicated 3rd party app. I just want to be able to hit print at the top of iWork. If they have printing that doesn't support safari or notes I will copy and paste.

5. JD78

JD78 New Member

Agreed. Especially since they are pushing the iWork suite, it would hope they will make printing more native on the iPad. I would expect to also see printing options in email and web.

6. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

Yes email printing I forgot about that. iWork seems to be able to do so much it would be weird if it couldn't print.

7. mike1943

mike1943 New Member

my new best iPad printing App :)

I just found my current App, Print n Share, is supporting printing on the iPad. screenshots http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printnshare.html It was on Apple's TV ad and is the best printing App for me and now does iPad printing too, cool!

8. azsprty

azsprty New Member

im positive this will be a feature as they would upset quite a few people if not

9. Greggers

Greggers New Member

I hope that there is a printing option integrated into iWork, but I would be just as happy with a solution like print n share, as long as it was easy to use. My biggest concern with printing is not for myself (I will rarely need to print when I can just carry the iPad with me), but for the (not so tech-savvy) friends and relatives I'd love to recommend the iPad to as a secondary home computing device. It will be a much easier sell if I don't have to say "this thing is great, and SO easy to use! but printing an email is really complicated. :)

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

All the ipad tutorials do not have a print option! So I find it hard to believe it will be included in this addition. I hope I'm wrong!

11. soulsake

soulsake New Member

Wow, add one more blunder to the ipad/iPhone/iPod touch. I am amazed at how revolutionary these products are, yet they seem to be missing some standard computing functions from a long time ago. No printing? No Flash? etc. I am still going to get one, but it's just annoying that this function wouldn't be inbedded into every ipad.

12. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

I think there could be printing because their is an icon on the document browing page that hasn't been oppened. They didn't click it in the keynote, the guided tours, or any hands on labs at the keynote. An it is not a trash can that is a different icon. Hmmmmmmm.

13. santiagodraco

santiagodraco New Member

This is why a closed system is bad. If Apple expects the iPad to make any inroads in businesss this kind of thing will need to be resolved. And that doesn't mean "working with a select few printers" it means a print infrastructure for any printer manufacturer to provide drivers for.

I really can't wait for my iPad to arrive but there's quite a few nagging disappointments that will eventually drive me elsewhere I'm pretty sure.

14. jtorsella

jtorsella New Member

The same icon appears in mail, safari, and numbers. I am confident it is a printer icon as it looks like one. The only question now is whether it will be easy to set up wireless printing in system preferences and whether it will work with most printers out of the box.

15. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

Awesome didn't notice it on mail and safari. I think jtorsella and I figured it out THAT is the printing icon. Whooooooo! It should be easy to set it up.

BTW Welcome to EiC jtorsella!

16. jtorsella

jtorsella New Member

It's actually odd that they are not showing off its printing capability. It seems to me that if printing was smooth and easy to set up it would be featured in one of the demos, or at least had a brief explanation of how it works. Every demo has been bereft of a press of that icon. Mabie it is just a feature that wasn't as important as some of the other features they needed to demo, but the could have added an extra ten seconds to the video and explained how it works. Sadly, this implies to me that printing will be sub-par.

17. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

I don't think it has printing included because if I remember right with Pages and the other iWorks apps he would tap an icon and say something about sharing the document through email or the iWorks.com place, but never anything about sharing it through printing.

18. jtorsella

jtorsella New Member

Two different icons. The one we are talking about is never pressed. In the demo he presses a "share" icon that has email, iWork.com, and export. There is an icon next to it that is in the iWork apps, safari, and mail. That is the icon believed to be the print icon.

19. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

It just makes no sense why it was and never has been mentioned. I hope it does print like y'all are talking about. That would be so much better than a 3rd party fix. We'll know in a couple more long days!

20. jtorsella

jtorsella New Member

Yeah I just think that because it is implemented on all apps that would need it, It is likely a print icon. It is weird that they didn't tell anyone, but it is still likely to be a printing button.
    UPDATE: sorry, I just fully watched the safari and mail demos and found that the safari icon was to view all your open windows and I can't tell with the mail app. Still optimistic about the iWork apps though.