iPhone 3G...new to this

Sep 21, 2008
so i want an iPhone 3g badly but i don't want to have to activate it in store. Is there a way i can purchase it without having to activate it in store? also i want to use it with a prepaid plan is there any way to do that? :laugh2:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Welcome to EIC! No, with the iPhone 3G, you must activate it in the store (Apple or AT&T) before you leave the store. The only time they allowed you to take it home to activate it was on release day on July 11 when they were having technical problems with activation and couldn't do them in stores, AFAIK. This is how I activated my iPhone 3G.

I believe you can activate with a pay-as-you-go account and I'm guessing you'll have to select that option at purchase and your best bet would be to go to an AT&T store for that. I'm sure another member here who has experience with this could provide more details.

Sep 21, 2008
Welcome to EIC! No, with the iPhone 3G, you must activate it in the store (Apple or AT&T) before you leave the store. The only time they allowed you to take it home to activate it was on release day on July 11 when they were having technical problems with activation and couldn't do them in stores, AFAIK. This is how I activated my iPhone 3G.

I believe you can activate with a pay-as-you-go account and I'm guessing you'll have to select that option at purchase and your best bet would be to go to an AT&T store for that. I'm sure another member here who has experience with this could provide more details.
oh thanks, i guess ill drop by the Apple store and ask if there is a pay as you go plan...why would they not let you activate it yourself though? makes no sense.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
why would they not let you activate it yourself though? makes no sense.
Home activation was possible with the first-generation iPhone, but AT&T wanted to cut down on people purchasing them, unlocking them, and selling them or using them with another carrier. So, with the iPhone 3G, activation at purchase in the store means they are sure to get a new contract with every sale. Just another way for them to ensure they get their money with every iPhone purchase...

Sep 21, 2008
Home activation was possible with the first-generation iPhone, but AT&T wanted to cut down on people purchasing them, unlocking them, and selling them or using them with another carrier. So, with the iPhone 3G, activation at purchase in the store means they are sure to get a new contract with every sale. Just another way for them to ensure they get their money with every iPhone purchase...
oh ya that makes a lot more sense. making more money. thats all that matters.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
According to engadget there are rumors about that at-home activation may soon be possible again. These rumors come with the possible announcement of a 32 GB iPhone 3G next week. I am doubting both of these however, ESPECIALLY the at-home activation. It seems improbable that AT&T would allow for that again.