iPhone 3G INSURANCE?

cjizay

Aug 13, 2008
Im thinking about buying an iPhone plan this is what im guessing its going to cost

• 70$ AT&T monthly fee
  • 10-15$ tax fee
  • 5$ texting fee
Thats what i have so far but what about insurance? Is there insurance at all and what does it cover? Is it necessary?

Please correct my prices if im wrong :laugh2:

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
AT&T doesn't offer insurance for the iPhone, so you would have to get it from another party

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Not sure, I've heard of some people insure their iPhone through companies like State Farm

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I have mine Insured with my State Farm in Oklahoma
34 dollars for a year coverage and no deductible

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
For an actual insurance service like that, I'd imagine it will. Now that Best Buy is going to carry the iPhone you can get their accidental damage and handling service plan which will cover most everyday usage issues, other than the phone being completely destroyed or lost of course. A full blown insurance would be needed for that.

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
For an actual insurance service like that, I'd imagine it will. Now that Best Buy is going to carry the iPhone you can get their accidental damage and handling service plan which will cover most everyday usage issues, other than the phone being completely destroyed or lost of course. A full blown insurance would be needed for that.
has it been confirmed they'll offer it?

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
I insured mine through squaretrade. Make sure to enter the replacement cost (399) under purchase price otherwise you would only get $199. The accidental damage does have a $50 deductible. I got a 3yr policy for ~100. Try code TWTYOFF for 20% off

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I insured mine through squaretrade. Make sure to enter the replacement cost (399) under purchase price otherwise you would only get $199. The accidental damage does have a $50 deductible. I got a 3yr policy for ~100. Try code TWTYOFF for 20% off
Won't you have to pay $500+ for a new iPhone if you broke it? Do they just give you a new iPhone or money for a new iPhone? Thanks for the link, and discount.

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
Won't you have to pay $500+ for a new iPhone if you broke it? Do they just give you a new iPhone or money for a new iPhone? Thanks for the link, and discount.

well isn't the price of the phone if you are not eligible for upgrade $399 +$36 activation? (8gb) They don't give you a new phone if they can't repair it, they give you a check w/in 5 businesss days.

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
has it been confirmed they'll offer it?
From what my manager has said about it, I believe it will be offered on the iPhone. The big thing to consider in this fact is that it's not something being given by Apple or AT&T. Best Buy itself is taking liability with its service plans, so it can do whatever it wants with them.

Frankly, I believe it to be the best deal out there. First it covers exactly the same as what the Apple warranty covers, and adds to that you can get warranty service directly through Best Buy, rather than having to go through Apple (like in my area the closest Apple store is almost an hour away). But also the service plan for the iPhone will cover accidental damage as long as it's not complete submersion into water or isn't completely destroyed. One other big thing that the Best Buy Mobile cell phone service plans does is give you a loaner phone while your phone is sent out for repairs or replacement.

May 31, 2007
The old insurance from ATT covered everything up to losing the thing with a $50 deductible... I wish they still offered that on the smartphones...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have a PAP (personal articles policy) on my iPhones (v1 and 3G) and it's about $50 a year for each but it it covers accidental damage, loss and theft. It's the best iPhone related investment I've made. Oh, and it has a $0 deductible.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I have a PAP (personal articles policy) on my iPhones (v1 and 3G) and it's about $50 a year for each but it it covers accidental damage, loss and theft. It's the best iPhone related investment I've made. Oh, and it has a $0 deductible.
Very nice Youngbinks. How did you get this insurance on your iPhone because I for sure want it on mine!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Very nice Youngbinks. How did you get this insurance on your iPhone because I for sure want it on mine!
It actually varies by state (I know for a fact that Arizona doesn't offer it any longer) but you just need to find your local State Farm Insurance Office and go in and inquire as to whether they offer a PAP (Personal Articles Policy) on phones. You will need to provide a copy of the receipt and they will take a few photographs of your phone and hopefully said you're covered and send you on your way.

Definitely let us know how it goes.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I just might give it a try. I'll let you guys know if I do by posting it in a new topic or something. Much thanks.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
A letter from Asurion came in the mail for me. I'll transcribe most of it for you:

Dear AT&T Customer:

As you previously elected, your wireless equipment is currently enrolled in the Wireless Phone Insurance program for customers of AT&T. The program is underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company, and administered by Asurion Protection Services, LLC, a licensed agent of CNA.

Protecting your investment with the optional Wireless Phone Insurance program is a wise choice because purchasing a replacement can certainly be costly and inconvenient. Your enrollment in the program means that if your phone is lost, stolen, or accidentally damaged beyond repair, or requires an out-of-warranty repair, you're covered. A simple toll-free call is all it takes to get your claim process started. Once approved, a replacement is generally received within 24 to 48 hours, taking the hassle out of replacing your phone and saving you time.

The deductible applicable to some advanced wireless devices will increase to $125 per loss effective November 3, 2008 at 12:01 a.m. However, the deductible applicable to most wireless phones is not changing and will remain at $50 per loss. Please refer to the enclosed eligible device schedule to determine which deductible applies to your covered wireless phone. New phone models and their associated deductible amounts are added to the schedule regularly and you may obtain a current schedule at any time by visiting www.att.com/wirelessphoneinsurance or by calling 1-888-562-8662. Enclosed with this notification is a complete copy of your new Coverage Certificate reflecting the key change of the deductible schedule. Please read this Certificate for the complete terms ofyour coverage.

There will be no changes to your monthly insurance premium. Payment of the monthly insurance premium for your first billing cycle on or after November 3, 2008, will serve as confirmation that you accept the changes and wish to continue your enrollment in the Wireless Phone Insurance program. If you wish to discontinue your optional enrollment in the program you may do so at any time by calling Asurion Customer Care at 1-888-562-8662.

For questions specificlly related to this notice please call 1-866-316-0199. We look forward to continuing to meet your wireless insurance needs with the quick and courteous service you expect from Asurion.

Sincerely,
Asurion Protection Services, LLC
What's weird is that the iPhone is not listed in the deductible schedule list in the mailer and online. I also wasn't able to get in touch with an Asurion customer service representative.

I wonder if they send this to all customers who just bought an expensive phone?

Or are they actually now covering iPhones?