iPhone 2.0 software

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before, but I have a question regarding the much anticipated release of Apple's new version of the iPhone software. At this point in time, I guess we're all assuming the "first generation" users will get the 2.0 software update. Has there been any real specifics on this software yet. Has anyone played around with the BETA software?

A couple questions: will it support different themes without jailbreaking it? We already know it will handle third-party applications. Is there anything else that's going to be neat?

Thanks for any input, just trying to see what we're going to get to play with!

--
Shane H

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Besides 3rd party apps improvements I remember...

-Exchange support(push email/contacts/calendar etc.)

-Contacts app in the Main Menu

-Plug in for YouTube.com

-changes in the settings menu

I cant rremember.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
To answer your question about playing with the beta, yes. I've got a copy of it on my phone right now.

The biggest thing is EAS (exchange support). Push email, contacts and calendar from an exchange server (with OTA activesync support). The settings menu has changed some. There are some new settings (including the SMS hiding that everyone has been asking for) and some things have moved. The calculator now turns in to a scientific caluculator if you turn the iPhone sideways. Also like was said before, the contacts icon that was by always there but hidden is now shown by default.

In the current beta (and there is nothing to say it wont change), you still cannot change themes or anything like that. I suspect we probably won't see that functionality since we all know how much of a uniformity freak Jobs can be sometimes.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Leech,

Thanks for the response. That kind of stinks! I would like to be able to change the icon styles... crap! I hope at least someone will develop an actual application which will allow this. At least, that seems like it would be a hot development application. Anyway, is there a way to actually DELETE the default icons on the iPhone, instead of pushing them onto a new page? That would be wonderful!

Thanks for your information.

--
Shane H

towg

Jan 16, 2008
To answer your question about playing with the beta, yes. I've got a copy of it on my phone right now.

The biggest thing is EAS (exchange support). Push email, contacts and calendar from an exchange server (with OTA activesync support). The settings menu has changed some. There are some new settings (including the SMS hiding that everyone has been asking for) and some things have moved. The calculator now turns in to a scientific caluculator if you turn the iPhone sideways. Also like was said before, the contacts icon that was by always there but hidden is now shown by default.

In the current beta (and there is nothing to say it wont change), you still cannot change themes or anything like that. I suspect we probably won't see that functionality since we all know how much of a uniformity freak Jobs can be sometimes.

Could you tell me how I might obtain a copy of the beta software?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Leech,

Thanks for the response. That kind of stinks! I would like to be able to change the icon styles... crap! I hope at least someone will develop an actual application which will allow this. At least, that seems like it would be a hot development application. Anyway, is there a way to actually DELETE the default icons on the iPhone, instead of pushing them onto a new page? That would be wonderful!

Thanks for your information.

--
Shane H
The only icons you can currently delete are any web apps you have saved to the homepage. Unfortunately you still don't have the ability to delete or hide regular apps. Hopefully they will provide something for this.

As for the changing of icons and such, I'm sure that jailbreaking will continue and summerboard and customize will let you do your thing to your hearts content. I highly doubt Apple will approve any apps that let you change the appearance of things. It just doesn't seem like them.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Could you tell me how I might obtain a copy of the beta software?
Go to developer.apple.com and sign up to be a developer. When you get accepted in to the beta program pay the $99 and you'll have the firmware.

towg

Jan 16, 2008
Go to developer.apple.com and sign up to be a developer. When you get accepted in to the beta program pay the $99 and you'll have the firmware.

Er...No thanks. Is there a free way?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think the wise decision here is to wait until the actual firmware is released and the PWNed tool is out for both Windows and Mac. Only 2 more months to wait.
PLus, you may get all drooly for the new Version of the iPhone which is suspected to be announced/released on the same day as the firmware.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I think the wise decision here is to wait until the actual firmware is released and the PWNed tool is out for both Windows and Mac. Only 2 more months to wait.
PLus, you may get all drooly for the new Version of the iPhone which is suspected to be announced/released on the same day as the firmware.
I've got my fingers crossed for a new iPhone on the announcement day. I've already got a nice long lunch break scheduled and ready to go as soon as it's announced :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Termleech is not about to give you any information about obtaining something he paid 99 bucks for.
If you are desperate for the firmware, then I suggest googling for it.

towg

Jan 16, 2008
Cheers , you cliquey *****, Just the kind of attitude I expected.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Time to sell your iPhone is NOW I guess, before the next iPhone or it will be worth squat.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
just a quick question whats the exact release date for the newest firmware, or is it just going to come out like they always do

Cheers

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
I've got my fingers crossed for a new iPhone on the announcement day. I've already got a nice long lunch break scheduled and ready to go as soon as it's announced :)
I'm not too ansy about its release I believe it will be just an upgrade on data transfer(3G) nothing else

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I'd be more than happy to help you if I wasn't an Apple developer. I'm not sure how much reach Apple has and I'd hate to have my developer stuff revoked because I helped someone do something illegal. But a simple google search will give you your answer.