iPhone 3G dead after charging overnight

scholls22

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
I have been having problems when charging my iPhone 3G... On almost any chager, it seems like my battery is draining out. I can charge it all night on my pc and the next day there is a little lightning bolt at the bottom of the screen and the battery is DEAD. After connecting it to several different power sources eventually it begins charging correctly....

Any ideas?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, there are a LOT of variables here.
1) are you using the same cable every time you charge?
2) if you have more than 1 cable, are you able to duplicate the problem on both/all cables through both PC and AC wall charger?

First try this: Go into Settings, General, Reset, reset all settings **** warning, this also resets WiFi connections, and other general OS data. It should not affect mail or anything else except possibly game info. Try this and if the problem persists...

AND you are inside your first year warranty (or have Apple care) Make the appointment to take it in to Apple and have them exchange it. Of course they will test it for you first, and they should be able to see if there is a problem right off the bat. It might be necessary to leave it with them for a short time so they can see the drain.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
check and make sure that once you plug it up there's a lightning bolt on your battery indicator up top. Sometimes when i plug in my iPhone to the charger that came with my ipod or car chargers it'll show a sign of the two prongs rather than a lightning bolt for charging.

scholls22

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
I have tried different cables and even a car charger. It seems that it almost drains the battery when the charger is connected. Of course the warranty ended one month ago.

scholls22

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
check and make sure that once you plug it up there's a lightning bolt on your battery indicator up top. Sometimes when i plug in my iPhone to the charger that came with my ipod or car chargers it'll show a sign of the two prongs rather than a lightning bolt for charging.

nope, no lightning bolt...its the little plug looking thing

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Maybe the charging dock needs cleaning? You can get a charge sometimes and you have tried different cables...maybe it is the phone port.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe the charging dock needs cleaning? You can get a charge sometimes and you have tried different cables...maybe it is the phone port.
I have tried different cables and even a car charger. It seems that it almost drains the battery when the charger is connected. Of course the warranty ended one month ago.
It sounds like the battery might be bad. I would try a restore to factory settings and if that doesn't work, look into getting it replaced.

scholls22

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
It is a jailbroken phone....I have tried un jailbreaking it and am still having the issues....I am doing a restore right now.

iPete

Aug 19, 2009
I had the same problem

I had this same problem with my 3g. Mine is also jailbroken, but not unlocked. Anyway... it ended up going away after I tried a few things:

I know that rechargeable batteries have a memory to them, and like to be fully discharged once in a while. So I let it completely drain and left it alone for a couple hours. Then when I charged it again, I put it in airplane mode so that I could have as little as possible load on the battery. After it reached full charge I turned airplane mode off.

I'm not sure if this solved my problem or if it just happened to go away by coincidence. But you might give it a try.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Funny.. I had this happen to me a few days ago. One thing is certain and the iPhone is very picky about letting the battery get less than 10%. The other day I ran it down to 3% (my mistake) and it took a bit of coaxing to get it to charge properly. I too showed the icon that shows that it is fully charged when in actuality it is not. I tried a few different methods and eventually it took the charge. I had hooked up an auxiliary direct connect battery to the bottom and that did the trick.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Do you power cycle the phone occasionally? adnurahs learned that open Safari browser pages regularly refresh in the background so that it caused her weird power issues. She said that she had as many 9 open pages at a time. I power cycle about every 3 - 5 days on GP.

YMMV

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
One thing you should do when the battery is that low is try NOT to use the iPhone at the same time. That's a no-no and it must be too much of a load as the charging icon swiftly turns from the lightning bolt to the two prong icon. This happens sometimes with it half charged as well when I play music in addition to using Google Maps while plugged into the car charger, or even at home plugged into the wall with the Apple wall charger. It doesn't like the strain or something like that. Just make sure you leave it alone when it charges and see if that helps.

And by the way, I've let my iPhone battery drain several times completely to where it cuts off in the middle of doing something to no ill effect and afterward charging it to full capacity. I believe it's done well to increase the charging capacity of the battery in all actuality as I think this is recommended by Apple themself.