iPhone 3G Jailbroken - Speakerphone Not Working

Jan 21, 2009
Essex Fells, NJ
Out of nowhere my speakerphone just stopped working an it's really making me mad. Any ideas why this happened and if so does anyone know how to fix it?

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Still have sound and everything out of the speakers other than that? That's one of the downfalls about jailbreaking sometimes, causes other issues. Have you installed any apps prior to it failing?

Jan 21, 2009
Essex Fells, NJ
The speaker works when I listen to voicemails, and play music but when I am in a call I tap it and can't hear anything at all. I haven't installed anything recently except for something from the App Store called Sale Price.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Try restoring the iPhone 3G and installing the latest firmware version. Then try the speaker, if it works and then doesn't work after you jailbreak then it's obvious what's causing that. If it still doesn't work before you jailbreak (after restoring) then you need to take it to the Apple Store and get it checked.

Jan 21, 2009
Essex Fells, NJ
I guess I could try that but I have the latest firmware installed now. This is just really frustrating.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Try Restoring as Tarek said and see what you come up with. You'll probably have to go through a little trial and error before you can work out what the deal is. If your concerned- take it to Apple. Just make sure you restore if before you go :)

Jan 21, 2009
Essex Fells, NJ
Thanks everybody I will restore it tomorrow and pray that it fixes the problem. If not Apple Store, here I come. I'll keep everyone updated.

huskerboy

May 18, 2009
Same thing happened to me 2 months ago. (not a jailbreak phone and latest firmware installed) Speakerphone worked for everything but calls. Did a reset and restore at home and at the Apple Store and no go. They replaced it with no problem. Good luck!

Jan 21, 2009
Essex Fells, NJ
Thanks husker, glad to hear that they replaced it for you. I will still try the restore and if it doesn't work then I will go to the Apple Store but then again there is supposedly a new iPhone coming out soon, so who knows if it makes sense to do it because I'll probably get the new iPhone anyway.

bencjedi

Jun 18, 2009
Thanks husker, glad to hear that they replaced it for you. I will still try the restore and if it doesn't work then I will go to the Apple Store but then again there is supposedly a new iPhone coming out soon, so who knows if it makes sense to do it because I'll probably get the new iPhone anyway.
I am having the same problem with my JB 3G and wondering if 3.0 will fix it. What did you wind-up doing?

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Out of nowhere my speakerphone just stopped working an it's really making me mad. Any ideas why this happened and if so does anyone know how to fix it?

Mario, I went through two NEW consecutive phones with the same problem, from what I was told by Apple TS it's a known issue. I returned them both and received a new (not factory reconditioned) phone.

bencjedi

Jun 18, 2009
Mario, I went through two NEW consecutive phones with the same problem, from what I was told by Apple TS it's a known issue. I returned them both and received a new (not factory reconditioned) phone.

Tug, I am having the same problem. Were yours both jailbroken? I want mine fixed, but guess I need to restore original Apple firmware to it and then go to the store?

bencjedi

Jun 18, 2009
For future reference to someone.. there was NOT a hardware problem with my speakerphone option. I did a restore type of update to 3.0 and the speakerphone works fine. I then jailbroke 3.0 and the speakerphone during a call-in-progress still works perfectly. That means my original jailbreak for 2.2.1 BROKE my speakerphone option. You can very well just have this as asoftware glitch, but the only way to know if to do a DFU mode restore of legit firmware to your iPhone and then test.

Hope my experience helps someone out

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Tug, I am having the same problem. Were yours both jailbroken? I want mine fixed, but guess I need to restore original Apple firmware to it and then go to the store?
Sorry it took so long to reply to this thread.

No, neither phone was jailbroke. I called Apple TS and after trying to trouble shoot it over a land line they determined both phones were defective and Fed Ex'd me both phones which I received with in days of calling TS.

Hope I could be of some help

bencjedi

Jun 18, 2009
No problem Tug. With 3.0 coming out I really wanted to see why my speakerphone option wasn't working and it happened software was my issue, while hardware was yours. It's good to know either case can inhibit the speakerphone function from working, but bad for the person for the problem. Still, if you are jailbroken I think it is a good idea to do a 'restore' with DFU mode of official iPhone firmware to see if the problem goes away or not. At least then you know if you have to visit the AT&T\Apple store to get a replacement iPhone if still within warranty.