iPhone 2.1, Hit or Miss? And Why? [POLL]

2.1... Hit or a Miss?

• Definatly a hit!

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • So good, that I forgot how good an iPhone could be!

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Miss... I'm a bit disspointed

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Just like 2.0.2, I miss the 1.1.3 days :( !

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Hey Tex, how does the multiple text alert work? I don't see an option to turn it on and I just had a friend text me and it only alerted once, what's the deal?
Good point. I assumed it was automatic...I have not received a text yet, so I have not noticed.

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
I'm on the 2G phone still, but 2.1 has definitely made my apps stable (no crashes yet, and they open more quickly) and my mail comes through perfectly again. Also I let the phone backup this time and it only took about 10 minutes, where it would take upwardsa of an hour before.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
It's still too soon to tell if I like this update or not. I updated this morning to 2.1 and I'm curious as to how my battery life is going to increase (or so Apple says), given that I'll keep everything consistent with how I normally use my device.

I've already had one app lock-up on me (Crazy Lighter). It has frozen before with 2.0.2 (about one out of every four times I run it), and just froze a minute ago under 2.1.

I'll vote tomorrow or sometime over the weekend, once I have a better feel for the update and its (perceived) benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
It's still too soon to tell if I like this update or not. I updated this morning to 2.1 and I'm curious as to how my battery life is going to increase (or so Apple says), given that I'll keep everything consistent with how I normally use my device.

I've already had one app lock-up on me (Crazy Lighter). It has frozen before with 2.0.2 (about one out of every four times I run it), and just froze a minute ago under 2.1.

I'll vote tomorrow or sometime over the weekend, once I have a better feel for the update and its (perceived) benefits.
Apps locking up also might not be a 2.1 software issue, rather rather an App software issue (more likely). Some apps might need a patch/update to go along with the 2.1. I would chalk that app lock to the app itself for the time being.

I have been using this thing all day. I am at 3/4 battery power. Using my Usage meter as a counter, since my last full charge today, I have a total ON time of ~5.5 hours. Usage time is at 3 hours. Standby is at 2 hours. I can already say with confidence the battery is already performing better. (Probably about 1/4 or more better). Even inch counts. I will post the final usage figures when I hit 0 battery.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
For those you you expecting on copy & paste, I do not know why you were expecting it. When it wasn't available at the launch of 3G/2.0, I well expected they are going to release that with 3.0/3rg Generation iPhone. No way they are going to throw that out to use yet. I would be well surprised if Cut and Paste was made available in the 2.X series.

Keep wishing.....They'll use that as a selling point for future release, I am sure of it.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I cannot tell you how happy I am. I am getting full 3G service inside my house (-90 to -95 in field test before I was getting -135 to -140 and then switching to Edge). They fixed the lag issue I was having text messaging, my mail is pushing, my battery life seems to be holding up MUCH better then it was, and apps are installing literally 4 times faster then before. I also noticed that after I updated, that Now Playing and Phone Saber reinstalled itself. I think the new firmware recognizes a bad app install and will reinstall your app for you to fill in the holes, cause both apps are working the best they have ever worked. Extremely happy with this update.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I cannot tell you how happy I am. I am getting full 3G service inside my house (-90 to -95 in field test before I was getting -135 to -140 and then switching to Edge). They fixed the lag issue I was having text messaging, my mail is pushing, my battery life seems to be holding up MUCH better then it was, and apps are installing literally 4 times faster then before. I also noticed that after I updated, that Now Playing and Phone Saber reinstalled itself. I think the new firmware recognizes a bad app install and will reinstall your app for you to fill in the holes, cause both apps are working the best they have ever worked. Extremely happy with this update.
The speedy app download/actually working on the iPhone is another huge plus, you are right. I forgot to mention how much less of a pain it was.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
The speedy app download/actually working on the iPhone is another huge plus, you are right. I forgot to mention how much less of a pain it was.
That was #2 on my list behind call quality with the 3G. I really don't care about bars I know what frequency I should be getting with 3G reception. If I had 2 bars but -90 I would be happy. I am glad they resolved that issue. I was tired of deleting apps and reinstalling them to stop them from crashing, it was such a pain. All in all I am really happy.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Seems to have fixed the iPhone sync/BSOD problem I had after installing iTunes 8. That alone makes it a hit in my book! I haven't really had time to play with much else.

I AM still having issues with my app updates showing an error after every sync, but they ARE working as normal, so...

Bottom line - I can sync again = YAY

Oh, and just for the record - regarding the choices in the poll...

DEFINITELY and DISAPPOINTED

Sorry, but I had to point that out...

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Here is my speed test with 3G inside my house. This also shows the new 3G image. I have gotten it to 1.67 MBPS and 204 KB's download.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Here is my speed test with 3G inside my house. This also shows the new 3G image. I have gotten it to 1.67 MBPS and 204 KB's download.
Seriously, I used to use that site to....But I did some research, and it exagerates the #s a little much. Trust me.

Use this one: http://I.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html

Try it a few times; it seems more accurate to me.

It's reported peak is about 870 kbps on my 3G. That seems about right. If I use the site you used, I get about the same as you reported (~1100kbps)

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Awesome update. Better battery life. I also noticed the backup feature is better. I believe Apple has done it with this update. Thanks to Apple!

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Tex just for you my man. I still cannot tell you how nice it is to see full service under 3G.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Tex just for you my man. I still cannot tell you how nice it is to see full service under 3G.

.... impressive..... I do not know why I show such a discrepency b/w the two sites. Very odd. I jsut did it again. the one you originally used has me at ~1200 kbps. The other at 859kbps.

Interesting.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Well my update to 2.1 went smoothly after I reinstalled iTunes. I had rigged it to stop my BSOD by replacing the Mobile Support Device with the 7.7 version. The update to 2.1 was not happy. Crashed my phone. I uninstalled all Apple software, reinstalled iTunes, did a restored backup, then updated to 2.1. Went so smoothly it was scary. I put a bunch of my apps back on the phone and the phone seems stable. I haven't had the balls to plug it in to see if I still get the BSOD. I disconnected all USB periferalls when I did the update. Also, when I switch to 3G I have no service. I tried a hard reboot and still no service with 3G. Is anyone getting the BSOD running a PC after the 2.1 update? Thanks.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well my update to 2.1 went smoothly after I reinstalled iTunes. U had rigged it to stop my BSOD by replacing the Mobile Support Device with the 7.7 version. The update to 2.1 was not happy. Crashed my phone. I uninstalled all Apple software, reinstalled iTunes, did a restored backup, then updated to 2.1. Went so smoothly it was scary. I put a bunch of my apps back on the phone and the phone seems stable. I haven't had the balls to plug it in to see if I still get the BSOD. I disconnected all USB periferalls when I did the update. Also, when I switch to 3G I have no service. I tried a hard reboot and still no service with 3G. Is anyone getting the BSOD running a PC after the 2.1 update? Thanks.
I have heard from a few people here today that 2.1 fixed the BSOD. Don't know personally, but seems as though it has been fixed.

arts11

Jul 25, 2008
Apple has done it again! NOT!

3G still WON'T work for me (not since I updated to like 2.01 or 2.02; it worked before w/ regular 2.0), and EDGE is actually getting FEWER bars now (down to 3 from a full 5 before). Is there a way to roll back to a previous version or something?