iPhone 3G First Day

Jun 12, 2007
Atlanta
Any idea what kind of lines to expect on July 11th? Will it be sold when stores open in the morning or another of those 6PM deals?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Think most of this is still anybody's guess at the moment. I really hope July 11th means *first thing* on that date, not any nonsense about halfway or further through the day - that just seems very silly and wrong ...

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
Repeat of last year

Think most of this is still anybody's guess at the moment. I really hope July 11th means *first thing* on that date, not any nonsense about halfway or further through the day - that just seems very silly and wrong ...
Yeah, I have a feeling they will do the same 6pm launch thing as last year.

toss002

Mar 7, 2007
I just know that I have to get up early. Call in sick. Get to the store even earlier than a year ago, since I'd be spending more time with the activation and all.

Any idea what kind of lines to expect on July 11th? Will it be sold when stores open in the morning or another of those 6PM deals?

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
Yeah - just saw something over at Macrumors speculating that will be the deal. Seems very stupid to me ...
Yes, I agree...guess they wanta drag it out and hold people off as long as they can just to bug the crap out of everyone!

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
I actually think they will launch early in the morning or regular opening time. Reason being, how long do you think it's going to take now that the phones have to be activated in-store? 6:00 launch would be pointless and a joke. Just a thought.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I actually think they will launch early in the morning or regular opening time. Reason being, how long do you think it's going to take now that the phones have to be activated in-store? 6:00 launch would be pointless and a joke. Just a thought.
Hope you're right! And yeah, that in-store activation is going to make it all much more of a nightmare ...

jnowaczyk

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Michigan
www.gsmunlockonline.com
I would bet normal hours they want to sell as many as they can first day
and im sure they will have lines as well waiting . i don't have 3g coverage where i live so im in no rush .. i may wait till all the bugs are out of the 1st shipment :cool:

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
My guess on this, it would revolve around the activation process. In store only I think they would begin the sale first thing in the morning, Apple may be responsible for the largest amount of call-ins in one day LOL . At home activation 6pm, the 6 pm time was discussed iDay 07' about the free media attention that Apple would get here in the States, but the launch in 20+ countries on July 11 will have media world wide buzzing.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
To me, part of the experience of iDay is waiting in-line for a few hours talking to fellow Mac-geeks :p.
True, but I only have so many things to say to Mac geeks. Will I have to be talking with them from 5 AM until well past 6 PM, or will it just be from 5 AM until a few hours after the store opens in the morning? There's a huge difference there, between impatience and wrist-slitting.

I brought this up in my thread about launch day, but I only got one response /cry

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I think im going to go early this time in case there are lines and if its release is at 6.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Activations at the AT&T stores shouldn't take too long the first day if the stores only have about forty iPhones each.

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
To me, part of the experience of iDay is waiting in-line for a few hours talking to fellow Mac-geeks :p.
While you are correct that is part of the experience, I believe it will still happen as a result of everyone waiting to activate the new phone in store. Depending on the size of the store they are not going to let more than about 12 in at a time and from there only let someone else in as someone leaves.

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
They did just announce that you CAN walk out of the store with the phone an activate through iTunes but you must sign the waiver that an AT&T account must be placed onto the phone within 30 days so this will cut the lines down abit.

wendycharles

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
I think it will be early morning on the 11th. I have a client who's a manager at a att retail store and he states that the staff will be getting to work several hours earlier than normal to handle the crowd.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
I may be wrong but I don't think that it is a full activation, I think I read somewhere that you sign up for the contract and the data plan and then you finish the rest at home. Not sure though