iPhone 3G bricked with official software

jirkafs

Aug 29, 2008
Hi everybody,

I connected my new iPhone 3G it to iTunes (v. 7.7.1.11) to activate and load my contacts and music. It worked fine for 4 days, than I saw on display again activation request. So I plugged my iPhone to PC with iTunes , but I got error saying something like "Activation info cannot be obtained from iPhone because SIM is maybe PIN-locked"-it wasn't. Well, i found some info on Apple.com about restoring and recovering iPhone.

I take iPhone to Recovery mode, pressed "Restore" button in iTunes, than it said I need to "Restore and Update", well than, iTunes downloaded about 250MB file (I think it was 2.0.2 f/w) and start to restore. Restoring were OK, iPhone rebooted. But, the screen saying to connect iPhone to iTunes didn't dissappear ! And what else - my ICCD number changed to "Unknown" and my IMEI changed to something starting by "0049...".

Does please anybody know what to do ? In my carrier store told me, that this is my fault, because I wanted to hack my phone (really ?) and they wont give me anothe one.

Thanks to anyone.

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Take it back and ask them to prove that the phone has been hacked? There is no way they can find anything on it after restore to original firmware anyway!
Secondly, not heard of anyone who was JB having your problem restoring to 2.0.2 so you have a faulty handset, nothing to do with hacking your firmware.
Insist on speaking to a manager - or better still, avoid your store and go to an Apple store.

jirkafs

Aug 29, 2008
There is a problem - in my country are no Apple stores, only resellers :( And in "AUTHORISED SERVICE" they didn't know, what IMEI 0049... means. I had to told them to find it by Google :) In another situation I will found it funny, but not now :((

Can anyone please tell me, how can I prove, that I didn't want to jailbreak it ? I have logs and original f/w package from iTunes, but probably here no one understands anything :((

Thank You

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Tell them to prove it to you.
Worst comes down to worst, call Apple international, get them to deal with the reseller.

jirkafs

Aug 29, 2008
They say, that the IMEI changed to 00 499901 064000 0 proves it :( But there must be any other way, maybe connecting to iPhone by ssh, and then list the file system and look for any unofficial files. But this is probably only my wish :(

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Jesus, don't listen to these numbnuts. Go to another computer, install a fresh iTunes, and restore your phone. Then go back to your iTunes and synch. If you took your phone to an Apple store, that's all they'd do...

Of course AT&T and the iPhone carriers are complete boob jobs... They know nothing and the only one dumber than those guys is the guy that takes his phone to the store and thinks that they can help him out..

jirkafs

Aug 29, 2008
I don't think they can help me :) But - I bought it there and in my country we have no official Apple stores to take the phone to, so thats my only option. I want them to give me a new one, no help, I know, they are dumb :) Because, as I said, "AUTHORISED SERVICE AND RESELLER" of Apple had to find the problem on Google :((

Ok, so I should restore the phone - in recovery mode or in DFU ? Sorry, I am newbie in iPhones :)

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
that's right. Go to ANOTHER computer and restore. You might not need to get into DFU mode if the new iTunes recognizes it like it should. You are an authorized customer, right? Like AT&T or whatever?
There's really nothing wrong with your phone. It sounds like a software screws up. These phones are incredibly durable. I've never even heard of someone that actually bricked their phone... Not if you are an AT&T cusomer, at least.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Uninstall iTunes and reinstall it. Also, pop out your SIM card and make sure it's clean.

jirkafs

Aug 29, 2008
Ok, guys, thank You, now I have my iPhone in their service and I am waiting for them to give it to me back, then I will try and let You know ;)

DrDaveXIX

Sep 8, 2007
same problem here... i tried to restore with a pc and mac and still no luck SOS!

smckinley

Oct 1, 2008
Lugano, Switzerland
Same problem in Switzerland

Early in September I had the same problem 16GB 3G officially unlocked for use with Swisscom by reseller working with carrier. Only used with official app store, no jailbreaks, etc.. Was using 2.0.2 installing upgrades to 2 official appstore apps, someone tried to call me and interrupted install, causing a hang. Attempted restore but this also failed telling me unrecognized SIM, etc. After several additional attempts using older version of iTunes, returning to 2.0.1, etc., returned the unit to reseller thinking could be corrupted SIM, they tried to reactivate but got same error. They then sent to official repair facility who after 2 weeks returned the unit saying it's IMEI (0049xxxx) proved I tried to hack the phone. I explained what happened and confirmed I had absolutely not tried to hack it in anyway. Why should I? It was official, etc. I'm still in limbo as reseller says it's Swisscom that refuses to replace it. Swisscom says it's the repair service (Teleservice) and they say it's Apple. Now 3 weeks and everybody blaming someone else. I'm totally disgusted and only hope is to prove there are similar cases out there. Anyone else in Switzerland or other countries with this same problem?

jirkafs

Aug 29, 2008
smckinley: Yeah man, I had the same problem ! 0049 IMEI = You did it to you by your own and no one want to listen different story. I've copied all logs and packages from iTunes, burn at CD and brought to the shop of your carrier. Tell them that this is the evidence, you dindnt jailbreak it. Anyway, tell them to prove it, ask them to show You one bad (unofficial) file in the phone (I think its possible to connect to the phone by ssh util).

I was lucky - I gave my broken iPhone to the carrier, but they didn't make the repair in statute of limitation, so they had to give me a new one.

tcarb

Nov 1, 2008
I just found this thread after a week of hassle with carrier and Apple support. Traveled to NYC from Vancouver with iPhone 3g 16G. After one day in the city phone blocked and everytime I connected to iTunes as screen suggested, got same reply, "iTunes cannot connect to iPhone because cannot access the information......." Called carrier (Rogers) from v. expensive hotel phone, and they could not figure out how the IMEI number had changed from my original one issued with phone to the 00499XXXXX one. Kept asking me if someone had swapped out the phone.Tech support there said that the IMEI is a hardware ID code and cannot change. Ha! Back in Vancouver, after another lengthy call, Rogers agreed to send me a new phone which I am awaiting.
I would really like to know exactly who blocked the phone. Apple, At&T, or Rogers because I would like to sue for general loss of time, businesss, and the hassle of having to deal with total unhelpfulness from all sides!

tcarb

Nov 1, 2008
Try restoring your iPhone in DFU mode;) . . .
Connecting it to iTunes with the home button pressed allowed me to restore the software, (when I was in NYC) but when I reconnected to iTunes to load and sync, it still showed the same iTunes message that it could not read the iPhone.:)

tcarb

Nov 1, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion :)