iPhone 2.1, Hit or Miss? And Why? [POLL]

2.1... Hit or a Miss?

• Definatly a hit!

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • So good, that I forgot how good an iPhone could be!

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Miss... I'm a bit disspointed

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Just like 2.0.2, I miss the 1.1.3 days :( !

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

snverhallen

Bronze
Aug 28, 2008
So 2.1 is out. Judging by how slow my 2.1 download is, lot's of people are/have upgraded. How is it so far? Has it breathed new life into your iPhone, or is still dropping calls and generally slow.

So... is 2.1 a hit... or a miss?

snverhallen

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
why is it 2.1.1 and not 2.0.3?
B/c this is a major update as far as fixes go. It added the Genius feature, and a few other cosmetic things...Not a major update in terms of adding tons of contect, but the first major update that certainly has really improved the functionality of the iPhone itself.

It is properly associated as 2.1, IMO.

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
exactly, a new build should be 2.1 cosmetic things such as genius etc surely should push it to 2.0.3 and not to 2.1

Barachus

Bronze
Aug 28, 2008
i am struggling to find what difference it made

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
exactly, a new build should be 2.1 cosmetic things such as genius etc surely should push it to 2.0.3 and not to 2.1
Well, I ain't going to spilt hairs over semantics of their choice for their numbering system. Regardless of the #, it is an update I think a LOT of people have been waiting for....and by the lenghtly previous discussions in other threads, this should make most people who had the worst of it much happier.

Reality is that people who want cut & paste, Voice turn-by-turn, etc....I don't think it is coming until 3.0, or later....apple is going to use those as a selling tool for their next release. I am pretty confident that is their strategy.

So far (after 2 hours), and feel the 3G is running much smoother than before....I am going to be interested to see what effect it had on the battery life.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
If you have a 3G with any of the common issues (if you do have a 3G, then you did) you would notice it right away the upfront benefits to this point of the update. We have been waiting for a major fix, and I *think* they have delivered ..... we will see what comes of the next few days as people continue to use the 2.1 software, and whether it indeed improved signal capabilities, battery life, and lag. So far, it is behaving very well this morning. Acting more like I had expected it to at launch.

We shall see though,.....you never know if another bug rears its ugly head.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
FYI - In case you are being serious, and really just don't know what it does in terms of resolving many issues.

iPhone 2.1 Software Update

iPhone version 2.1 contains many bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
• significantly improved battery life for most users
• dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
• improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
• faster installation of 3rd party applications
• fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
• improved performance in text messaging
• faster loading and searching of contacts
• improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
• repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
• option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
• Genius playlist creation

For feature descriptions and complete instructions, see the user guide for your iPhone at:
<http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/iPhone>

For more information about iPhone, go to:
<http://www.apple.com/iPhone>

To troubleshoot your iPhone, or to view additional support information go to:
<http://www.apple.com/support/iPhone>

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222>

Barachus

Bronze
Aug 28, 2008
thanks guys, its just that i only got the phone last week and its my first iPhone so to me everything still looks the same, i guess i haven't had it long enough to notice all those issues the last firmware had

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
thanks guys, its just that i only got the phone last week and its my first iPhone so to me everything still looks the same, i guess i haven't had it long enough to notice all those issues the last firmware had
Yeah, it had a lot of bugs and issues (varied from user to user how extreme or mild, but we all seemed to have common lag/connectivity issues).

Get this patch, and you can continue to love you iPhone without some of the previous headaches. Welcome to EIC, btw. we always like new members here.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I am interested to know who said this is like 2.0.2.

I am getting sigificantly better 3G speed and activity in my apartment for the first time since buying this 3G at launch. Still no lag, and I have been opening Apps left and right, and opening several web pages.

Phone calls (all 4) have been clear, and without issue.

Bars have remained at 4-5 all moring (something I would never get inside sitting at the computer in my home office perviously). I am very happy to have this update. I think that person is a Phony.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
No improvement here, once I enable 3G network the phone goes from 2 signal bars to read "No Service". Even with the 3G network disabled Im still only showing at best 2 bars.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Hey Tex, how does the multiple text alert work? I don't see an option to turn it on and I just had a friend text me and it only alerted once, what's the deal?

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
No improvement here, once I enable 3G network the phone goes from 2 signal bars to read "No Service". Even with the 3G network disabled Im still only showing at best 2 bars.
Maybe you just have poor service in the area that your at? If it is both the same then that's my only explanation. Did you have the V1 iPhone before and now the reception is crappy? That is what has happened with mine. I still have to update but will once I get home.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
Yeah, it had a lot of bugs and issues (varied from user to user how extreme or mild, but we all seemed to have common lag/connectivity issues).

Get this patch, and you can continue to love you iPhone without some of the previous headaches. Welcome to EIC, btw. we always like new members here.
OT= what TEX meant to say is that we like new members to EIC only if they are a Charger fan:laugh2:

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Maybe you just have poor service in the area that your at? If it is both the same then that's my only explanation. Did you have the V1 iPhone before and now the reception is crappy? That is what has happened with mine. I still have to update but will once I get home.
I just got off the phone with AT&T tech support which happens to be located in my home town and the rep said that unfortunately theres 7 towers in this area that are malfunctioning and their working on the problem at this very moment.

She said that if the problem isn't straightened out by Monday well figure out something in terms of my billing.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I just got off the phone with AT&T tech support which happens to be located in my home town and the rep said that unfortunately theres 7 towers in this area that are malfunctioning and their working on the problem at this very moment.

She said that if the problem isn't straightened out by Monday well figure out something in terms of my billing.
That was cool of them to offer that since it is a tower issue. I had a feeling it had to be an issue with towers.

Glad to know it isn't a phone issue, necessarily.