iPhone 2g home button not working

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
Had a bad digitizer and just replaced it. Now the home button doesn't work even with another home button. Is it the wires underneath the button?

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
Nope. I didn't even drop it. All i did was took it apart and replaced the digitizer/LCD screen. I am guessing it's the wire that might have gone bad

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Take the entire front part off (both lcd screen and digitizer) and check all your wires are seated correctly. I dropped mine the other day and the home button stopped working- one of the wires popped off.

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
Yup, i just took everything apart and found out the wire near the home button had snapped. I just bought another mid frame and have everything replaced.

So if your iPhone home button does not work and you hear the clicking sound, it's not a good sign. Just tried taking that piece apart and it's harder than installing the digitizer.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
mQuickDo, available via Cydia, can be a solution (even if temporary) to getting around the iPhone without a functioning home button.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
mQuickDo, available via Cydia, can be a solution (even if temporary) to getting around the iPhone without a functioning home button.
This is what I used for about 3 days before taking my phone apart.

@ YellowMr2 If you hear the clicking sound and nothing happens, it may not be just a wire problem, the actual switch itself could be broken.

I find replacing the digitizer to be one of the hardest things. The unit as a whole (lcd screen and digitizer as a pair) is very easy to replace. I could probably replace a new screen in under 3mins.

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
Yeah, if the digitizer and the lcd are in one piece, then it shouldn't take long.

About the home button, I changed the switch and still didn't work until i looked extra closely near the tip of the wire and saw that the wire has snapped into two. Don't now know that happened.

esophie

Jul 22, 2010
Guys, how do I remove the entire front off? My home button stopped working after I dropped it and the iPhone doesn't charge anymore either :(

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
My advice, get rid of the 2g and upgrade to a 3g or 3gs. It's a lot cheaper than before since the 4g came out.

If you're going to attempt to repair it, here is the video on how to disassemble your iPhone 2g. Good luck.

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
Guys, how do I remove the entire front off? My home button stopped working after I dropped it and the iPhone doesn't charge anymore either :(
by the way, if you do want to repair your iPhone 2g, i have a spare iPhone 2g mid frame. It's ready to be installed. All you need to do is just swap the lcd, motherboard, frames, etc onto the mid frame and you're all set. PITA to replace the home button on the 2g

esophie

Jul 22, 2010
by the way, if you do want to repair your iPhone 2g, i have a spare iPhone 2g mid frame. It's ready to be installed. All you need to do is just swap the lcd, motherboard, frames, etc onto the mid frame and you're all set. PITA to replace the home button on the 2g
Yes, I want to repair it. I wanted to check if the cable is lose first but don't know how to remove the front off. Is there any trick?

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
Yes, I want to repair it. I wanted to check if the cable is lose first but don't know how to remove the front off. Is there any trick?
Nope, no tricks. Just be extra careful when you're removing each and every part. Watch the youtube link I just posted up.

Here is a picture of the mid frame I am selling. It will come with the home button and the silver bezel. I will also include the tools you need. BTW, I circle the specific wire that you need to check for your charging and home button problem.
IMG_0211.jpg

esophie

Jul 22, 2010
Thank you very much. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know in case I need to buy the parts from you.

YellowMr2

Aug 24, 2009
Thank you very much. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know in case I need to buy the parts from you.
You welcome. DON'T get mad or frustrated. If you do, step away from the iPhone and relax before moving forward (happened to me before). Good luck