iPad stylus

Discussion in 'iPad Cases and Accessories' started by Mickeylittle, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

How are they working. I'm looking for one for writing quick notes. I used one on the iPhone a year ago but it was too inconsistent for me. Are there any that have more of a point because the soft round tip tended to make my marks to thick for my needs?

2. sracer

sracer Member
    Bronze

I have a Pogo Sketch. It works extremely well with painting programs like ArtStudio for iPad. It also works well with the notebook apps that support drawing. Great for diagrams and doodles. But some apps don't handle it well... but that is a reflection of how the app is coded not any limitation of the stylus. Having said that, I think that using a stylus for handwritten notes is not practical. At least not with the Pogo.

3. bmc

bmc New Member

Hello,

I am a newbie who will receive his iPad soon. I am trying to determine which accessories I will need.

Will the small styli designed for the early PDA's such as the Palm. IPAQ, and Sony's Clie work properly on the iPad? Those styli had a small pointed end. Will they cause any harm to the iPad's screen? What are the advantages to the modern styli with the rounded ends?

Thanks

4. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

they have a tip that the ipad's screen will not read. Apple's screens require a human finger type touch so there are only a limited number of stylus that will work and they all seem to have a cushion, round type of end.

5. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Anyone had any experience with an ipad stylus? I'm not convinced I want one, but the idea of having a stylus and using it for quick notes with one of the handwriting programs sounds like it would be a nice thing to have. You can't completely get away from jotting a quick note down on a note pad (at least I can't) and this way I'd get everything centralized on the iPad.

So...anyone have any experience with a stylus?

6. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

Sucked for me. It seems to grab at the screen so it's not a smooth swipe. Sorry but that's my experience.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

8. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

I'm not sure which brand my stylus is so the PoGo may work better. I also have a screen protector on my iPad so that may have something to do with it grabbing as well. Sorry I didn't consider the screen protector in my first post as a lot of people don't use them.

9. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

I'm going to look at the Pogo Sketch. However, while I don't currently have a screen protector on my ipad, I will be putting a Power Support Anti-Glare on it when it gets here next week. What screen protector do you use?

I suppose we'll see what happens.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

What's wrong with a regular finger?

11. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

I'm using a ClearCal Anti-Glare from RadTech. I tried it on my wife's ipad and got the same results and she has a Zagg Invisible shield.

12. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

The regular finger isn't very efficient for taking notes. It would be nice to be able to write on the iPad screen with something like a nice writing pen which is the idea of the stylus. But a regular hard, pointed tip stylus like for a PDA won't work on Apple's touch screens.

13. Josh Yates

Josh Yates Contributor
    Silver

Yup. My point exactly. It's practically impossible to write with a finger. Typing is good for most situations, but I do have occaision to want to write a quick note...which would be nice to do on my ipad. I do everything else on my iPhone/ipad anyway...

14. didisinned

didisinned New Member
    Bronze

I'm using the pogo sketch for writing notes for class using Penultimate. Works great! The small
    Pogo stylus for the iPhone is TINY! Definitely get the pogo sketch, the longer one.

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

16. Diane B

Diane B Member
    Bronze

I just downloaded Paperdesk Lt and can see a real use for a stylus for me. I'm going to order one and try it.

The light version of Paperdesk might be enough for me. Very nice app

17. didisinned

didisinned New Member
    Bronze

Paperdesk needs to upgrade their writing before it becomes useful. I bought the app cause I could see the potential, and I really respect how the developers are staying on top with updates and quickly responding to suggestions and criticisms.

Penultimate's writing is definitely ideal. Can't wait for both apps to improve

18. calvarez

calvarez New Member

For those using a stylus, are you able to rest your hand on the screen to write? Or do you have to float your hand and try writing without touching the screen?

19. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

Penultimate has a good implementation of hand resting protection but I'm uncertain how it works with a stylus. I assume it would be the same as using your finger :)

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

20. didisinned

didisinned New Member
    Bronze

Penultimate's wrist protection works surprisingly well. I use it with a stylus and it works great for taking notes, but you have to hold your hand in correct wrist posture on the screen for it to work well. That being said, I still use a fingerless glove on my right hand when I use it to take notes.. Looks silly but works haha