iPhone 3G - mic not working!

bigh11

Dec 14, 2008
Hi

I'm new to this forum, so hello :laugh2:

I've had a reconditioned iPhone 3G (got it on contract with 02) for just over a week and today the mic isn't working. I can hear people but they can't hear me. I tried doing the google voice search but it can't hear me either. I don't know why it's suddenly not working? Really confused :confused:

I've turned it off and back on again (used to fix everything with my last phone lol) but it's still not working.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Big H x

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi

I'm new to this forum, so hello :laugh2:

I've had a reconditioned iPhone 3G (got it on contract with 02) for just over a week and today the mic isn't working. I can hear people but they can't hear me. I tried doing the google voice search but it can't hear me either. I don't know why it's suddenly not working? Really confused :confused:

I've turned it off and back on again (used to fix everything with my last phone lol) but it's still not working.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Big H x
Go back to the store and complain about this...I don't think you can fix this yourself!

iphonebob

Jul 8, 2007
Wow ! ---- Didn't think there were (any) reconditioned 3G phone's available yet --- I have turned my new 3G in for replacement (due to a GPS chip problem) and the Genius Tech said that all the replacements given out in the plain white boxes were "New Units" as there aren't any reconditioned phones available yet.

Either this was just plain "BS" on the Genius part or I am wrong.

Further info needed here from you guys !

bigh11

Dec 14, 2008
Thanks for your replies :)

No I didn't hit the mute button :laugh2:

O2 definitely have reconditioned phones, trust me :) I don't know whether they are just for upgrades or what but they definitely have them.

I've rung o2 anyway and they are sending me a new one, yay!

WillemA

Jun 23, 2011
This forum is quite old but I just had the same problem with my phone so thought I would share how I fixed it. Initially thought it was the mic itself and got a £3.50 one of Ebay and soldered it in. No luck. What I found though was that it was actually the case that was loose causing the issue. If I pressed the phone back casing and screen together it starts working together it works. I ordered a new case so will be replacing it. Hope this works for someone.

Nov 16, 2011
New York, New York
Thanks WillemA - I found this after going to the Apple store. I saw a slight gap in the casing on the bottom of my 3GS, stuck some super glue in there and held it shut with a binder clip for a few minutes. Works great now. Thanks.

Atieno

Nov 22, 2011
Thanks WillemA - I found this after going to the Apple store. I saw a slight gap in the casing on the bottom of my 3GS, stuck some super glue in there and held it shut with a binder clip for a few minutes. Works great now. Thanks.
I did the same thing and now my phone is working. I tested it by calling myself and when I pressed my phone together where the gap was I could hear myself. I'm sure this is a temp fix but it worked.
I am sure getting the casing replaced would also work like WillemA did.