iPhone 3G case cracks (white)

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Folks, not sure how genuine all the photos are in this as one looks like a drop, but most look like the real deal and it is very worrying. Rumours of a recall have been spreading too and this might just be the reason. There is a shortage of the 16gb white version, could this explain it?
Don't shoot the messenger :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525177

Interesting reading!

Last edited by a moderator:

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
ow. i sure hope that is just a rumor. if not...well just another reason why i prefer the black iPhone.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
INtersting to know. Guess I'll never see those on my black backing?

I went with Black, knowing that the white would pick up blemishes, and gunk much easier than the black. It just seems like such an odd color to have for a phone...but that is just me.

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
Made me look at mine. I've had it since the 14th and no cracks. I put an IS on mine so maybe that has helped.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Hmm I don't know why it would be limited to the white iPhones as it seems both black and white casings are made of the same material. Hopefully this isn't that widespread or Apple is in for quite a headache.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Very strange.. it seems to look like a stress crack (not due to a drop), but they seem to be by the area of the headphone jack, or the silent button, putting in the headphones is a cause of some abuse.
Could be if pressure is applied laterally on the plug end of the jack while its inserted might be the cause. A major mistake by Apple not to reinforce the corners of a plastic back. But if it happens to white it will happen to black...the color is irrelevant, its just that you can see it better on white.
Hopefully its a fluke, but reading the number of instances in that thread put the odds to a flaw in design.
Just be careful of using the headphone jack maybe.
Interesting to see what comes of this.

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
Damn I really hope this isn't wide spread. I just looked my white iPhone over to see if I could see anything. I see nothing. Although, I keep mine in a case all day and probably treat it like its gold.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I got me a cracker, too.

I just looked at mine and I have stress cracks on the other end. Around the screw hole and the part where you plug in the usb cable in.

Oh, it's a white one

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Get that exchanged buddy.
Anyone thinking Apple might have rushed on, oh I don't know...everything?
-Problems with 2.0, 3g iPhones, and MobileMe. You are supposed to stress QUALITY Apple! I know that's why I put up with the price tags!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It doesn't seem like it would be specific to the white iPhones, as the only difference is the color. Either way, another reason to pick black.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Actually one other possible cause that seems much more plausible then my above post, is that these are stress cracks, but their only underneath the clearcoat of the color, this is what i believe it is..high gloss usually has clearcoat in the mix, so what might be actually happening is the plastic back being a somewhat flexible material will tend to shift the paint that lays on it, causing hairline cracks (Its only in the paint) the plastic itself would not crack this easily without a drop.
This happened on many older vettes that have a fiberglass body, it shifted the paint that overlayed it and you see hairline cracks. I wouldn't worry about it.

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
INtersting to know. Guess I'll never see those on my black backing?

I went with Black, knowing that the white would pick up blemishes, and gunk much easier than the black. It just seems like such an odd color to have for a phone...but that is just me.
lol If it happens on a black phone I guarantee it will be more noticeable.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
The tight lips of AT&T and Apple since the 3G launch is very interesting. The 3G sketchy coverage that is not being discussed by either company and now this....

Youngbinks, you seriously need to change your avatar.

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
Thank you for posting this! Just checked my 4 day old, barely used and lovingly cared for white iPhone, and BAM! Crack near the volume buttons.

I have already returned one white iPhone last Thursday after having it for less than 12 hours. That one had a chipped chrome bezel.

So now, in five days, this is defective iPhone #2.

I would rather deal with fingerprints that having to see these cracks. It does seem as if it is under the clear coating, but now that I notice it is there...

Has anyone had luck exchanging for a black one?

EDIT: On closer inspection, I have found about 5-6 cracks along the edge the is touching the volume buttons, and the original one I saw was along the edge the is touching the chrome.

Kind of PO'd right now.

MoJoe

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
www.joebeleznay.com
That really bites, sorry to hear about the cracks for everyone.

The more I read about the probs, the happier I am not upgrading until everything gets ironed out.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Damn I really hope this isn't wide spread. I just looked my white iPhone over to see if I could see anything. I see nothing. Although, I keep mine in a case all day and probably treat it like its gold.

I just looked mine over too, and all is good. But i put it in a case the second i bought it, so i think that has something to do with it. Most of those people with cracks probably don't use cases im guessing.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Ahhhh just another reason I prefer the metal backing of the v1 to the 3G's plastic, cause if someone dropped it you could tell by the dent, but if you have stress cracks on your 3G then Att or Apple may accuse you of dropping it and just trying to get a free iPhone:sick:

Last edited by a moderator: