iPhone 3G 2.2 kills my WiFi network, literally.

Romeo

Jul 18, 2008
I have tested this and now know it as fact. I have a launch iPhone 3G with the 2.2 software, NOT jailbroken. If I reset my phone and turn it back on, once every three times it completely disables my wireless network. When I mean disable, I'm talking that my LAN light on my Linksys router shuts off completely. I have to power cycle my router to bring my network back up again. It's EXTREMELY frustrating now knowing the culprit, but why in the hell does this happen?!? :mad:

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I would have an issue with the Router not the iPhone, how old is it?

Romeo

Jul 18, 2008
It's a Linksys BEFSR54GS running most current firmware, purchased about two years ago. Only my iPhone does this though. It doesn't matter if I turned off and start my PS3, 360, Laptop, Wii, etc. Only the iPhone booting up causes my network to shut down.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i have read that with some iPhones the 2.2 update kills wifi. apparently this is an issue that Apple knows about and really has no answer. i recommend downloading a different version of the 2.2 update, restoring your iPhone and updating with the new version. you can get different versions of the 2.2 firmware here or google search it. also try searching for others with this issue, i have not heard of a sure fix and i assume Apple is working hard on a 2.2.1 update to try and correct this.

http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/11/firmware-22-download-links.html

Romeo

Jul 18, 2008
i have read that with some iPhones the 2.2 update kills wifi. apparently this is an issue that Apple knows about and really has no answer. i recommend downloading a different version of the 2.2 update, restoring your iPhone and updating with the new version. you can get different versions of the 2.2 firmware here or google search it. also try searching for others with this issue, i have not heard of a sure fix and i assume Apple is working hard on a 2.2.1 update to try and correct this.

http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/11/firmware-22-download-links.html
I have 2.2 5G77. Is there a newer version than that?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
nope, you're SOL until a new update. like i said try to download a different firmware version form the link i gave you and cross your fingers.

Romeo

Jul 18, 2008
nope, you're SOL until a new update. like i said try to download a different firmware version form the link i gave you and cross your fingers.
It isn't too severe... it only happens when I reset my iPhone. It's just extremely frustrating since it fucked up a download earlier. I can work around it now that I know what caused my network to crash.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
are you jailbroken? i would recommend taking it into an Apple store to see if they can help, if you have time.

Romeo

Jul 18, 2008
are you jailbroken? i would recommend taking it into an Apple store to see if they can help, if you have time.
"I have a launch iPhone 3G with the 2.2 software, NOT jailbroken."

Nearest Apple store is about 1½ hour drive from me. If I went there, they'd be replacing the phone anyway. The battery drains too fast now... it's starting to die since it is a launch iPhone 3G.

Dec 26, 2008
Might be a longshot but try calling your ISP and see if they can help you. Perhaps the iPhone is taking an IP address that it shouldn't be, or maybe something doesn't have the right setting (in the iPhone, or in the Router)..

There may be a chance your ISP does not support your router, or even the iPhone however you might just get someone who is willing to experiment or even has experience.

Good luck, and report back when you get it fixed! I'm curious. :)