iPad questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dontony, Mar 9, 2012.

1. dontony

dontony New Member

Hi y'all!

I'm living in the Netherlands and I'm visiting the USA next week. I'm thinking about buying an iPad 3, because it's a lot cheaper in the US, but I still have a few questions. Let me just fire away;

1. If I order an iPad 3 in the USA, is there an option to get the european power adapter with it in stead of the US adapter? I don't need the US adapter at all, and if i need to spend 30€ on a new adapter it's not as profitable as i thought.

2. Does the iPad 3 come with international warranty? Can I use it if i'm back in NL? How long does the Apple standard warranty last?

3. If I want to import the iPad to europe, can I do that without paying much taxes when I come back?

4. Can i expect to have any problems with firmware due to international incapability?

5. Did I understand right that the iPad 3 doesn't have Siri?

Thanks a lot guys!

Cheers,
    Tony

2. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

I can answer 1 and 5 -
    1) No there is no option for the European power adapter at least if you buy the iPad in a store locally, as none of the iPads will come with it in the box. Like you mentioned you might be able to find it separately, but you would have to buy it separately as well, and the cost would impact your decision.

5) That is correct it currently does not have Siri, it only has voice dictation added. I do not know that it will mean that it will not come at a later date though.

3. dontony

dontony New Member

Thank you for the reply. Do I understand correctly that the iPad doesn't come with a power adapter at all?

4. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

No, it does include the power adapter for the US. You might be able to find an Apple store that sells the European version for those people that need it when traveling, or you might have to order it online or pick a third party one. But in those choices they would all be an additional expense on top of the iPad.

5. dontony

dontony New Member

Thank you, I'll check out if I can buy it somewhere else. I can always charge it with my laptop, right?

6. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

You would only be able to charge it from your laptop if you had a high powered port in it that provides 2A. Most laptops do not.

7. dontony

dontony New Member

... so i would not be able to properly load my iPod's battery? Damn, that's weird.

8. Beemer

Beemer Member
    Bronze

Are you saying you can't charge an iPad with a laptop unless you have 2 amp output ability? Are you sure about that?

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Plug an iPad into a laptop now and you'll see it says not charging. It is, but so very very slowly it won't indicate it on the device.

10. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

The reason I did not go into details, is that from my experience the amount of charge that it is taking in is close to if not equal to what it is using, so it basically sustains the battery but any additional charge added can be considered very small.

11. dontony

dontony New Member

hm, Thanks guys, I think it'll be a lot cheaper even if I have to buy a new power adapter.

So, anyone answers to the other questions?

12. dontony

dontony New Member

13. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

1. Power adapters are rated at 100-240V / 50/60Hz...so universal with exception of the plug (adapter). I cannot see how the adapter could offset the $$ that much as these are readily available in US for $2-$10.

2. Take a look at the Apple warranty (International) information on their website...Also a lot of information on this topic available if you do a "search"

3. You are "supposed" to declare any purchases made. This is typically done via paperwork while enroute (plane).

4. Don't see why fw would be an issue as the download of any sw is based on the iOS

14. dontony

dontony New Member

Thank you very much. This was some very useful information. Where could I get those adapter plugs? I don't see them on the Apple site and it's probably best to use an original Apple plug.
    Also, I found out that warranty is worldwide for Apple and it is one year.

I think I will order the 'new' white iPad 16gb wifi tomorrow, I'll keep you guys posted!
    .. not sure whether to buy the smart cover as well, I'll have to think about that until tomorrow ;)

15. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Original Apple adapter not necessary. You will be using the supplied Apple charger(s) and the adapter merely passes through via connector plug. Buy one from Amazon, or other. The Apple World Travel Kit is $39...a bit much unless you are traveling the globe.

Safe travels and best of luck...(personally have had many fun times in Amsterdam...on the coffee-side of the bar though;)

16. dontony

dontony New Member

Thanks a lot! I just ordered the white iPad, 16gb, wifi, with a black leather smart case!

Cheers!

17. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

Oh really lol just seen the show about the coffee shops .