iPhone 3G burns some guys leg

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Yup, read above. The plastic melted and burnt this guys leg. Sounds problematic, eh?
Anyone experience anything remotely close to this?

Read about it here. Thanks to Gizmodo (and some poor guy).

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I read this morning on iPhone alley. Guy fell asleep with the phone in his pocket and it burned his leg. That is scary.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
It really is. Plus, it wasn;t like his phone was running on overdrive. He actually had features like push off.
Another reason why aluminum is +1 (disregarding reception, of course).

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I am just glad I have stuck with my V1. There are way too many problems with the 3G at this time. The only problem I have had is a slight lag in opening some apps. That is it. No problems with downloading apps or getting updates or crashing or ..........

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
True, but that is persistent in almost all iPhones, not just the 3g. The back is the only real problem for me.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I am just glad I have stuck with my V1. There are way too many problems with the 3G at this time. The only problem I have had is a slight lag in opening some apps. That is it. No problems with downloading apps or getting updates or crashing or ..........
My husband started using my v1 when I got the 3G. He does a lot of Internet browsing, some texting, a little bit of actual talking on the phone. He's having just as many crashes, if not more, than I am. I think that's a 2.0 thing as opposed to which phone you have.

I also think that one, fluke leg burning would not be a reason to think the phone isn't an improvement over the v1. Integrated gps is awesome. Helped me a TON when I was out of town last week.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
All's fine till:
"Man Explodes into Flames as iPhone Blows Up!"

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
i had my iPhone on my leg while driving using the map application. It gets pretty warm.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Cell Phones exploding and melting is nothing new. That is one of the dis-advantages of lithium batteries (temperatures can cause shorts). Let's hope it's not as bad as all the Laptop Battery Recalls and Apple having to Recall all phones.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Let's hope it's not as bad as all the Laptop Battery Recalls and Apple having to Recall all phones.
With the hairline cracks in the case, apparently faulty antenna's, and now questionable batteries who knows.:laugh2:

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I just went back and looked at the photos.. it really doesn't look like a burn from a rectangular device in a pocket. It should be more uniform in shape, unless he was writhing in his sleep..

Obviously, *something* happened to that phone. Maybe it had a short and melted, as was already stated, it's not physically impossible. I'm just not sure this MacRumors forum member didn't just want to get a little attention.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
It really is. Plus, it wasn;t like his phone was running on overdrive. He actually had features like push off.
Another reason why aluminum is +1 (disregarding reception, of course).
If it was an aluminum back he might have been seared beyond recognition! :)

Like any high tech device it needs some ventilation. I also wonder if the pocket itself kept the screen consistently "on?"

sportsfan12321

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
I've searched + read a bit about this, and it seems it HAS happened to V1's as well so don't be so condescending towards the 3G folks. Anyway, seems like and isolated case so I wouldn't worry about it much.

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I told you the white iPhone 3G attracts less heat! I'm going to start a gps thread now.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
That seems hard to believe considering this.

the temperature sensor happened to malfunction too?

Last edited by a moderator:

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
That seems hard to believe considering this.

the temperature sensor happened to malfunction too?
Well, it's not like the temperature sensor shuts down the iPhone. It may have well gone off but the bugger was sleeping. So, it didn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Well, it's not like the temperature sensor shuts down the iPhone. It may have well gone off but the bugger was sleeping. So, it didn't matter.
Someone definitely posted here before about the temperature sensor rendering his phone inoperable until it cooled down.. He was by the pool or at the beach...

Oh, duh.. That was you, Alex. Guess I should have followed the link before posting. Oops.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Someone definitely posted here before about the temperature sensor rendering his phone inoperable until it cooled down.. He was by the pool or at the beach...

Oh, duh.. That was you, Alex. Guess I should have followed the link before posting. Oops.
Well, it gave him a warning and it could only be used for emergency calls. But it didn't shut the phone down. Which would have been a great feature, by the way, for iPhone 3G Sleepy Guy. :laugh2:

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Sounds like someone looking for 15 secs of fame, I bet it will be disproven.