iPhone 3G getting hot on back?

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I have an iPhone 3g that I purchased new from the Apple Store last May or so. I have babied it since I have had it and over the past 2 weeks something has me a bit concerned.

When I have the phone in standby (just click the button to get it on not the power switch) the back of the phone is getting HOT. Hot to the point of me turning it off because it is HOT.

I have never encountered this ever (this is my first iPhone) until 2 weeks ago. It is also getting hot when I have been using it (again something that has never happened since purchase).

Has anyone encountered this on a regular 3G iPhone (not a 3GS)?

Thanks for any information on what is going on or what I could possibly do.

Regards!
:)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
This happened to me once on my old 3G, but only when it was charging, had music playing, and was under a pillow (don't ask). It was literally burning hot to the point where I couldn't touch it for longer than a few seconds. I unplugged the plug from the wall, waited a minute or so, and then turned it off for a few hours. Never happened again.
If your phone is doing this on a regular basis without any similar situations like I described, I'd definitely take your phone in to see a "Genius'' if you're still under warranty.

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Not even sure if it is under warranty but my credit card company doubles all of the manufacturer's warranties on electronic devices to include phones. Stupid question but how do I know if it is under warranty? Was the original 6months, year, 2 years?

Thanks Saverino!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Not even sure if it is under warranty but my credit card company doubles all of the manufacturer's warranties on electronic devices to include phones. Stupid question but how do I know if it is under warranty? Was the original 6months, year, 2 years?

Thanks Saverino!
It's one year from the original purchase date.

You can check here on Apples site to see if you're still covered. :eek:k:eek:k

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Mine (3g 16gb) gets pretty hot at times also. I use the iPod throughout the day which doesn't effect the temperature whatsoever. However, whenever I use WunderRadio for a few hours straight the phone gets extremely hot in loose pockets of my cotton cargo shorts. Sometimes I think it's burning my skin - lol

I always charge it face down because doing it the other way often raises the temperature also.

Honestly, I'm not terribly worried about it. I know it will shut itself off and prevent itself from powering back on if it gets too far out of the safe temp range. It's obviously not reached that point yet.

I know the geniuses can tell if the phone has overheated and shut down as a consequence but can they really hold the consumer responsible for overheating like they can and do with moisture damage?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Yeah I'd check to see if you're still under the 1-year warranty, and if you are, you may want to look into the AppleCare. The only reason I'm saying this instead of going with your credit card company reimbursement in this particular case is because you got the 3G at a subsidized price. They'll reimburse you for what you paid; however, if you're outside the warranty and need to purchase a new phone, you'll be paying retail price which is far more than you paid for your 3G initially.

Good luck!

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
As said, the iPhone should never be too hot, and not when you don't use it! When listening to music, surfing the net, playing around with apps, then my 3G also get warm - but never "hot"!

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Sometimes my 3G wil be in my pocket (on stby) and it'll heat up. Happens every now & then.

RagzMan

Sep 16, 2009
Salt Lake City
Did you happen to upgrade to 3.0 or 3.1 in the last couple of weeks? I just upgraded the other day, and now I am getting the warm phone and battery drain issues. There are a bunch of threads out there about the issues with the new firmware - but maybe unrelated to your issue?