iPhone 3G creating custom ringtones?

Jul 20, 2008
hey whats up guys, just purchased a iPhone 3g 16gb and looking for the most convenient way to make ringtones out of my mp3's? any help would be appreciated, im a noob.:laugh2:

P.S - ive tried iPhoneRingToneMaker, it sent the ringtone to my phone but it just vibrates when someone calls me instead of the ringtone. It was a trial version by the way.

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
hey whats up guys, just purchased a iPhone 3g 16gb and looking for the most convenient way to make ringtones out of my mp3's? any help would be appreciated, im a noob.:laugh2:

P.S - ive tried iPhoneRingToneMaker, it sent the ringtone to my phone but it just vibrates when someone calls me instead of the ringtone. It was a trial version by the way.
Download Audacity. Pick the 30 seconds you want to use as your ringtone and save it as an MP3. Go to File > Add File to Library in iTunes. Select the MP3 you just added (It'll be in your Library) Right Click and select "Convert Selection To AAC" it will then add the same file right above or below it, delete your original file and then locate the same file you just changed to AAC. It should be filename.m4a and change it to filename.m4r and then go to Add File to Library in iTunes and it will now appear in your Ringtones tab. Make sure bothof the files are no longer listed in your library.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I use iRinger (www.iringer.net) it does everything for you, even imports them to iTunes for you!

FREE. Why?
Three Steps: Import, Preview then Export. Done.
Convert virtually any audio format into an iPhone ringtone
Extracts audio out of video
Choose which section of the audio you want to hear
Adjust ringtone length, volume, fade in, fade out and loop gap
Export to iPhone ringtone format and import right into iTunes

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.

iPhoneRingToneMaker is a piece of junk. Don't waste your money. If you are on a Mac and have the latest GarageBand, you can make all the ringtones you want from it. It will send them right to the ringtone folder in iTunes and all you have to do is sync.

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
I use iRinger (www.iringer.net) it does everything for you, even imports them to iTunes for you!

FREE. Why?
Three Steps: Import, Preview then Export. Done.
Convert virtually any audio format into an iPhone ringtone
Extracts audio out of video
Choose which section of the audio you want to hear
Adjust ringtone length, volume, fade in, fade out and loop gap
Export to iPhone ringtone format and import right into iTunes
Has to be the crappiest program. Kept opening junk from IE on my computer....has to be loaded with a virus...my virus detector went MAD until I removed the program. Crappy program. Use at your own risk!

Jul 20, 2008
I'm new to the iPhone, but have been using http://audiko.net for my ringtones. You're limited to 40 seconds of the song, which I'm guessing is a way to avoid copyright issues.

it's fairly simple to use. upload your mp3, cut out the section you want, (you have the options of fade in and fade out) then download it in the format you need. you can also search the database for ringtones made by other users.

EDIT: another plus is that you don't have to download any additional software. it's all web based.

Jul 20, 2008
anyone know of a program that does not limit your ringtone length?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
iPhoneRingToneMaker is a piece of junk. Don't waste your money. If you are on a Mac and have the latest GarageBand, you can make all the ringtones you want from it. It will send them right to the ringtone folder in iTunes and all you have to do is sync.
Latest version of iPhoneRingtoneMaker for Mac works like a charm for me, with the 2.0 / 3G iPhone as well as it did with 1.1.4.

I know many people disagree in principle with paying for this when there are perfectly good free methods, which is a fair argument and a definitely valid personal choice - but if you're ok with paying for some convenience factor, I like this app a lot.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Has to be the crappiest program. Kept opening junk from IE on my computer....has to be loaded with a virus...my virus detector went MAD until I removed the program. Crappy program. Use at your own risk!
iRinger is a great program, i use it, and i have scanned it for a virus. Its free b/c there is a little box under it for an ad, also they have a buy version,

i think iPhone will only play like 30 sec of a ringtone

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
[FONT=&quot]I found this info on this Forum.......can't remember who but here it is.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I've put several custom ringtones on my iPhone 3G that were in no way purchased from iTunes. I am using a PC (not a MAC) and the new iPhone (3G/2.0). You don't need any special software... just iTunes 7.7 and you iPhone. Here's how you do it:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Listen to your MP3 and decide what part of the track you want as your ringtone (30 seconds maximum). Note the play time (for example, I would like to use 0:43 to 1:05 as my ringtone).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Right click on the MP3 in iTunes. Select "Get Info." Select the "Options" tab. Make sure the "Start Time" and "Stop Time" boxes are checked and enter the times you have selected for your ringtone. Click "OK."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Right click on the MP3 again, and select "Convert Selection to AAC." iTunes will create a second track with the same title.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Click and Drag the new track onto your desktop. Delete the track from iTunes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. On your desktop, right click on the track and select "Properties." If the filename has ".m4a" at the end, just change it to ".m4r", if it just has the track name, you will need to click "Cancel," open up "My Computer," select "Tools" and then "Folder Options." From there, you will select the "View" tab and uncheck the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types." Then go back to the beginning of this step and change ".m4a" to ".m4r"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Now the rest is simple. Back in iTunes, go to "File">"Add File to Library." Select the track from your desktop and click "Open." This will put the track in the Ringtones section of your library.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Go into the iPhone section of your iTunes and your newly created ringtone should be in the ringtones section ready to be synced! It will appear where the rest of the ringtones are in your phone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm sorry for this being so long, but you should be able to have your own custom ringtones on your iPhone now, FOR FREE! You'll also want to go back to what you did in step 2 and uncheck the start and stop time so your MP3 will play in it's entirety again.[/FONT]

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Latest version of iPhoneRingtoneMaker for Mac works like a charm for me, with the 2.0 / 3G iPhone as well as it did with 1.1.4.

I know many people disagree in principle with paying for this when there are perfectly good free methods, which is a fair argument and a definitely valid personal choice - but if you're ok with paying for some convenience factor, I like this app a lot.
It isn't the fact that you have to pay for it. I bought this program when I first got the iPhone. It works fine until an update comes out for the phone. Then you will find that it no longer works and you have to do one of two things. Either wait on the update until "maker" finds a way to make their program work with the update or do the update and not have your ringtones for about a month. This is about how long it takes the people at ringtone maker to get a fix. I suffered through this for the three updates that V1 had and it was the same situation each time.
So, if you don't mind putting up with this junk every time there is an update then it is a fine program. Just wasn't for me.

PSs: Don't even get OJ started on this subject.:laugh2:

jester310

Aug 9, 2007
It isn't the fact that you have to pay for it. I bought this program when I first got the iPhone. It works fine until an update comes out for the phone. Then you will find that it no longer works and you have to do one of two things. Either wait on the update until "maker" finds a way to make their program work with the update or do the update and not have your ringtones for about a month. This is about how long it takes the people at ringtone maker to get a fix. I suffered through this for the three updates that V1 had and it was the same situation each time.
So, if you don't mind putting up with this junk every time there is an update then it is a fine program. Just wasn't for me.

according to the new version of iPhoneringtonemaker it converts ringtones and sends them to your iTunes library under the ringtones section so this version will always work even if the iPhones gets an update

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

I can see how the updates issue could create a lot of frustration. I am hoping this version ( as the poster above has mentioned) is somewhat future-proof in that it works strictly via iTunes ...

bronxaccents

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
New York City
im new to a mac i created a ringtone but i have the file on my desktop, is their a way i could make a folder or something to put them in so my desktop is too clustered?

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
iRinger is a great program, i use it, and i have scanned it for a virus. Its free b/c there is a little box under it for an ad, also they have a buy version,

i think iPhone will only play like 30 sec of a ringtone
Then you lucked out. The one I got sent my computer NUTS

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
[FONT=&quot]I found this info on this Forum.......can't remember who but here it is.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've put several custom ringtones on my iPhone 3G that were in no way purchased from iTunes. I am using a PC (not a MAC) and the new iPhone (3G/2.0). You don't need any special software... just iTunes 7.7 and you iPhone. Here's how you do it: <instructions removed for length>[/FONT]
I saw this posted here, too, and it is working GREAT for me. If you're a more visual learner, someone made a YouTube video that runs you through the steps. It was linked in the thread where this was discussed last week.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xUfC4SVa_pQ

Jul 21, 2008
SO is there a hack to be able to apply the new ringtones -- now in the Custom section of the 3G -- to be able to play a specific Custom ringtone for individual contact phone numbers. When I receive an incoming call I want hear a specific ring from one of my 8 custom ring tones? Yes I have gone to the contact and selected the unique custom ringtone on the 3G for that contact - yet it still defaults to the "default ringtone" Waz up with that?
That's the point of having several different custom ringtones to select from. Am I missing something? Done the hard part of getting the custom ringtones on the phone- (and they play and sound fine) but cannot apply to individual contacts phone numbers. What gives?

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
Just keep doing it. Go slowly...I have a few diff ring tones for diff contacts and I just had to touch the "buttons" slowly and deliberately...no rushing.