iPhone 3G connected to laptop?

Aug 2, 2007
Do you think it will be possible to use iPhone's 3g service on a Laptop like the Edge service?

That would be Great! :)

Aug 2, 2007
I understand what you are saying but, hopefully that won't stop someone from trying :cool:

At&t also wanted the exclusive service for the phone and we all know how that turned out.

I'm hoping with the new speed it will inspire someone to really try and crack that feature.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yes you will be able to. Tethering via edge is already available, so it wont be long before it hits the 3G phones. Besides all my old 3G phones had the ability to do that. If it wasn't stock someone came up with a way...

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Whats funny is if you buy another "smart" phone like a blackjack or something tethering is part of the data plan.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Whats funny is if you buy another "smart" phone like a blackjack or something tethering is part of the data plan.
nope, read the fine print, it does not allow tethering on the standard pda data plans. there is a tethering option which costs extra on top of your data plan. If they find out you are tethering they can disconnect your service or charge you for it.

That said, I've tethered via bluetooth with my MacBook and N95 a few times and never had any problems. Just don't do a lot of downloading or p2p stuff and you should be fine.

But with the iPhone it's going to be hard. I'm not sure what's gonna happen with jailbreak once the 2.0 hits. I know there was an app that tethered before, but there won't be any official apps through the app store that allow it.

May 6, 2007
United States
It is true that someone may figure it out on their own, but I meant that Apple and AT&T will definitely not build it in. I guess it's fair game for anyone else, though.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
It is true that someone may figure it out on their own, but I meant that Apple and AT&T will definitely not build it in. I guess it's fair game for anyone else, though.
This was figured out last summer with some jailbreak/hack thing. I fiddled with it and ran out of free time. So now I'm left hoping this becomes one of those "allowed" apps on the App Store.

Jul 1, 2007
Yes you will be able to. Tethering via edge is already available, so it wont be long before it hits the 3G phones. Besides all my old 3G phones had the ability to do that. If it wasn't stock someone came up with a way...
Can you give me info on how to tether my v1 iPhone to my laptop?
Thanks.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Yes, there will be a way to do it, with hacking. I doubt there will be an approved way with built in or add-on support. There's just not enough motivation for it. WinMo already had built in support and no restrictions of software access to hardware or OS services like iPhone has. AT&T wants you to just buy a wireless card and data plan.