iPad to TV via AppleTV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
How to I get my iPad 2 to mirror on my TV all the time via Apple TV? I've gotten it to do things like play videos from YouTube or movies from my Videos, but how do I get it to mirror everything, even my homescreen, etc.?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
How to I get my iPad 2 to mirror on my TV all the time via Apple TV? I've gotten it to do things like play videos from YouTube or movies from my Videos, but how do I get it to mirror everything, even my homescreen, etc.?
double tap the home button to bring up the multitasking bar. Swipe to the right and you'll see the following
ImageUploadedByiCafe1332213766.107186.jpg

The mirroring button is right next to the volume slider.

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
Has anyone but me had problems mirroring using an iPad3 and a jailbroke ATV2? All that I can get is audio, no video whatsoever. I assume that I must be doing something wrong, but darned if I can figure out what.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Either way I go I have a terrible fit on my 46 inch screen! I can plug in with the cord to HDMI or wireless to Apple TV and the default view gives me about 8 inches on both sides of the picture that are not being used. I press the zoom button on the TV and the picture fills the screen but I lose some of the screen off the top and the bottom!

What am I doing wrong?

enjoylife1788

Bronze
Jan 7, 2011
Either way I go I have a terrible fit on my 46 inch screen! I can plug in with the cord to HDMI or wireless to Apple TV and the default view gives me about 8 inches on both sides of the picture that are not being used. I press the zoom button on the TV and the picture fills the screen but I lose some of the screen off the top and the bottom!

What am I doing wrong?
I am facing te same issue. It's the ratio I guess. Even I have 46 inch led and is not utilising the complete space. Looks bad the black edges on both sides.

Is there a work around to this?

Also, if u find any solution please let me know.

Thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

What am I doing wrong?
It's a 4:3 image being shown on a 16:9 screen. It's either going to be cropped or have black bars on the sides. No way around that.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks... Before I think about jailbreaking whenever it becomes available, will TVOut 2 or whatever it is called still work? If I remember correctly with this simple app I could easily stretch my screen to wide screen and save the settings. Seems like it worked pretty darn good.

Which brings up another question.... Why hasn't Apple included a wide screen setup menu for such a lovely feature since the vast majority of TVs are wide screen?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, it looks like DisplayOut works on iOS 5 and allows you to customize the aspect ratio.

Last edited by a moderator: