iPhone 2G help please

joej1953

Dec 26, 2008
I need some info and I could not get it at AT&T. My son wants to give me a iPhone 2g 8gb phone, he is on Alltel and can't use it, before he sends it to me I called AT&T to see if I could just put my sims card in it and use it as a phone and mp3 player (I have no need to us internet on my phone and can not afford $30.00 a month for something I would not use much) My question to yopu guys is will my sim card work in the iPhone to just use it as a phone or was AT&T just trying to make me buy a data package? Thank you

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
You can use it as a phone only, but many, if not all, features, will be disabled...the functionality of the phone will be very limited. For one, you will have to use standard voice mail, and will not be able to use visual voice mail, unless you activate a iphone-specific plan. If you are on a MEdia Net plan, AT&T will send you a friendly reminder that you must change to the iPhone data plan ($30/month), or they'll do it for you.

joej1953

Dec 26, 2008
Thanks, 2 differant people from AT&T tech support told me my sims would not work at all and the phone would just be a paper weight. As I said I do not use the internet at all I just like the iPhone touch screen and would only use it for calls, mp3 player and storing pictures to show friends and family, If I had to buy one I would not for the cost of the phone but for free it is worth it, I just neede to know if the sim card in my regular phone would work in the iPhone.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
AT&T reps keep a wide berth from the iPhone because they only sell and activate it, they refer us to Apple for all support.

I know I put my old original Blackjak's SIM in and the phone part worked. I'm a heavy data user so when I gave them the new IMEI I got set up properly for iPhone.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
AT&T representatives are noob, honestly. I called one of them before (it was a woman) trying to set up voice mail on my Nokia phone, she kept telling me "Hold 1" on the phone's keypad. I did it one hundred times but it keeps automatically dialing 0000 because the Nokia N95 I was using was purchased from Dubai not from USA, it differs. After thirty minutes of trying stuff, she just failed and told me "I'm sorry, sir, it's because you bought your phone from another country. Since you're staying for a short while, you can just buy a cheap phone at Walmart for $13 for voicemail." LOL, she also told me "When you receive a text message from AT&T asking you about how the customer service was, can you please tell them that I solved your problem?" Rofl what a nutcase. Then I went to the AT&T store because I really needed voice mail, all it took the guy was 1 sec, he just dialed my AT&T number that I am using, like I am dialing myself, and it'd redirect me to the voicemail. Jeez.