iPhone 3G Linksys WiFi connection question

mcnf

Jul 11, 2008
another newbie question...

I have a linksys router at home and when I try to connect to our home network (secure) it asks for a password. All I have is an encryption key. When I enter that info (taking care to be case sensitive) it denies me access. Am I using the right info for the password? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
encryption = password (pretty much).

are you using WEP encryption? this always seems to be a problem for Macs and iPhone.

If you can switch your router to WPA or WPA2, this would work better and be more secure.

If you must use WEP, try enteirng the key in hex. this should show up in the setup screen on the Linksys... usually 26 characters long for WEP 128.

enter it into the iPhone with a $ in front of it.

good luck

mcnf

Jul 11, 2008
Thanks....for the moment I was able to connect when we unsecured the network. However, I still an unable to see the wifi connection signal in the status bar and when I try to do something like connect to the iTunes store it tells me I must be connected to a wifi network even though moments earlier I have ensured that I was connected. Is this all part of the same problem? Thanks so much!

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
WEP can be nasty. Your device can tell you that you are connected .... but that does NOT mean you are authenticated (and thereforee unable to do anything).

so, yes.... probably same problem.