iPhone 2.0 app downloads over cell network--edge or 3G

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
A question i would have asked Steve Jobs at the keynote about this new update coming would have been , Steve you said you can download apps off the cell network does that mean edge network or 3g?
why can't we download iTunes music off edge network ? my answer is bc edge blows! so why would we be able to download apps off edge and not music ? could it be Steve said cell network bc the 3g iPhone is forthcoming? any thoughts?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
EDGE. We don't have 3G and its not upgradeable through a software upgrade. We cant download music because it would take too long and the apps would not be as long. If I am wrong about this maybe he just wants it this way so that if you are bored waiting over an hour for something, nowhere near wifi, you can just say "Oh! I can just download a game!" and even then you wouldn't care how long it takes.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I still say that when the 2.0 firmware gets rolled out we get new phones with 3G. I'm basing this mostly on the new enterprise features and the fact that enterprise users are going to want voice and data at the same time which EDGE can't provide.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
apps are MUCH smaller in size than a song is.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
if you look at the apps the we dl through installer many of those only take a few secs to dl, where as a song is around 3 or 4 mbs generally which would take quite a while to dl

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
I still say that when the 2.0 firmware gets rolled out we get new phones with 3G. I'm basing this mostly on the new enterprise features and the fact that enterprise users are going to want voice and data at the same time which EDGE can't provide.
i agree with you 100% id love to have a 3g iPhone, id be able to get rid of my crackberry curve and have just one phone.

i know this is off topic, but over in europe they are starting to sell phones loaded to the T with gadgetry and features including phones that have 2 sim ports! you could have AT&T and tmobile on the same phone! just wanted to share that tid bit since it got me excited when i saw it myself.