iPhone 3G issues - battery meter/data service

hankito

Aug 12, 2008
San Diego
So I'd like to let everyone know that I had the data problem come back after a while where suddenly I don't have connectivity anymore in Edge/Wifi/3G (either one) just not nearly as often at all (reboot every few days instead of every day).

Also in their effort to fix their battery usage a problem came up that made me really curious. The problem is I noticed my battery was fully charged, 'a while' later' after I had been using the 3G network and ipod feature and so on I had noticed that the battery meter was still 100%. I thought to myself wow that is really good life. Throughout the day I had done heavy data, email, bluetooth and at the end of the day (about 12 hours later) it still showed 100%. I rebooted and it immediately showed 10% and gave me the 10% error.

It doesn't happen every time but still thats not what I really call fixing battery life. Although when the battery doesn't do this feature I do notice that my phone does drain less over the day.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So I'd like to let everyone know that I had the data problem come back after a while where suddenly I don't have connectivity anymore in Edge/Wifi/3G (either one) just not nearly as often at all (reboot every few days instead of every day).

Also in their effort to fix their battery usage a problem came up that made me really curious. The problem is I noticed my battery was fully charged, 'a while' later' after I had been using the 3G network and ipod feature and so on I had noticed that the battery meter was still 100%. I thought to myself wow that is really good life. Throughout the day I had done heavy data, email, bluetooth and at the end of the day (about 12 hours later) it still showed 100%. I rebooted and it immediately showed 10% and gave me the 10% error.

It doesn't happen every time but still thats not what I really call fixing battery life. Although when the battery doesn't do this feature I do notice that my phone does drain less over the day.
For the data problem, if you go into settings, general, reset, and reset network settings, you shouldn't experience anymore problems. If you are on any firmware below 2.1, the problems are likely to return.
As far as the battery, reboot every 2-3 days to keep the meter reset and accurate. if you power it off and then connect to the cable, it will boot automatically.

hankito

Aug 12, 2008
San Diego
hmmmm

Ok the Data work around I tried and I'll see how that goes even though I had to resetup VPN....

As far as the battery thing...sorry that needs to be fixed. If i wanted to reboot my phone every 3 to 4 days I would have stayed with the Treo or went with some MS Windows based phone.

--Hank

For the data problem, if you go into settings, general, reset, and reset network settings, you shouldn't experience anymore problems. If you are on any firmware below 2.1, the problems are likely to return.
As far as the battery, reboot every 2-3 days to keep the meter reset and accurate. if you power it off and then connect to the cable, it will boot automatically.

hankito

Aug 12, 2008
San Diego
no worky

Well, Hawk, your solution didn't work. I just now rebooted my phone after not having a problem on 2.1 since this post. Ok so I only have to do it ever once in a while, but as I said, rebooting the phone is supposed to be a windows thing and I should not have to reboot to fix anything.

I think the phone is better as far as a lot of things but Apple still has work to do.

Hank

Jul 29, 2008
Winter Park, FL
Immediately after I installed 2.1, my battery did the same thing as hank's. It showed 100% forever, which made me curious, I rebooted, it went to 10%. However this has not happened since.

I don't reboot my phone ever btw.

What I wonder about this battery meter, is what do you use as a baseline battery meter usage interval? I mean if you think you are calibrating it, what are you calibrating it against? Is this some inside thing you know about iPhone software, that a reboot calibrates the meter?