iPhone 3G glossy back scratch proof?

Jul 14, 2008
Hey Guys, I haven't got a iPhone 3g yet... i will soon though :) but im dieing to know if the glossy back of iPhone 3g is scratch proof? i hav read some ppl saying that it is.. and some saying that it isn't.. so i hav no clue if it is or not. So for all u lucky ppl who hav the new iPhone... is it scratch proof?

Cheers,
Charles

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Hey Guys, I haven't got a iPhone 3g yet... i will soon though :) but im dieing to know if the glossy back of iPhone 3g is scratch proof? i hav read some ppl saying that it is.. and some saying that it isn't.. so i hav no clue if it is or not. So for all u lucky ppl who hav the new iPhone... is it scratch proof?

Cheers,
Charles
Although the glossy back seems to be resistant to scratches, keep in mind it's still plastic and will scratch under the right circumstances.

Scratch proof? Absolutely not!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The mirrorized Apple logo on the back of mine has scratches already, albeit small ones.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
I haven't gotten any scratches yet (knock on wood), but my iPhone hasn't left my hands unless I set it down on a very soft surface. I need to buy a case soon, preferably a clear case so that I can still show off the sexy white back of the phone.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
All you have to do is just take decent care of it and it seems good to go. So far I am very impressed by the durability of the phone.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
At a glance it appears to be scratch resistant but if you examine the back by moving it around in different lights you will see it is very succeptable to "micro scratches" much like the razr2. Definitely not scratch proof. If I look very closely I can see them all over my iPhone 3G. If I just look at it regularly it appears scratch free though.

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
I've had a v1 for 9 months now and it has barely any scratches. I don't even use a case. What do these people do to their iPhones to get so many scratches on it? and why complain about a few smudges and scratches? ... it's a phone, the front is what needs to be pretty.

brmcguire

Jul 14, 2008

Cheers,
Charles
I have the Black 3G iPhone and have a few minor scratches on the back. I basically sat it on a table and probably rotated it some and picked up the hairline scratches. It will happen more I am sure. A case/skin is a must. Its like a new car. You will eventually get a door ding sooner or later.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
a ding on my iPhone? No thanks :p

Everything is prone to scratching.
Even yourself.

anneuryzm

Jul 8, 2008
it's just like anything else. Anything harder than the plastic will scratch it. When you set it on a table and there happens to be dirt or whatever underneath it, it's more than likely going to get scratched.

That's usually how you get swirl marks on your car's paint job. You wash the car, but at the same time you're rubbing dirt into the paint. Dirt is harder than paint, thereforee leaves scratches.

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I have not noticed any scratches on my black back. One thing is that the new back is NICE. Not visually but functionally. I found with my old V1 that the aluminum back wanted to slip from my hands. The plastic back STICKS to my hand. It has a nice feel of control that I will not drop it UNLIKE the V1 aluminum back.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If you want the definition irony, remember that a lot of cases actually CAUSE scratches. This is because they leave an opening somewhere where dirt or sand can get in. Once the dirt is in there, it will definitely scratch because the case is putting a lot of pressure on the phone, and the pressure being put on the dirt onto the phone scratches it even more than if there hadn't have been a case. This is because no case=no pressure. The only pressure would be if you yourself pushed the phone into some dirt.

Lesson? Use the Invisible Shield. It sticks to the phone so no dirt can possibly get in. It's the ONLY scratch proof way to go.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yes, use the Invisible Shield from Zigg, I have two 20% off coupons I can email if anyone wants one PM me.