iPad Pro 9.7" vs 12.9"

Discussion in 'iPad Pro' started by Michael Baturin, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I'm torn between which model to get. I currently have my iPad Air 2 on Craigslist and eBay for sale. Main reason I'm looking to upgrade is to use the Apple Pencil so the iPad can become my "take to meeting" device. I'm tired of lugging my PC around the campus I work at for meetings. With that being said, I was all ready to go get the larger 12.9" pro, but now I'm having doubts. Main differences I've found other than screen size are

9.7" has the true tone display with wider color range. Missing in 12.9"
    9.7" has the better rear and front facing camera. FaceTime consideration here, don't care much about better rear camera.
    9.7" screen size better for light reading on couch at home.

12.9" slightly faster performance even though chip base is equivalent.
    12.9" supports USB 3.0 transfer speeds. 9.7" only 2.0 speeds.
    12.9" screen size better for note taking and work.

Tough call. Opinions?

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

One more thing for your list:

12.9” has 4 GB of RAM; half of that is missing in the 9.7"

3. Honey Beagle

Honey Beagle Member
    Bronze

IPad Pro 256 GB

4. Michael Baturin

Gold

Yeah, thanks! I since found that out and it was one of the factors in my decisions. I decided to drive to Deleware (about an hour from where I live in Southern NJ and 45 min further than the closest apple store to me) and pickup the iPad Pro 128GB Wifi+Cellular Space Gray, Keyboard Case, Apple Pencil, 29W Charger, and USB-C to Lightning cable.

My reasoning for the 128GB is because thats what I had with my iPad Air 2 and had over 30GB free at almost all times. I leverage 100GB in cloud and didn't really feel the need for the 256GB - also the pricetag was already high enough. The Keyboard case and apple pencil are so I can use it to work more. The pencil's need in my workflow doesn't really exist, since i can type much faster than i can freehand write - but damn is it awesome and ive been having a lot of fun channeling my old sketching days in adobe sketch. I think that's why it's going to stick around. The 29W charger and USB-C to Lightning cable actually charge the Pro 64% faster than the normal USB and charger it comes with. So my nightstand has the regular charger for overnight charges, but if I'm using it heavily and want to top it off at work, I have the "fast charging" available.

I'm going to try it out for the week and if by Wednesday I'm not sold on the size, I'll return it and go for the 9.7" inch. But so far, I'm loving the larger screen.

5. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

In the same boat. I came close to ordering the iPP 12.9" at launch but waited for release of an updated 15" MBP. The March Event convinced me to go ahead and replace my current iP3 and I had all but decided to go with the 9.7". After spec's comparison however, I am going to order the iPP 12.9" 256gb. Phone is a non-issue as I use my iPh6+ and P3 color gamut (to me) is no game changer. My current iP3 weighs 1.44 lbs. vs. 1.59 lbs. (iPP 12.9"); a difference of only 2.4 oz.

ODD?...
    I visited the Apple Store last Friday to play with the 12.9", and of the nine devices I checked, none were running iOS 9.3. Also, none of the five iPP's had pricing for the 256gb option??

12.9" Speculation...
    1. Hey Siri will most likely be added as a future update to iOS
    2. Apple claims of "replacing the PC" must allow additional BT input devices such as a MOUSE...
    3. Future updates to allow the iPP to act as a viewfinder for the iP6/6s
    4. The iPP 9.7" release should positively affect future App development. IMHO, Apple needs to make some concessions to SW developers
    5. An aesthetic question...will the 256gb cellular model also have the updated (aluminum color-coordinated) antenna cover?

I do believe that Apple will also increase the clock speed in the 9.7" once the "my new iPP is hotter that my old one..." dopes settle down.

Michael...congrats on the purchase. How is the iPP 12.9" couch-time working out.

6. Michael Baturin

Gold

I honestly wasn't sure whether I was going to like it or even keep it - figuring I could decide over the 2 weeks following my purchase. I am LOVING it - and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little surprised. I know, I know. Why buy it if I didn't think I would love it? I wanted to test drive. I've test driven and I really am into it. The larger screen is worth the tiny bit of added weight and more! Couch time isn't much changed, I always used it on the couch without a case and now is no different. I have the keyboard case which I use heavily at work, but at home, I use it mostly like a large iPad. The extra screen space is so nice for reading, almost like having a newspaper sprawled out in front of you, but of course with all the added benefits of a live moving and colored tablet screen. Consensus on today, day 4, is that it's not going anywhere and I'm keeping it.

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

My first iPad.

I bought the 9.7" iPad Pro. Space Gray. 128 GB with Cellular.

It. Is. Awesome.

8. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I upgrade to a 32 GB 9.7 iPad Pro. They didn't have the keyboard so I am waiting on that, but so far it is awesome. I gave my iPad Air to my grandson since he was using my old iPad 3 and then gave my iPad 3 to my father that was still using the original iPad. Everyone is very pleased with their upgrades, lol.

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I ordered my Space Gray, 256 GB, WiFi + Cellular, 9.7" iPad Pro and it should be here by Friday. I'm excited! I can't wait to get it. Giving my DH my iPad Air 2 rather than selling it.

#9 Sharunda, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Did you get the keyboard as well? They didn't have any when I picked up the 9.7 iPad Pro so I had to order one and just got the tracking number. I haven't gone this long without a keyboard on my iPad since the first iPad.

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I was debating between getting the keyboard now or wait until I see that I really can benefit from it. So, I didn't order it. I have never had a keyboard with any of my iPads but I've always thought it would be nice to have. I think eventually I will get it.

The Apple Pen on the other hand, um oh YES, that's a purchase! When I order or buy the case and cover, I'll get the pen.

12. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I contemplated the pen, but decided against it since I can't draw to save my life and I don't use my iPad for work so I wouldn't use it to take notes. I did pick up the back case that Apple offers that works with the keyboard. I can't bare to see a scratch on it, lol.

13. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I received my Apple smart keyboard yesterday after a 2 week wait since the Apple Store didn't have any stock when I picked up the 9.7 iPad Pro. I like it, although with most things Apple I feel like $149 is a bit steep for what it offers, although I feel like it is a high quality and dare I say attractive keyboard, lol. This is my fourth iPad and I have been using a keyboard on my iPad since the first generation iPad so I have a few opinions based on my personal experience.

Pros: I love the smart connector and not needing to Bluetooth to it and also not needing to charge it. I also like the flat design. I haven't tried out the onscreen shortcut bar yet, but I'll add this in the pros.

Cons: I can't use the keyboard at night without a light on. My last keyboard had lights on it so I could use it when we had the lights out while we were watching a movie. The iPad is being held in place by a magnet, but if the iPad tilts forward it'll fall over if it isn't on a flat surface.

I've read that some people have complained about the slight hump when the keyboard is closed, but it doesn't really bother me. I'll wait to see what else comes out and then decide whether to move on to a new keyboard.

14. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Purchased two cases and two covers. LOVE THEM! They fit perfectly, make the iPad feel more substantial and look amazing. The Smart Cover is waaaay more sturdy than the last smart cover  made. It's heavier, thicker and so far holds my iPad up very well when folded for support while typing. Oh and of course the old Smart Covers don't work with the 9.7" iPad Pro. I tried it and the magnets repel each other. LOL

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1460930317.921857.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1460930365.129640.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1460930399.021660.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1460930427.627813.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1460930446.164359.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1460930466.497377.jpg

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is this the No Country for Old Men poster you have? I need to watch that Blu-ray again. I haven't seen it since around 2007. It was good movie. I love the Coen Brothers.
    No-Country-For-Old-Men-Poster-the-coen-brothers-9945887-472-755.jpg

16. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

YES! That's the exact poster I have! I LOVED that movie! Had to have the posters. There are three of them each saying something different. The Cohen brothers are great! The movie is worth watching again. The actors did a phenomenal job.

17. Michael Baturin

Gold

Loving the iPad Pro 12.9" so far. I did buy the silicon back Apple cover but wound up returning as I still felt like it made it too bulky with the smart keyboard cover as well. I'm still searching for a solution to covering the back so it doesn't get scratched up when putting it down. I used to have something on my iPad 2 back in the day called the Dodocase Bookback Skin. They don't have it for the iPad Pro 12.9" though :(. Any suggestions?

18. Michael Baturin

Gold

Been 2 weeks - still loving it?

19. Dave M

Dave M New Member

My story is the other way round! I had the 12.9 Pro since launch but on Friday I bought the 9.7, loved it so much (especially the True Tone feature) that on Monday I sold my 12.9. My main reason for doing this was that the bigger Pro was a bit heavy to carry around and also when using in bed. Another reason was that I thought it was a little too close to my 15" rMBP. My only thing I'm now considering is if I should of gone for the 256 GB (I have the 128 GB). I've always managed with 128 GB ever since it's been available but......256?.....mom.....

20. Ms Cola

Ms Cola Member
    Bronze

I had the min and ordered the Pro 12.9 - 128gb but It was too heavy for me as well. Now I have the Pro 9.7 -128gb (since Friday) and so far love it.