iPhone 3G 3.1 is needing a restore daily, I get the message Restore needed

jwaddo

Sep 24, 2009
After updating to os 3.1 my iPhone shows the restore needed message "iPhone cannot make or receive calls"..... This is happening daily! and usually takes 2 restores before it works. Mostly the first attempt ends with the battery picture showing on the iPhone screen. so I leave it to charge, then the same restore message shows and so I restore again and all is well.... until the next day of course! :s one other thing, it is also getting quite hot during the restore process.

Please any help would be much appreciated.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is this a 3GS? Is it still under warranty (good for one year from date of purchase)? I would return it to Apple for a replacement if it's that bad. Very warm is ok. It shouldn't get hot. I think your battery might be faulty.

No need for duplicate posts.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hmm. I'd try this. Pull out the SIM card, turn off the iPhone and let it charge overnight. Then, in the morning put the SIM card back in and power the iPhone on. If it prompts you to restore it, do so and when you do, ensure you're setting it up as a New iPhone and NOT from a backup. If you're still getting the same problem after all this, check your warranty status with Apple: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do and if you're covered, take it into an Apple store (or send it in to them) for repair/replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Also, try a different cable when connecting to the PC. It's entirely possible that you have a weak spot in the cable, and thereforee a weak connection, resulting in corrupted firmware install.

Feb 17, 2009
ive been getting this too and im now on my 2nd iPhone 3g so im now going to get a new cable

jwaddo

Sep 24, 2009
Hi thank you both for solutions, Ill give them a try. I'm not convinced they will work though! lol.

Called Apple today and got booked in at an iPhone store, they said they will replace with a new refurb. You should do the same if you are still within warranty. We are obviously the very unlucky ones as you are the first person I've come across who is having the same problem as me. Its rather frustrating having to restore and sync everything once a day!

Last edited by a moderator: