iPhone 2 is coming...............

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

VPA021

Jun 14, 2007
The new Apple iPhone could be obsolete by the time Macworld San Francisco comes around in January 2008 insiders have said.
Apple has already spoken to their manufacturing partners in Asia about the next generation of the iPhone with SmartOffice being told that major software and hardware changes are expected to be introduced to cater for non US markets such as Europe, Asia and Australia.
Among the new capabilities will be GPS and expanded WiFi capability as well as the ability to sync with email servers. Apple research and development executives are according to sources in Taiwan trying to overcome a lack of expanded media support for Flash memory.
In Australia there is also concern that the phone in its present configuration will not be fast enough to handle the Telstra Next G Network, which is described as the world's fastest mobile phone network.​

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Cool. Have already heard this 100 times. I think this rumor has been floating around since 2 hours after Macworld 2007. As I said before, I will buy on friday and one in january. not a problem.

Dartman

Jun 12, 2007
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for iPhone 2, unless by that time there is a rumour about iPhone 3 coming after that. In that event, I'll definitely wait for iPhone 3.

Unless of course, there is speculation about an iPhone 4. In fact, I'm sure that iPhone 4 will have 3TB of memory, solar power and fold up into my wallet.

Now that I think of it, I'm going to wait for iPhone 4. Have fun everyone, see you in a couple of years!

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
The rest of world 3G doesn't play nice on Cingular's 3G network. I think the product releases would have this breakdown:

1st gen iPhone: US market, EDGE
2nd gen iPhone: World markets, 3G per region
3rd gen iPhone: US market, 3G

And as I've said before regarding "obsolesense": The iPhone will do everything it did next year as the day you bought it.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I keep hearing people say that, but that is less than 6 months away, and I won't believe the 2nd generation phone will be out that soon until they actual announce it.

For those waiting for the next phone to come out in 3,4,5 months, I don't know if you should be holding your breath.

Just because Apple is working on the next phone does not mean it will be out then. Apple started working on the 1st generation iPhone long before January of 2007.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for iPhone 2, unless by that time there is a rumour about iPhone 3 coming after that. In that event, I'll definitely wait for iPhone 3.

Unless of course, there is speculation about an iPhone 4. In fact, I'm sure that iPhone 4 will have 3TB of memory, solar power and fold up into my wallet.

Now that I think of it, I'm going to wait for iPhone 4. Have fun everyone, see you in a couple of years!

LOL! By that logic you will never buy an iPhone!:p:p:p

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ

but what about the 5th one?

thinkart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Mid-MO
im looking into my crystal ball at this very moment...
i see iPhone 2.0 announced in jan.
i see it with 3G and arriving in stores sometime between march–june.
i see at least 2 color variations
i see it having more memory, possibly removeable

i also see them releasing a nano-like version; smaller, maybe a flip phone, and less feature-rich. nano iPhone will be priced under $250

:p:p:p

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
That always cracks me up. If i think the iPhone is cool now and enjoy using it, so what if a "better" version comes out after. Honestly, I'm not a total gear head that *has* to have the latest and greatest. The iPhone, as it stands is perfect for me and what I will use it for. I'm not a businessswoman so I won't be on the net all day long. The only major change that may have an impact on me would be more space but I can live with the 8G. Heck, I don't even use half of my 20G iPod at this point.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
The rest of world 3G doesn't play nice on Cingular's 3G network. I think the product releases would have this breakdown:

1st gen iPhone: US market, EDGE
2nd gen iPhone: World markets, 3G per region
3rd gen iPhone: US market, 3G

And as I've said before regarding "obsolesense": The iPhone will do everything it did next year as the day you bought it.
I agree with that layout completely as Ive said before. Maybe in 6 months it WILL have 3g but it wont be in the us. Thats the norm for other countries so when it gets released there that is what I think they will have.

Musiq

May 14, 2007
The way technology is CONSTANTLY changing, there will ALWAYS be something better. So for those of you waiting for iPhone Pt. 2 because you believe it will be better, I think you'll find out later you're making an unnecessary mistake. Let me remind you that the iPhone will simply be a black glass screen. So when Apple decides to make the iPhone "better", how can they improve on a simple black glass screen? Point is, the improvements to the iPhone will come in SOFTWARE UPDATES that won't require you to go buy a brand new device Pt. 2. You will simply do a software update, and whatever new features, graphics, widgets, etc. will simply show up on the NEW screen. That won't require new hardware. We don't go buy a new computer every time we want to add a new application, or Apple updates Bluetooth or the Wireless feature... and the iPhone is basically a handheld computer.

So all of you waiting for iPhone Pt. 2 might find it's just a series of software updates, and be disappointed you waited unnecessarily. Apple has never allowed a swappable battery in any iPod since its creation in 2001, and I don't see that changing for the iPhone. 3G doesn't even exist in most cities in the country, so installing that anytime soon may be irrelevant (WiFi will probably be more than enough). So what else can they do to the "HARDWARE"? Not that much more since it has no buttons to push or dials to turn. Sure we may see some type of changes down the line, but still keep in mind that the basic design of the iPhone is to remain a simple black glass screen. Other companies created a phone that did computer "things" (web, games, pics, etc.). But the iPhone is a handheld computer that also happens to make calls!

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
The way technology is CONSTANTLY changing, there will ALWAYS be something better. So for those of you waiting for iPhone Pt. 2 because you believe it will be better, I think you'll find out later you're making an unnecessary mistake. Let me remind you that the iPhone will simply be a black glass screen. So when Apple decides to make the iPhone "better", how can they improve on a simple black glass screen? Point is, the improvements to the iPhone will come in SOFTWARE UPDATES that won't require you to go buy a brand new device Pt. 2. You will simply do a software update, and whatever new features, graphics, widgets, etc. will simply show up on the NEW screen. That won't require new hardware. We don't go buy a new computer every time we want to add a new application, or Apple updates Bluetooth or the Wireless feature... and the iPhone is basically a handheld computer.

So all of you waiting for iPhone Pt. 2 might find it's just a series of software updates, and be disappointed you waited unnecessarily. Apple has never allowed a swappable battery in any iPod since its creation in 2001, and I don't see that changing for the iPhone. 3G doesn't even exist in most cities in the country, so installing that anytime soon may be irrelevant (WiFi will probably be more than enough). So what else can they do to the "HARDWARE"? Not that much more since it has no buttons to push or dials to turn. Sure we may see some type of changes down the line, but still keep in mind that the basic design of the iPhone is to remain a simple black glass screen. Other companies created a phone that did computer "things" (web, games, pics, etc.). But the iPhone is a handheld computer that also happens to make calls!

I agree with your statements for the most part. Yes I believe most of the updates will be software based. Other than that some of what you said is off. 3G IS available in almost any city, goven it has a pop. > 100,000. Storage is one piece of the hardware that obviously will require physical upgrades. 3G on the other hand is one of those things that could have easlily been built into the device, only to be unlocked via a software update later this year when ATT completes their 3G upgrades.

Musiq

May 14, 2007
Apple has a history of building things into their devices so they can just unlock them later. So I don't doubt 3G and perhaps several other "hidden" feature might already be built into these new phones for later use.

But for anyone to expect a new iPhone hardware in 5 or 6 months is just not using their heads. Even the original iPod never updated itself that quickly, so whatever hardware changes (memory, storage space, etc.) will almost certainly come much later. Just from a simple marketing strategy, Apple has to first sell as many of THIS version of the phone that they can, until it catches on and becomes a much needed device. THEN they improve it. To make any big hardware changes within the first year would totally shut down sale of the original, and would put Apple in competition with itself... which would not make sense.