iPhone 3G crashing Windows! HELP?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
FIXED via 2.1 - iPhone 3G crashing Windows! HELP!?

Since installing iTunes 8, I can't plug in my iPhone without a complete system crash! blue screen of death crash.
I haven't been able to find any info on this. Can anyone help?

Im running Vista Ultimate SP1 with no problems prior to installing the v8 update. No other changes.

I've tried syncing from a shut down state (reset), as well - with the same result.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Vince

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I am running XP without a problem. As much as I can not comment on Vista my suggestion would be to "totally" uninstall iTunes and re-install a fresh copy. Needless to say when you go to the Apple site to download make sure you grab the correct Vista version.

Good Luck!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I am running XP without a problem. As much as I can not comment on Vista my suggestion would be to "totally" uninstall iTunes and re-install a fresh copy. Needless to say when you go to the Apple site to download make sure you grab the correct Vista version.

Good Luck!
Let me add just one thing. After uninstalling iTunes, reboot the computer and then download again.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
That is what Vista will get you.

Check out the link above.

Sucks. I would just throw Vista away, and install XP. That's just me though. (I run Mac OS X, so perhaps I have no room to talk anymore since I made "The Switch".)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
LOL.. Apple is so jealous of Microsoft, that they are now sabotaging Windows. Come on Apple, get over it! They're not happy having buggy code on the iPhones, that they have to somehow put bugs into Vista.

I guess Jobs wants to cause as much chaos as he can, before he drops dead next week.

But iTunes 8 is running fine on my Vista.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
No offense, but this really isn't a laughing matter. Some XP PCs are also having BSOD issues and some PC users have reported that their PCs did not recover after the BSOD crash. Apple released iTunes 8.0 without adequate testing and they should be ashamed. I would guess that the majority of iPhone users sync with PCs versus Macs. They also released the 3G with all kinds of bugs. The rumored release of the 2.1 update tomorrow is supposed to address these numerous 3G bugs. If you go to the Apple support forum blog on this BSOD issue you will see that this issue is very wide spread. There is a temporary fix that seemed to work for me. I won't know for sure until I try to sync and update my iPhone software tomorrow if it is relased. At least no more BSOD for me everytime I plug in my iPhone.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Read my footer. I have said this time and time again about Apple. People rip at Microsoft, yet think Apple cannot do wrong.

Unfortunate thing is this. The second you click the "I accept the terms and conditions" that totally free's Apple of anything wrong happening to your PC or data. Despite Apple knowing their software is a pile of crap!

Does Apple test their PC software on a Mac running VM Ware or something?

No offense, but this really isn't a laughing matter. Some XP PCs are also having BSOD issues and some PC users have reported that their PCs did not recover after the BSOD crash. Apple released iTunes 8.0 without adequate testing and they should be ashamed. I would guess that the majority of iPhone users sync with PCs versus Macs. They also released the 3G with all kinds of bugs. The rumored release of the 2.1 update tomorrow is supposed to address these numerous 3G bugs. If you go to the Apple support forum blog on this BSOD issue you will see that this issue is very wide spread. There is a temporary fix that seemed to work for me. I won't know for sure until I try to sync and update my iPhone software tomorrow if it is relased. At least no more BSOD for me everytime I plug in my iPhone.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
UPDATE - BSOD appears to have been cured with 2.1 firmware. I was lucky (?) that I figured out if I left the iPhone plugged in after the windows crash, it would usually survive the reboot and then connect automatically as soon as all my start-ups loaded. iTunes would start, and the phone would sync. Today, I plugged the phone it prior to boot and voila! I got the update, installed, and now all appears to be well. I hope everyone else experiencing BSOD can pull this off, as well...

Thanks for the suggestions - and, as for the rest of you; back to your routine Vista bashing. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. I'll uninstall, reboot, then check to see what I can unplug.

That is what Vista will get you.

Check out the link above.

Sucks. I would just throw Vista away, and install XP. That's just me though. (I run Mac OS X, so perhaps I have no room to talk anymore since I made "The Switch".)
um, yeah.
You do realize that is absolutely NO HELP whatsoever, right?
I have Vista installed on 4 laptops and 4 desktops, all running all sorts of networked gear and have had no problems with anything until this point. No thanks, I never liked XP all that much - trying to network was like trying to plot a geostationary orbit using a wristwatch.

Oh, for the record - iTunes 8 itself is running fine. It's when I plug my iPhone in that bad things happen...